What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.38SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ok voxel,
After further testing it looks like it is writing the smartphone file wrong again. I know mine uses tun. I was able to get to work using an old smartphone file, that you fixed in a previous release. I must not have noticed it before, because I hadn't had to update the file on my phone, but I got a new phone and had to reload the file.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So it is working now? I tried to test with my iPhone: default (not own CA/CRT/KEY/PEM) OpenVPN server (tun) and downloaded from router GUI anew smart_phone.ovpn: it is working for me.

Voxel.

So it is working now? I tried to test with my iPhone: default (not own CA/CRT/KEY/PEM) OpenVPN server (tun) and downloaded from router GUI anew smart_phone.ovpn: it is working for me.

Voxel.
No if I download a new one from the gui it doesn't work. I had to use an old one. The new one works when attached to my wifi network, but does not connect when on my cellular network.

The new one works when attached to my wifi network, but does not connect when on my cellular network.

I tested remotely. Connecting iPhone to remote Wi-Fi network (not to R7800) and with cellular network. It's OK.

Probably you should check also with e.g Windows: connecting to OpenVPN client under Windows and using this smart_phone.ovpn file under Windows.

Voxel.

I tested remotely. Connecting iPhone to remote Wi-Fi network (not to R7800) and with cellular network. It's OK.

Probably you should check also with e.g Windows: connecting to OpenVPN client under Windows and using this smart_phone.ovpn file under Windows.

Voxel.
Will do. I'll try to test some more this week. And let you know.

Will do. I'll try to test some more this week. And let you know.

There are also some remarks for R7800: it has two kinds of OpenVPN servers: usual and for 2.4.x clients. So if you changed them (e.g. from usual to 2.4.x clients or vice versa) you probably can get incompatible client. So it is better to stop OpenVPN servers, reboot router, start server after reboot and only after this download config for smartphone.

Voxel.

Hi Voxel,

Excuse the newbie-type question, but I was reading your Readme file, and it appears that you can move from Netgear stock firmware to your mod without having to do anything special or complex (i.e. flash your firmware, restore to base settings, then configure your WAN, LAN, etc...).

The next section of the Readme file says, "After flashing and your settings you need to have SSH access to router."

What does that mean for the average user?

Thanks,
Antopn

Voxel,
Just an update to the VPN server issue. It seems to be an issue with the certs that netgear provides and the openvpn connect on android. I down graded the version of the client and it is working again.

With the upgraded version it gives an error "the certificate is signed with an unacceptable hash : depth =0

and this
14:21:22.464 -- Transport Error: mbed TLS: SSL read error : X509 - Certificate verification failed, e.g. CRL, CA or signature check failed
14:21:22.464 -- EVENT: CERT_VERIFY_FAIL info='mbed TLS: SSL read error : X509 - Certificate verification failed, e.g. CRL, CA or signature check failed'
14:21:22.502 -- EVENT: DISCONNECTED
14:21:22.507 -- EVENT: CORE_THREAD_INACTIVE
14:21:22.508 -- Tunnel bytes per CPU second: 0
14:21:22.508 -- ----- OpenVPN Stop -----

Voxel,
Just an update to the VPN server issue. It seems to be an issue with the certs that netgear provides and the openvpn connect on android. I down graded the version of the client and it is working again.

With the upgraded version it gives an error "the certificate is signed with an unacceptable hash : depth =0

and this
14:21:22.464 -- Transport Error: mbed TLS: SSL read error : X509 - Certificate verification failed, e.g. CRL, CA or signature check failed
14:21:22.464 -- EVENT: CERT_VERIFY_FAIL info='mbed TLS: SSL read error : X509 - Certificate verification failed, e.g. CRL, CA or signature check failed'
14:21:22.502 -- EVENT: DISCONNECTED
14:21:22.507 -- EVENT: CORE_THREAD_INACTIVE
14:21:22.508 -- Tunnel bytes per CPU second: 0
14:21:22.508 -- ----- OpenVPN Stop -----

Since i'm not versed in generating my own keys I could use some help or guidance

Thanks

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!