What's new

Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50 v. 2.5.0.42SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

2019-12-19_16-23-02.jpg
I see new firmware!

Agree. And other thing: as far as I understand this is "MOD" i.e. hacking binary version of official firmware. I deal with source codes. Normal compilation. Modification of binary is not interesting and illegal I think. And I prefer to avoid any illegal stuffs.

P.S.
And BTW, sorry, but I do not understand Chinese...

Voxel.

about the process:
config set wla_2nd_operation_mode=9
config set wla_2nd_operation_mode=1
config set wla_2nd_ssid=testorbi
config set wla_2nd_endis_ssid_broadcast=1
config set wla_2nd_auth=2
config set wla_2nd_rts=2347
config set endis_wla_2nd_wmm=1
config set wla_2nd_tpscale=100
config set wla_2nd_rps=1
config set i_wla_2nd_br=br0
config set wla_2nd_doth=1
config commit

recovery method:
config set wla_2nd_operation_mode=6
config set wla_2nd_ssid=
config set wla_2nd_endis_ssid_broadcast=
config set wla_2nd_auth=
config set wla_2nd_rts=
config set endis_wla_2nd_wmm=
config set wla_2nd_tpscale=
config set wla_2nd_rps=
config set wla_2nd_doth=
config commit

Some people use the Ethernet backhaul to release this 1733 function, which will be very useful

Hi Voxel,

Firmware ver: 9.2.5.1.10 has bug, after 15 days satellite can not connect to router, I can not remove satellite on router attached devices tab.

about the process:
config set wla_2nd_operation_mode=9
config set wla_2nd_operation_mode=1
config set wla_2nd_ssid=testorbi
config set wla_2nd_auth=2
config set endis_wla_2nd_wmm=1
config set wla_2nd_tpscale=100
config set wla_2nd_rps=1
config set i_wla_2nd_br=br0
config set wla_2nd_doth=1
config commit

recovery method:
config set wla_2nd_operation_mode=6
config set wla_2nd_ssid=
config set wla_2nd_endis_ssid_broadcast=
config set wla_2nd_auth=
config set wla_2nd_rts=
config set endis_wla_2nd_wmm=
config set wla_2nd_tpscale=
config set wla_2nd_rps=
config set wla_2nd_doth=
config commit

Some people use the Ethernet backhaul to release this 1733 function, which will be very useful

Hi, how to use main ssid for it???
I test by ssis name testorbi. Speed is 866Mbps (my intel card 9260) distance router & pc is 0.5 meter. It does not reach to 1733Mbps.
And other device can not connect to satellite because poor signal (2.4Ghz between router and satellite). Status wifi is 3 lines (good quality).

Sorry for the naive question, but there are no explicit instructions in the voxel-firmware README or on this thread: what is the proper upgrade path for an RBK50 and its satellites? I presume it's something like:
  1. factory reset via web interface
  2. flash RBK50-V9.2.5.1.11SF-HW to router
  3. flash RBK50-V9.2.5.1.11SF-HW to each satellite in turn
  4. optionally factory reset again
  5. manually reconfigured everything from the web interface
I ask mostly because Netgear provides separate RBR vs. RBS packages to flash, and Voxel does not. Thanks!

No there is 1 downloadable .zip file which contains two separate FW files. 1 is for the RBS which should be updated first RBS50-V9.2.5.1.10SF-HW.img, then the other separate file should be used to update the RBR lastly.
RBR50-V9.2.5.1.10SF-HW.img
Sorry for the naive question, but there are no explicit instructions in the voxel-firmware README or on this thread: what is the proper upgrade path for an RBK50 and its satellites? I presume it's something like:
  1. factory reset via web interface
  2. flash RBK50-V9.2.5.1.11SF-HW to router
  3. flash RBK50-V9.2.5.1.11SF-HW to each satellite in turn
  4. optionally factory reset again
  5. manually reconfigured everything from the web interface
I ask mostly because Netgear provides separate RBR vs. RBS packages to flash, and Voxel does not. Thanks!

No there is 1 downloadable .zip file which contains two separate FW files. 1 is for the RBS which should be updated first RBS50-V9.2.5.1.10SF-HW.img, then the other separate file should be used to update the RBR lastly.
RBR50-V9.2.5.1.10SF-HW.img

Thank you! I should have downloaded and expanded the zip :(

Installed fine for me. Also did manual firmware update on my RBS50, which I had left "stock" previously. I had recently attached my original RBR50 to the Voxel router as an Access Point running the stock 2.5.1.8 to check a report about AP and the Guest network not being separate from the primary network. The satellite appeared to be a bit confused to find two RBR50's going at once and didn't know which one to sync with.

It has been over 24 hours and I notice that the satellite does not seem to inherit Device Names from the router. i.e. on the satellite:
upload_2020-3-1_22-41-28.png

On the router, all of these devices have names, types, and model numbers.

When on stock FW, did the RBS inherit the device names correctly?
Wonder if A reset maybe needed. Or Time...

Installed fine for me. Also did manual firmware update on my RBS50, which I had left "stock" previously. I had recently attached my original RBR50 to the Voxel router as an Access Point running the stock 2.5.1.8 to check a report about AP and the Guest network not being separate from the primary network. The satellite appeared to be a bit confused to find two RBR50's going at once and didn't know which one to sync with.

It has been over 24 hours and I notice that the satellite does not seem to inherit Device Names from the router. i.e. on the satellite:
View attachment 21701
On the router, all of these devices have names, types, and model numbers.

Has anyone flashed the Orbi Outdoor Satellite (RBS50Y) with Voxel's firmware? Is this a supported device?

Thanks!

The RBSY is NOT supported. Only the RBR50 and RBS50 is supported.
Has anyone flashed the Orbi Outdoor Satellite (RBS50Y) with Voxel's firmware? Is this a supported device?

Thanks!

Run All Stock FW on everything or All Voxels on everything and stock on the RBSY. The RBSY should work fine.

Hi There,
Noob questions before trying this nice Firmware on my own:
  1. Are the actual Netgear Armor and Disney Circle features supported in Voxel firmwares ?
  2. Does Voxel firmware support USB attached 4G/LTE sticks to enable backup internet or as default ?
  3. Does Voxel supports miniupnpc as I have actually a need for it due to a double NAT scenario ?
Thank you !

Hi There,
Noob questions before trying this nice Firmware on my own:
  1. Are the actual Netgear Armor and Disney Circle features supported in Voxel firmwares ?
  2. Does Voxel firmware support USB attached 4G/LTE sticks to enable backup internet or as default ?
  3. Does Voxel supports miniupnpc as I have actually a need for it due to a double NAT scenario ?
Thank you !

Let me try to find my own answers thanks to the RN in Voxel Firmware files:
  1. Yes
  2. No
  3. Yes, by installing Entware specific package....
@Voxel should you confirm please ?

Let me try to find my own answers thanks to the RN in Voxel Firmware files:
  1. Yes
  2. No
  3. Yes, by installing Entware specific package....
@Voxel should you confirm please ?

1. Yes
2. LTE modem attached to USB port is supported as default (just if no WAN cable is attached, detected after reboot). USB LTE was used by me long time. But I tested only so called HiLink mode modems (RNDIS/CDC-ether).
3. Not ready to answer. Did not test. Maybe Entware.

Voxel.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!