What's new

Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50 v. 2.5.0.42SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

First, I'd like to appreciate your work Voxel :)

I have installed your firmware, but after enabling telnet now I cannot login into the router. After entering "admin" as username, it doesn't allow me to enter any password and I get the "Login incorrect" message directly:

Code:
====================LOGIN=========================

Please enter account and password!!
==================================================
RBR50 login: admin

Login incorrect

This didn't happen with the original firmware, I could login using telnet previously. I've tried rebooting and flashing the firmware again, but it didn't help...

Same happening here. I get a password prompt for a fictitious login.

orbi telnet.jpg

I added it on a new voxel.htm page...:cool:
But its up to Voxel where to put it in his release.

If you can get a tar.gz-file to your router (ftp/ssh/usb etc), I can send it to you, so you can try it out.
If, so just PM your mail-address.

Thank you too for all help to the community! :)
(It would be easy to add a GUI for separate SSIDs when you point to so clear instructions!)

Kewl, please let me know if I can help test this out.

I presume Voxel can determine where to place the reboot button if it can be added. There are just 3 menus to pick from. Maybe on the Status page at the bottom or as a last button on the left side under LogOut? Up to you guys.

Thank you so much.

Awesome, sent you a PM.

Well hoping Voxel can make something happen. There are some considerations for separation of SSIDs. Historically this seems to cause a Config Sync status to be seen in current stock FW. So there are some current requirements I'm sure that have to be solved.

The reboot button would be nice to have on the RBS. Especially in remote locations. :confused:

it does not allow me to update firmware to v2.2.1.212, at any cost i tried everything

As I said at least flashing using TFTP should work. However NG warns:

https://kb.netgear.com/000061393/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-5-0-40-Hot-Fix

that it cannot be updated directly to 2.3 or higher. I.e. intermediate flashing is needed. I had to do such an intermediate flashing when I got my Orbi. The same intermediate flashing is needed for stock 2.5.0.40 (this version I use as a basis).

Voxel.

Hello,

i have the same telnet problem ...

can´t login with admin or root...
give it an workaround ???
load factory defaults ???

best greetings
Jan
rbr50.jpg

Is your system not at v212 already? If your FW is at a lower version, say v1.x.x.x, you have to update the system using v2.0.0.74 stock FW. Then you can go directly to any latest version of stock or Voxels FW on the RBS first. To go from v2.0.0.74 on the RBR, you then need to apply v212 on the RBR, then you can go from there to any recent stock version or Voxels version on the RBR lastly.

Review this notes here:
https://kb.netgear.com/000060612/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-2-1-212

I would get the system updated using the stock FW versions first. Then apply Voxels FW afterwards.

it does not allow me to update firmware to v2.2.1.212, at any cost i tried everything

Only for the RBR50 unit that's included in the RBK50v kit. The RBS50 FW will not be compatible for the RBS40v which is completely different from the RBS50.

Will this work on RBK50V?

Seems faster, so far no issues. Thanks for creating this!

What is the plan to ensure Netgear stock firmware doesn't auto update over the top of this when they issue the next major update?

Last edited:
Hello,

Unfortunately today I experienced the same slow down issue as the stock version. I had to reboot to get it fixed.

If there is anything I can do to help troubleshoot, please let me know.

I can disable by dnsmasq real IP of NG's firmware update sites... But after that downloads of this Parental Control and maybe this armor also will be disabled... Is it OK?

Well, simplest solution is the best. I'll just start numeration of my viresons from "9". So my version will be newest for a long time....

Voxel.

Hello,

Unfortunately today I experienced the same slow down issue as the stock version. I had to reboot to get it fixed.

If there is anything I can do to help troubleshoot, please let me know.
Thanks, but let us first synchronize the versions. I'll release new version soon. I am using it now myself. So please wait a bit.

Voxel.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!