What's new

Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50 v. 2.5.0.42SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is awesome. I just bought this set last night.
When I updated to the “latest” though, it’s 2.3.5.30. Did they release 2.5x and pull it back?

From what I understand, v30 had it's certificate expire. They came out with v38 which broke device naming and also it's cert was expired. They came out with v40 to fix the cert in v38. They then came out with v34 to fix the cert in v30 which still had working device naming function. Device naming is still broke after v30. NG is working on this. NG pulled v38 and v40 from there FW update notification servers for Orbi. So NG recommends using either v30 or v34 for users with concerns about device naming and or cert problems. I personally tested v38 and had v40 loaded. Other than the device naming issue, I don't care about the cert problem, v38 and v40 worked normally otherwise.

NG added only self signed certificate to V2.3.5.34 and V2.5.0.40. So it does not solve the problem with warning displayed by such browsers as e.g. Chrome if using https connection to Orbi.

BTW I checked both 2.5.0.38 and 2.5.0.40. The only difference is that self signed (home made) certificate and some space reserved for this certificate in internal memory of Orbi. No any other differences. The rest is identical. Just FYI.

Yet another issue with Orbi is the same name for 2.4GHz nd 5GHz SSIDs. I do not like it (personal preferences) and it is problematic for me during testing. So I'll allow different SSIDs in the next release. I am not sure that I am able to fix device naming... No source codes for scan device utility.

Voxel.

I presume NG isn't going to fix the HTTPS for local log in web page. I know that NG has talked about looking into it. However said there are other factors involved at this time. For the most part HTTP is still usable and users just need to be aware it takes someone from the LAN side to do anything to effect something if someone is going to be logging in from the LAN side and do something nefarious.

Well smart connect and signal SSID is only supported on Stock FW by NG. Most of the problems users see are with 2.4Ghz devices, however we've found that its not Orbi or the devices them selves, its' the Mfrs setup software. There software is limiting the setup wifi mobile device to 2.4ghz and expects this device to be connected to the 2.4Ghz radio during setup. Though most setup mobile devices are dual band and most connect at 5Ghz. NG implemented a solution to allow users to temporary hid or stop the SSID broadcast on 5ghz to allow the setup mobile device to connect to the 2.4Ghz radio during the setup process, then once the 2.4Ghz devices as fully connected, user then re-enabled the 5Ghz SSID broadcast. So be aware of this. This is a working solution for those with these devices.

Another item to be aware of is that users have been separating the SSIDs due to mostly the above info. However this has case a side effect with the status reported by the UI for the RBS. Status given is Wired or Wireless and Good and Poor status information in the UI. When users have gone in and separated the SSIDs, this leads to be report in the UI of "config sync" being seen in the UI for the RBS. Users have expected this to be a NG FW issue which in part, it is, however its not a supported operation mode for Orbi thus NG doesn't support separation of the SSID separation. The fix for the config sync being seeing in the UI status for the RBS is to not separate the SSID. However if one doesn't mind the "config sync status issue then of course, use it as users see fit. So if you can offer separation of SSIDs and maybe correct the status for this behavior as well. Just something to be aware of. Smart Connect and single SSID seems to work for most. Works well for me in testing. Though there are some who want the separation feature.

I figured the scan device code maybe NG proprietary. Seems to have changed though when going from v30 to v38 I noticed.

I would like to see a reboot button on the RBS web page. o_O

One other item that if you could implement, users would love it if you could unhide the disable or enable the FW auto update check in the UI and make this operational? NG seems to have a thinking of pushing FW updates for major versions out to Orbi users. NG has stepped back some on this in recent year. However has never given users the ability to completely disable the auto update feature where other non Orbi routers do offer this full feature to users.

Last edited:
NG added only self signed certificate to V2.3.5.34 and V2.5.0.40. So it does not solve the problem with warning displayed by such browsers as e.g. Chrome if using https connection to Orbi.

BTW I checked both 2.5.0.38 and 2.5.0.40. The only difference is that self signed (home made) certificate and some space reserved for this certificate in internal memory of Orbi. No any other differences. The rest is identical. Just FYI.

Yet another issue with Orbi is the same name for 2.4GHz nd 5GHz SSIDs. I do not like it (personal preferences) and it is problematic for me during testing. So I'll allow different SSIDs in the next release. I am not sure that I am able to fix device naming... No source codes for scan device utility.

Voxel.
I for one sure support the idea of allowing separate SSIDs. I'm running that now on an Orbi with three satellites (2 daisy chained) in AP mode and it's the only way for everything in my house/garage/guest apartment to stay connected, regardless of arguments to the contrary. I have a garage that is separated from the house (wired is not an option here and powerline doesn't not work because of the electrical system topology and noise) and only ORBI has had the requisite large antennas and power to breach the gap with any appreciable speed. I need the ORBI to stay a viable solution and for me that means separate SSIDs.

Thanks so much for your efforts Voxel! Its amazing you would do this.

First, I'd like to appreciate your work Voxel :)

I have installed your firmware, but after enabling telnet now I cannot login into the router. After entering "admin" as username, it doesn't allow me to enter any password and I get the "Login incorrect" message directly:

Code:
====================LOGIN=========================

Please enter account and password!!
==================================================
RBR50 login: admin

Login incorrect

This didn't happen with the original firmware, I could login using telnet previously. I've tried rebooting and flashing the firmware again, but it didn't help...

Voxel.

When do you plan to release the new version that allows separate SSIDs? This has been my biggest complaint about the device. Also, when you updating I assume the select the manual update tab and also select all your satellites after you upgrade your main router? I have been on version V2.3.5.30 of the stock firmware because I had to separate my SSIDs or I had nothing but issues with several devices only connecting to 2.4. Can't wait to give this a try.

The main work around for stock FW and getting 2.4Ghz devices to connect is this:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Or...wann-Camera/m-p/1822475/highlight/true#M75403
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Or...-Orbi-RBR40/m-p/1712069/highlight/true#M53584

Be aware that the main issue of these 2.4Ghz IoT devices is that the IoT Mfrs setup software limites or requires the setup phone or device to be connected to a 2.4Ghz SSID source. These IoT mfrs fail to realized that most Phones and Pads are dual band and prefer 5Ghz over 2.4Ghz. 2.4 and 5Ghz are on the SAME NETWORK as well. It's the IoT MFrs setup software that is limiting and non recognizing of these facts. NGs works around solution works for stock FW in getting 2.4Ghz devices to connect to the single SSID name and PW on Orbi.

When do you plan to release the new version that allows separate SSIDs? This has been my biggest complaint about the device. Also, when you updating I assume the select the manual update tab and also select all your satellites after you upgrade your main router? I have been on version V2.3.5.30 of the stock firmware because I had to separate my SSIDs or I had nothing but issues with several devices only connecting to 2.4. Can't wait to give this a try.

The main work around for stock FW and getting 2.4Ghz devices to connect is this:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Or...wann-Camera/m-p/1822475/highlight/true#M75403
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Or...-Orbi-RBR40/m-p/1712069/highlight/true#M53584

Be aware that the main issue of these 2.4Ghz IoT devices is that the IoT Mfrs setup software limites or requires the setup phone or device to be connected to a 2.4Ghz SSID source. These IoT mfrs fail to realized that most Phones and Pads are dual band and prefer 5Ghz over 2.4Ghz. 2.4 and 5Ghz are on the SAME NETWORK as well. It's the IoT MFrs setup software that is limiting and non recognizing of these facts. NGs works around solution works for stock FW in getting 2.4Ghz devices to connect to the single SSID name and PW on Orbi.

Mine was not 2.4G devices. I was noticing xboxes,roku's and apple devices that should have connected to 5G but were only connecting to 2.4G and I couldn't get them to connect to 5G without 2 separate networks. I can't turn my 2.4G down because of the wifi cameras I have. Since I set up 2 separate networks it has been working great.

Voxel, one additional request to help users understand your builds and support on Orbi 50 series systems. Please mention that even though this is for RBR50 and RBS50, NG has these "kits" which are inclusive of the RBR50 and RBS50. Please mention in your build posts that they support RBK50 and RBK53 as well. Some users are questioning the support of your FW on these RBK systems, not realizing that they include the a fore mentioned RBR and RBS models. The RBK50 is a box kit with a RBR50 and 1 RBS50. The RBK53 is a box kit with 1 RBR and 2 RBS in the box. All of which are the same and all support your build of FW.

I'll be sure to help users understand this as well.

Thank you.

Be aware that placement of RBS and RBR is key and also devices decides on which frequency to connect to, based on noise, signal and quality. All of which are effected by building materials. Concrete, metal and lead based painted walls can effect signal strength.

My house is mostly wood and sheet rock. All my devices pick correct frequencies. I have a mix of 2.4 and 5G devices. Most of the 5G devices connect to 5G using single SSID name and PW. Have two xbox game consoles as well.

Mine was not 2.4G devices. I was noticing xboxes,roku's and apple devices that should have connected to 5G but were only connecting to 2.4G and I couldn't get them to connect to 5G without 2 separate networks. I can't turn my 2.4G down because of the wifi cameras I have. Since I set up 2 separate networks it has been working great.

Be aware that placement of RBS and RBR is key and also devices decides on which frequency to connect to, based on noise, signal and quality. All of which are effected by building materials. Concrete, metal and lead based painted walls can effect signal strength.

My house is mostly wood and sheet rock. All my devices pick correct frequencies. I have a mix of 2.4 and 5G devices. Most of the 5G devices connect to 5G using single SSID name and PW. Have two xbox game consoles as well.

My house is 4800 sq ft mostly wood and sheet rock except some concrete in the basement. I have an RBR50 with 3 RBS50 satellites. I have tried everything. My next step is going to be to wire some of the devices so maybe I won't have as many on the network. We have 8 kids and most of them have wifi devices. I plan to hard wire all the xboxes(6) and all the rokus(8) and I think that will help and maybe then I can switch back to single SSID.

Ah I see. Mines 5000 sq ft and use just 1 RBS down in the basement. It's wired however. about 30-35 feet from the RBR on the 2nd story.

Yes, for gaming consoles, wired if preferred. Especially if there online at the same time playing same game at the same time.

Might consider some non managed, non green Ethernet Gb switches to help out too.

Ah I see. Mines 5000 sq ft and use just 1 RBS down in the basement. It's wired however. about 30-35 feet from the RBR on the 2nd story.

Yes, for gaming consoles, wired if preferred. Especially if there online at the same time playing same game at the same time.

Might consider some non managed, non green Ethernet Gb switches to help out too.

So did you wire your satellites as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one yes, always wired if possible unless I'm requested to test wireless.

Last edited:
I would like to see a reboot button on the RBS web page. o_O
Well. Maybe. But not right now. Reason is that net-cgi (CGI processor) is included into GPL sources in binary form. So I am almost cannot change the GUI... So (at least temporary) changes in GUI are minimal.

P.S.
BTW I just use SSH/telnet login to satellite to reboot it remotely... I am too lazy to walk to other floor where my RBS is located :).

Voxel.

This didn't happen with the original firmware, I could login using telnet previously. I've tried rebooting and flashing the firmware again, but it didn't help...
Thanks for your report. I'll check. There was something like that during my internal betas with this but I do not remember such an obstacle (fatal impossibility to login by telnet). BTW I'd recommend to establish SSH access to the router/satellite. SSH authorization by keys is used. In my quick start readme it is mentioned...

BTW, try also to enter using "root" account, not "admin".

Voxel.

When do you plan to release the new version that allows separate SSIDs?

I hope to release it soon. This week. Testing phase.

But note: this separation of the SSIDs is performed manually, using telnet/ssh. Not using GUI.

Voxel.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!