What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.33SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
Continuation of

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800.36859/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-22sf.37222/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-23sf-v-1-0-2-24sf.37477/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-25sf-v-1-0-2-29sf.38032/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-30sf.38366/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-31sf.39142/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-32sf.39657/

New version of my custom firmware build: 1.0.2.33SF.

Changes (vs 1.0.2.32SF):

1. OpenVPN is upgraded 2.4.2->2.4.3.
2. OpenVPN client behavior is changed. Now if it fails to connect to server, WAN LED will be amber. In case of success it will be white. Also it is possible for users to modify OpenVPN client UP and DOWN scripts to add own reaction e.g. in the case of lost connection (/etc/openvpn/ovpnclient-up.sh and /etc/openvpn/ovpnclient-down.sh). Thanks to kamoj for his help and testsing.
3. NETGEAR Downloader: added new patch to Transmission 2.92+. Now NETGEAR Downloader displays filenames and their size correctly.
4. minidlna is upgraded 1.1.5->1.2.0.
5. dnscrypt-proxy is compiled with plugins support (request from Charles).
6. dnscrypt-resolvers.csv is updated.
7. Host tools: one component is upgraded to most recent versions.

The link is:

http://www.voxel-firmware.com

Thanks to pege63 for his not planned by me announcement :)
(https://www.snbforums.com/threads/voxel-custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-33sf.40192/)

No reset is needed to upgrade from my previous versions.

Voxel.

Last edited:
Thanks always for your hard work!
UPnP doesn't open up any ports for my NAS and I can only gain access the machine outside my home via port forwarding, which is a laborious setting. Do you know if this a Netgear issue?

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

UPNP meaning you cant see in streaming devices as storage devices.

Thanks always for your hard work!
UPnP doesn't open up any ports for my NAS and I can only gain access the machine outside my home via port forwarding, which is a laborious setting. Do you know if this a Netgear issue?

Is this your first time using Voxels firmware? I just ask because if it is a hardware reset is needed after uploading an then enter your settings by hand manually not with a backup. That could cause glitches with UPnP if maybe you have not done this. If you have, then please ignore my post ;)

Last edited:
Is this your first time using Voxels firmware? I just ask because if it is a hardware reset is needed after uploading an then enter your settings by hand manually not with a backup. That could cause glitches with UPnP if maybe you have not done this. If you have, then please ignore my post ;)
Not immediately, but I have used the reset button to hard reset many times. Never have I restored settings on every reset.

Not immediately, but I have used the reset button to hard reset many times. Never have I restored settings on every reset.
When going from Stock Firmware to Voxels the first time you need to press the button at the back and hard reset the router then enter all your settings manually, not from a backup. After that you can update Voxels firmware when new versions come out without any reset. So was this your first time using his firmware?

I see the list of ports forwarded via UPnP but they are not forwarded and NAS can't be accessed outside LAN.

I do not think it is specific for my version. Personally I do not use UPNP, ony ports forwarding and it works for me (about 20 rules).

Maybe try to set NAT filtering to open (Advanced, Setup, WAN setup).

Voxel.

Last edited:
What NAS are you using? I believe some routers using UPnP are are not always compatible with some NAS, If you google this problem you will see many similar questions. Was it working with the previous stock firmware then?

What NAS are you using? I believe some routers using UPnP are are not always compatible with some NAS, If you google this problem you will see many similar questions. Was it working with the previous stock firmware then?
I immediately flashed Voxel's firmware because Voxel was the reason I purchased R7800 with confidence. I am using Synology NAS which has previously worked with D-Link router.

I immediately flashed Voxel's firmware because Voxel was the reason I purchased R7800 with confidence. I am using Synology NAS which has previously worked with D-Link router.
First thing is to hard reset like I said because you went from stock firmware to a firmware with many changes. Then manually set it up again. After that you can update without doing that again as I mentioned when using Voxels firmware. The R7800 could be simply not compatible with your NAS. I think contacting Synology or asking on their forums would be helpful. From what I have read so far online (there are always exceptions to the rule) many people do use port forwarding with Netgear routers, but I'm not saying that's the case here. Your research may find a way around it, but not all routers are compatible it seems. :)

Hi, I have two R7800, one AP point with Voxel firmware, I have never issue with synology NAS DS214play. More than one Year
I Use portforwarding,never UPNP. This evening I install latest FW Voxel one the AP router
So far so good, Greetz

Flashed but didn’t restore or anything. Just continued like a normal update. Network and wireless is faster. Did the same for the R9000 and It Works great. What’s the reason to restore? I have all my important dhcp reservations and don’t want to lose them.

Hi, I have two R7800, one AP point with Voxel firmware, I have never issue with synology NAS DS214play. More than one Year
I Use portforwarding,never UPNP. This evening I install latest FW Voxel one the AP router
So far so good, Greetz
Thanks for sharing your experience. I used DSM's internal menu to setup port forwarding via UPnP (lazy, I know.). Manual port forwarding via Netgear admin works as it should and I will need to find time to set this up for the multiple packages and services I am running with my NAS.

Flashed but didn’t restore or anything. Just continued like a normal update. Network and wireless is faster. Did the same for the R9000 and It Works great. What’s the reason to restore? I have all my important dhcp reservations and don’t want to lose them.
When going from Stock to third party because so many packages are updated its a good idea to reset. Restoring from previous firmware can bring over changes in the settings which can cause problems and possible corruption. I just took a picture with my phone of my DHCP reservations and settings and added them all back manually. After doing this when changing from stock to Voxels firmware the first time you don't need to do it again when Voxel releases new updates of his firmware.

might be a good idea but it's not necessary. firstly - it's not like you're going from stock to ddwrt. this voxel version is how netgear should have released it to begin with. i look at it as an update to the stock firmware.

I haven't made any changes at all as far as resetting but i've noticed a huge improvement in speed. i use my 7800 as an AP and my 9000 as a router. i tested the wireless last night on the AP before an after. I have a fiber 1000/1000. before: 389.83 down and 393.45 up. after: 553.72 down and 445.72 up.

LAN speed has been excellent too but very similar to stock where i'm getting 0 ping and 950/950.

Hello,

Yesterday update the main router R7800 to custom FW, Voxel
I take a copy of screen selection from port forwarding and IP reservation on MAC address in Word (office 2016) 25 devices!!
Than just copy an past the settings in the new FW, quit simple and very fast.

The custom FW from Voxel; the interface is faster and internet pages loading quickly
I did factory reset on the backside from the router, after that installing the FW, simple and easy butt basic FW, de backup file is 3KB smaller than original FW

So far good performance

Thanks for the custom FW Voxel -;)

Grz, Carolus

might be a good idea but it's not necessary. firstly - it's not like you're going from stock to ddwrt. this voxel version is how netgear should have released it to begin with. i look at it as an update to the stock firmware.

I haven't made any changes at all as far as resetting but i've noticed a huge improvement in speed. i use my 7800 as an AP and my 9000 as a router. i tested the wireless last night on the AP before an after. I have a fiber 1000/1000. before: 389.83 down and 393.45 up. after: 553.72 down and 445.72 up.

LAN speed has been excellent too but very similar to stock where i'm getting 0 ping and 950/950.

I agree. Change from the stock to my build as a rule does not require reset and all settings should be kept. Such reset is needed in very specific cases. Such cases will be stressed in my release notes.

Voxel.

Hi,

So far so good de custom FW from Voxel, Internet page loading quickly and fast. TOP
@Voxel; maybe is it possible to turn Out/On DHCP in the logfile, Every day I find in the logs DHCP to 192.168.24.xxx

DHCP Out/On
upload_2017-7-21_8-55-51.png

Thanks

PS: One golden rule in live; Netgear build the hardware, Voxel build the software

Greetz Carolus

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!