What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.32SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

As i said earlier. Its not Just QOS keep crashing. It only crashes when i updated the Database to v4.0

I am currently with V2.0 QOS database. I have no such problem the QOS is working as intended. Be it stock or even Voxel firmware it crashes.

The reason i leave the browser as it is due to i keep hibernating my pc for same day until i need to reboot. Its a desktop. As every timeboot is a mess even though i run the pc on ssd.

Hence all i can see is my environment is unique and it cant be replicated so hence no crash for other's but few do reported this issues.

I am more concerned on QOS is that because when it crashes the priority reset and i losses internet connection on wireless devices alone . But i dont need to reboot the router but just to disconnect and reconnect the client. Still the qos not working is clearly visible. Assuming every devices was reset to low priority.

As i said earlier. Its not Just QOS keep crashing. It only crashes when i updated the Database to v4.0

I am currently with V2.0 QOS database. I have no such problem the QOS is working as intended. Be it stock or even Voxel firmware it crashes.

Is somebody able to help me in understanding what is crashed? My English probably is too bad.

Voxel.

Is somebody able to help me in understanding what is crashed? My English probably is too bad.

Voxel.
Hi Voxel,

I said qos work with v2. 0 database both stock firmware and your latest 32F. I raised support ticket and netgear engineers want to remote access my router and see the actual crash and it crashed.

In this frequent remote sessions i was moving back and forth from Stock to your firmware.

Hence the issue that qos started crashing even with v2.0

Once i reset it was back to working fine with no crash for past 2 day running fine with v2.0

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Hi Voxel,

I said qos work with v2. 0 database both stock firmware and your latest 32F. I raised support ticket and netgear engineers want to remote access my router and see the actual crash and it crashed.

In this frequent remote sessions i was moving back and forth from Stock to your firmware.

Hence the issue that qos started crashing even with v2.0

Once i reset it was back to working fine with no crash for past 2 day running fine with v2.0

So, in my understanding: currently QoS 2.o is OK for you, right? I.e. Killhippie's suggestion to do reset was helpful, right (thanks for him)?

If "yes" just leave these your settings. Better (for you) to do not do experiments with QoS anymore. Really, I do not think that Netgear's support will be able to help you with this. IMO you should just downgrade your QoS DB version to 2.0 every time when you do flash my build. And forget it as a trouble.

Voxel.

Yes i dont think i can show case actual panic log or any log which show it crashed because of this. But they reverted back saying my Desktop pc is casuing this issue.

I replied to them. It cant be as i didnt connect to router directly as i connect it to my N900 centria router. Not only this devices is connected also my nas is connected and its wired.

It could be one reason that since the QOS tends to crash or fails while my desktop is most frequently used to access the router gui.

I still yet to get response from them.

Only thing i dont know or engineer's can answer is that if the service is behaving abnormally what could be cause. As by default the service should start when stopped or not running. If running it will stop it and then start it.

In my case when the QOS was not working will all the pre-checkup done. If issued a start or restart command it will start the running or stopped service and stop it . So weired

I am trying to forget this issue as it cant be solved for now till the next db update or firmware for security or any other fix comes up. So far working fine with v2.0 QOS.

Voxel.
I think the issue is with his PC and that's causing problems maybe its his pc that's crashing and taking down the router too. I don't understand why thinking having a SSD would make everything okay, other things can go wrong too. Also now it seems QoS is working or maybe not again in second reply I am confused. Maybe he has malware issues or NIC problems?

Last edited:
I didnt not connect directly to router. It is bridged via N900 .

uptime.png

So far i have done say 10 time idle timedout access to router gui. and 10 more times idle timedout remote access

Not even a single crash. Just have to reset to factory before coming back to stock with v2.0 database.

I wish to come back to Voxel but sometime i am confused as even downgrading the QOS the QOS tab says v4.0 so not sure if it really downgraded as at times it also crashes the qos.

Hi Voxel,

Today 1 hr before i took remote access from My office pc and there was a delay in typing the password. Say 1-2min. I was doing some other work

once i have typed the right password. It crashes the QOS. I never have this issue before for past 4+ days.

I see this line every streamboost restarting command.

sysinit: Could not connect to 127.0.0.1:9000

and this command

sysinit: streamboost: StreamBoost: Executing start all

sysinit: [ OK ] 60_ozker stop

sysinit: [ OK ] 52_p0f stop

sysinit: [ OK ] 50_drflocs stop

sysinit: [ OK ] 49_cape stop

sysinit: [ OK ] 45_flowman stop

sysinit: [ OK ] 44_overlord stop

sysinit: [ OK ] 43_flowmark stop

sysinit: [ OK ] 40_qdiscman stop

sysinit: Terminated

the above line was 100 times in the basisc debug log

In these 4 days almost 146 entries on streamboost executing start all and and 100+ on termination and 46+ times on could not connect in the basic debug log and console log a total of 7mb console log1+2 combined

Hi Voxel,

Today 1 hr before i took remote access from My office pc and there was a delay in typing the password. Say 1-2min. I was doing some other work

once i have typed the right password. It crashes the QOS. I never have this issue before for past 4+ days.

I see this line every streamboost restarting command.

and this command

sysinit: streamboost: StreamBoost: Executing start all

sysinit: [ OK ] 60_ozker stop

sysinit: [ OK ] 52_p0f stop

sysinit: [ OK ] 50_drflocs stop

sysinit: [ OK ] 49_cape stop

sysinit: [ OK ] 45_flowman stop

sysinit: [ OK ] 44_overlord stop

sysinit: [ OK ] 43_flowmark stop

sysinit: [ OK ] 40_qdiscman stop

the above line was 100 times in the basisc debug log

In these 4 days almost 146 entries on streamboost executing start all and and 100+ on termination and 46+ times on could not connect in the basic debug log and console log a total of 7mb console log1+2 combined

What version of my firmware do you use? If latest, please use corresponding thread.

Regarding this report: it looks as your overlay partition is spoiled and old QoS packages installed there fail to start. Try to format overlay, then reset, then install previous QoS packages again. How to format overlay:

https://www.myopenrouter.com/comment/40542#comment-40542

P.S. Your current R7800: was it a new when you purchased it? Your previous was with DD-WRT installed as far as I remember, what means that it was second hand...

Voxel.

No this is my 3rd router

1st one replaced with new and again same issue

2nd replaced new router is this.

It could be my flashing/reset methodology

As i can still see traffic meter data left even after 30/30/30 reset

I am still @ stock firmware. After reboot it is good for now. Will monitor for a while and then report back.

If it still fails will then try your latest one and see. Before will do a overlay reset

Tell me this

When i reset overlay partition does this reset my router . Ie working router. So that when i reflash with your firmware everything will be a fresh firmware boot right

I am still @ stock firmware. After reboot it is good for now. Will monitor for a while and then report back.

I am sorry, but this problem is not related to my custom build. I do not use stock firmware. There were some problems in the stock firmware (or at least in source codes for stock firmware) with streamboost, corrected in my build, see my changes.log:

Code:
1.0.2.12SF

1. QoS script is updated to allow settings own download/upload limits (problem reported by UK Sentinel).
2. Missing patch in Netgear's GPL is added to fcgi package, extracted from old stock 1.0.0.40 (the same QoS problems).

And something else. I just do not know: were all these problems corrected by NETGEAR or not. GPL codes do not always correspond to binary firmware according to my experience.

When i reset overlay partition does this reset my router . Ie working router. So that when i reflash with your firmware everything will be a fresh firmware boot right

You will lose your settings after formatting overlay and after reset.

Voxel.

Last edited:
Ok i am still at stock firmware. The last reply from netgear support is they are trying to replicate the issue. if not another remote session will be done. Till then i have to stick to the stock.

For now at time few streaming devices are struggling . But its okay. Not much.

Also i was wondering. How or is it possible to support single MU-MIMO client devices when non-mu-mimo is majority.

As i recently found out that my TV is capable of MU-MIMO AC 2x2 rated connection upto 526mbps.

There is not wall in between just close to straight connection but at 5-8 feet away ,

Coming to QOS and GPL.

Yes i do agree and not sure why Netgear are not patching the modules to latest, Is that hard to update the libraries.

So far many including myself reported that updating the latest libraries

Fix the bugs and security vulnerabilities

Boot and reboot time improved and works like fastest router

Removing the limitation and using full core processing power

enhanced Hardware usage on VPN

entware featured apps support and so on.

Why arent the netgear concentrating on these.

Already pointed out the UI is most boring and still some how sluggish one.

I like the Asus merline a lot better. It loads so quickly as if like a local web server and even the Advanced tomato works equal with fluid web interface.

Atleast this router works stable for me. I cant enjoy this router functionality. I never have issues with R7000 and thats the reason i gone for this upgrade due to 4k streaming and many streaming on my home devices along with MU-MIMO being added benifit.

No this is my 3rd router

It could be my flashing/reset methodology

As i can still see traffic meter data left even after 30/30/30 reset
I have mentioned before there is no need to do 30/30/30 on these routers and it can do more harm than good on modern routers. Please read the link below as it may help you. As to struggling I only have 53Mbps down and 17Mbps up but I can stream 4k without struggling with QoS turned off so you should be ok, try to use 5Ghz frequencies not 2.4Ghz if you can :)

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/30-30-30-resets-voodoo-or-real.26534/

Hi Killhippie,

Yes most of the devices are 5ghz ac band indeed including my TV, Internet STB, and my mobile.

Infact the tv was perfect and my setop box was ok. Only few handfull mobile and tab's are still 2.4ghz only. No 5ghz yet. Also they connect far end in my home so 5ghz cant reach there.

Again. I do accept it crushed and consumed my time and mind with this baseless QOS malfunction. I was just expecting a peacefull device with everything working for the amount ie 2x times of R7000 i paid for. I should have bought another R7000 but its not my purpose till now. Just want to replace with future proof router and to add some valid warranty .

I dont know yet if i am doing something that could trigger the crash. But for now i am ingnorning and not botthering much on the broken qos. yet.

I will occasionaly check these and if required will reboot. I dont need it 24x7 up or so. When i need it will have to be online

I am not trying to be rude Ulaganath but I suggest you create a separate thread for non Voxel firmware issues rather than derail this thread off topic. He made it clear numerous times the issue not on his side. You did the same in the LEDE forums where you asked about streamboost and stock firmware when it had nothing to do with the custom firmware. Just saying be careful because some people/devs can get agitated/annoyed.

I am not trying to be rude Ulaganath but I suggest you create a separate thread for non Voxel firmware issues rather than derail this thread off topic. He made it clear numerous times the issue not on his side. You did the same in the LEDE forums where you asked about streamboost and stock firmware when it had nothing to do with the custom firmware. Just saying be careful because some people/devs can get agitated/annoyed.

ulaganath:

That's true. Just people start to think that it is a specific problem of my build. I myself often fail to understand what version of firmware you are using now and I spend a lot of time to get a clear picture...

Voxel.

Hmm here after I won't post on this

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!