What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.37SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm having a problem with USB attached hard drive that comes and goes depending on FW version. Had it with RMerlin's too and it would go away depending on FW version, then come back again depending on FW version.

When the router boots it loses the USB drive. I have to unplug the drive, wait a moment, and plug it back in. Its found, all is well again.

Seeing that behavior with the current .37 version. Its mostly just annoying. Not sure what changes so that its not present in one FW version, is in another.

Doesn't matter if power off cold boot or power on warm reboot. Something in the boot cycle is out of sequence so that it loses the USB attached drive?

I have not tried the eSATA port. Could as I have an external case with eSATA. I of course don't know if this behavior would be present using eSATA.

Okay, I'd suggest trying an experiment with either stock or Voxel firmware, whichever you're currently using. Reset your router to factory defaults, and create the simplest configuration you can. Don't turn on traffic meter, QoS, or anything else, just leave everything off other than what you absolutely need. Then retest your speed. What I'm getting at is that there are configuration settings that will disable hardware NAT and CTF. I suspect that you'll see better results with essentially default configuration.

Thank you for your reply, i had the bare minimum in options selected. It might have been my isp because everything is running the way it should now. I'm getting around 970 megs down when i run a speed test :) thx again.

It would be great for UK Sky customers to have this feature in the Voxel firmware like RMerlin implemented in his own customised firmware for Asus routers, that is Vendor Class Identifier String (option 60) and Client Identifier String (option 61)
Yes ,I have used RMerlin and know it supports this,Not sure if Voxel is in a position to implement this or if it`s even possible, if it could be done then this gives me and others the option to use the Draytek vigor for the WAN side as that does not require Mac cloning to use with sky,just need the DHCP 60 and 61, I do not really want to use sky`s router/modem as then the R7800 is just an AP. And also I`m on an ECI cabinet and need to use Latiq chipset equipment for better sync(130 has this).Thanks for your response.

Last edited:
@tarassippo @sharpz44

I maintain several R7800 Voxel routers and I've deployed two units on Sky VDSL for many months without issue, using a separate VDSL modem.

The integrated udhcpc already supports option 60 and 61 so you just have to edit the existing network startup script to add the client and vendor info.

If need guidance, let me know.

@tarassippo @sharpz44

I maintain several R7800 Voxel routers and I've deployed two units on Sky VDSL for many months without issue, using a separate VDSL modem.

The integrated udhcpc already supports option 60 and 61 so you just have to edit the existing network startup script to add the client and vendor info.

Thats great to know,could you please advise,as I said I`m going to be using Vigor 130 as modem. much appreciated

@tarassippo @sharpz44

Thanks Charles, if you could share the instructions it would be very much appreciated.

Hello Voxel, thanks a lot for your great firmware. I changed from DD-WRT and LEDE and the wireless performance is much improved.

What I'm missing is following:

1. I want to create a net-wall rule, which redirects all DNS traffic of my clients to the DNS of my router (I'm using DNScrypt). With IPtables at LEDE the rules were following (192.168.1.1 is the IP of my router):

Code:
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br-lan -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 192.168.1.1
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br-lan -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 192.168.1.1

Can you help me with that? I don't know how to set it up.

2. Is it possible to use a custom DDNS provider with entware, for example? Or could you add more DDNS providers in future versions? Netgear isn't really giving us a choice...

3. Can you add a feature from Asuswrt / Ubiquiti APs? On both you can set a minimum RSSI, for example of -70db. If the client gets a lower RSSI, it gets disconnected automatically.
This is really useful if you use several devices in access point mode. You don't get sticky clients with that.

Else I love the experience of your firmware. Fire and forget. :)

Hi,

Regarding "1.": check this my post:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...v-1-0-2-42hf-1-0-2-42hf-hw.40688/#post-342246

It is for R9000, but the same is for R7800.
You can try to modify net-wall script adding your iptables rules.

"2.": Only something from console, using Entware as pointed by eliz82. Regarding me: I use ddclient running from my Debian. It is perl script, so perl installation is needed. IMO should work with Entware.

"3.": I am not ready to answer. Have to think.

Voxel.

torrents downloaded by transmission are created as root and can't be deleted by guest (networks share user).

I can add "root" user to samba user's list. I.e. you can map router's network disk as a root (for such goals). Password will be the same as for admin.

Voxel.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!