What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.22SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is there a way to use that wget command to d/l the ssh tarball to the router?

Sorry, unclear question.

"wget" is available in this custom firmware. If you have the problems in getting "setssh.tar" from your router, you can use any USB stick to copy it from this stick to, say, /tmp and untar to the same /tmp directory. Then usual "cp" command (copy). All this could be done using telnet.

Voxel.

Sorry, unclear question.

"wget" is available in this custom firmware. If you have the problems in getting "setssh.tar" from your router, you can use any USB stick to copy it from this stick to, say, /tmp and untar to the same /tmp directory. Then usual "cp" command (copy). All this could be done using telnet.

Voxel.
Thanks for your patients.
I apologize for my ignorance. I just don't do much of this stuff any more since I'm not working with it any more.
I thought the usb stick had to be formatted in ext2-3, not NTFS.
Router won't read a usb stick formatted ext2 or 3 for some reason.

Thanks for your patients.
I apologize for my ignorance. I just don't do much of this stuff any more since I'm not working with it any more.
I thought the usb stick had to be formatted in ext2-3, not NTFS.
Router won't read a usb stick formatted ext2 or 3 for some reason.

No problems. I have to support people using my build.

Router is able to read stick/read formatted in ext2/3/4 and NTFS too. But NTFS cannot not keep Linux permissions. So it is why I suggested you to untar it to /tmp.

BTW, it is better to use ext4 (for future use). More advanced system and more stable.

P.S.
And to refresh you Linux skills ;-) : you can format your stick by ext2/3/4 from router console (e.g. from telnet). Something like:

umount /mnt/sda1
mkfs.ext4 -L MyLabel /dev/sda1

Voxel.

No problems. I have to support people using my build.

Router is able to read stick/read formatted in ext2/3/4 and NTFS too. But NTFS cannot not keep Linux permissions. So it is why I suggested you to untar it to /tmp.

BTW, it is better to use ext4 (for future use). More advanced system and more stable.

P.S.
And to refresh you Linux skills ;-) : you can format your stick by ext2/3/4 from router console (e.g. from telnet). Something like:

umount /mnt/sda1
mkfs.ext4 -L MyLabel /dev/sda1

Voxel.
Thanks, again!

Another thanks here too - been using the latest version for the last week and it's been rock solid, no reboots required - it just, well works :).
I agree!
This is very stable and I don't have to worry about complaints from my users.
The only thing I have to worry about is the hardware locking up with the "Esata" issue, though Netgear was very good about replacing the router.
Both Voxel and I had the same problem, but mine was on the X4s(Though it could have been my fault as the first time I removed the usb drive, I didn't know there was a "Safe" way to do it as on a pc. Just not sure if that could have caused a problem or not).
Voxel said he had the "Esata" issue with the stock firmware. So does not pertain to his firmware. He also said he thinks it is a hardware issue.

Last edited:
Generally speaking, the "safe" removal of a USB drive from a router or computer has to do with shutting down the USB drive so that it doesn't lose any data. There may be data in buffers in the router or computer that hasn't yet been written to the USB drive at the point when you just pull the plug rather than "safe to remove hardware" way. This shouldn't screw up the computer or router, just the USB drive itself.

I have a feeling that whatever took your router down was something else. At least, I hope so.

Update: I installed Voxel's FW build on Feb 5. I have had zero problems with this build. It has also seemed to fix a problem I was having where the 4 ports would lock up and not pass traffic, the wireless during this problem continued to work. But any device attached through a hardwired switch and attached to the internet with a physical wire would not. Happy to say I have not had this issue since I installed the Voxel FW.

Thanks again Voxel!! We appreciate your work.

Generally speaking, the "safe" removal of a USB drive from a router or computer has to do with shutting down the USB drive so that it doesn't lose any data. There may be data in buffers in the router or computer that hasn't yet been written to the USB drive at the point when you just pull the plug rather than "safe to remove hardware" way. This shouldn't screw up the computer or router, just the USB drive itself.

I have a feeling that whatever took your router down was something else. At least, I hope so.
Yes, but there is current flowing through usb unlike the old serial and it could cause a problem

Yes, but there is current flowing through usb unlike the old serial and it could cause a problem

Yes, but USB is designed to be safe to hotplug, so that shouldn't be a problem if everyone is doing real USB.

Last edited:
Yes, but USB is designed to be safe to hotplug, so that shouldn't be a problem if everyone is doing real USB.
I'm not disagreeing with you. I just like to be safe. I read an article about unplugging a usb printer and it said that it is best to turn your computer off before disconnecting. One guy said he had a spark when he pulled the plug and it took out his usb port on his pc.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I just like to be safe. I read an article about unplugging a usb printer and it said that it is best to turn your computer off before disconnecting. One guy said he had a spark when he pulled the plug and it took out his usb port on his pc.

I'm not sure what to say about that particular printer *smile*. I've never seen any sparks or ill effects from hotplugging USB, personally, and I have various storage drives, phones, bluetooth stuff, etc. that all get hotplugged. Can't deny anyone else's experiences, though *smile*.

I agree it's better to err on the side of caution, though, as a general principle.

I'm not sure what to say about that particular printer *smile*. I've never seen any sparks or ill effects from hotplugging USB, personally, and I have various storage drives, phones, bluetooth stuff, etc. that all get hotplugged. Can't deny anyone else's experiences, though *smile*.

I agree it's better to err on the side of caution, though, as a general principle.
Just a precaution after "Esata" experience.

Just a precaution after "Esata" experience.
You're not alone dude. I'm having the same problem with esata but only with this firmware. I know this is based on factory firmware but I have not nor have ever had this problem with stock. I have tried this firmware several times over the last 6 months but never considered the esata port as the problem. Running good for a few days since I unplugged my drive enclosure. Never made it a day before with any version. Router would randomly reboot. I do not have a usb 3 cable long enough to reach my enclosure but I bet it will be fine in that port. This firmware is faster with my wired devices than factory and it handles torrent traffic better as well. I have a second R7800 in bridge mode and can not run this firmware on it. Just does not connect to router. Back to stock and it connects right away. Does not really matter, just thought I would mention it. Thanks to Voxel. Your firmware flies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!