What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.39SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Does this FW improve QoS any? I noticed the stock FW only has dynamic QoS so wondering if this FW has the ability for manual QoS?

Thanks!

Yay, write speeds are much better, it swings frequently between 48 and 73MB/s with an average of around 58MB/s. Overall, the average is about twice what it was before.

That's in large part up to the SoC manufacturers to provide an updated SDK. On Asus' side, the updates are currently trickling one at a time, with the Broadcom HND platform patched two weeks ago, and the old SDK 6.34 only patched a few days ago. Still no patch for SDK 6.37 (RT-AC68U - same platform as the R7000) or SDK 7.14 (RT-AC88U/RT-AC3100).

No idea how Qualcomm has reacted so far in terms of providing security patches.

To me it seems that the favorite word here would be - Forget about it -

Sad. Very sad. Hold on man.

Voxel.
Thank you Voxel. I'm seeing the Dr this morning about my memory issues. back on track still surprised at the slow update from netgear when other providers have managed to fix issues in software I believe without updates from the SoC providers. Apple have updated macOS and their newer iPhones now. Netgear still have not even updated QoS from April and the last entry for iPhones was 6/6s. We are now on 8/X Let alone bring firmware up to date.

As to security as I said in my previous post if you can do the updates why cant Netgear's firmware writers? Are Netgear even aware or do they simply not care about security. Asus's Trend DPI engine although with privacy issues maybe can at least block a device behaving oddly on your lan. Considering how slow Sony and many other providers (Android and Android TV is a hellish mess) and so many other home devices run on Linux and may never get patched it seems (some wireless printers will probably never see updates also)
Canon didn't seem really bothered when I asked them, neither did Bowers and Wilkins who never got back to me. Sony just said we care about security <cough> I'm quite shocked at what appears to be a cavalier disregard from so many companies to fix clients. So you would think that Netgear would at least start updating more routers that can and are being used in Bridge mode. Right now they seem to be just treading water with firmware updates and QoS ones too and doing very little about implementing some extra security to protect from the crazy bad security of the IoT world with some form of DPI engine maybe. :(

Netgear is aware of the problem:

https://kb.netgear.com/000049498/Se...ies-PSV-2017-2826-PSV-2017-2836-PSV-2017-2837

When they can see their way clear to provide patched firmware is a good question. I respect their wanting to test thoroughly, but they should get on with it *smile*. Although they're not the only ones that haven't fixed this yet...my Nest Protect, Samsung TV's, BluRay player, solar panel monitor hardware, etc. haven't fixed this yet either. I've found that they all intend to fix the problem, but haven't gotten there yet.

Last edited:
thanks for the excellent firmware, there's one problem I've found,that uPNP is no longer working for this version, is it normal ?
I've already reset the router, but still no luck.

Hi Voxel,

Until Firmware 37F i have no issues in QOS. But 38 and 39 i am started having same issues QOS service stopped i have to reboot the router to get it on.

Only issue is if any client consumes Bandwidth irrespective of priority other client wont have any bandwidth.

If i manually start it or restart . it start and stop .

upload_2017-11-16_7-29-17.png

upload_2017-11-16_7-29-33.png

I believe your recent firmware have the IRQ handler introduced which help a lot in stablizing the crashing of QOS service due to uncommon situations.

Hope that is still exist .

thanks for the excellent firmware, there's one problem I've found,that uPNP is no longer working for this version, is it normal ?
I've already reset the router, but still no luck.
UPnP daemon is included into NETGEAR's GPL source codes in binary form (pre-compiled). I do not change it. And it is working somehow, at least Netalyzr (http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/cli.html) displays me problem in my security settings when I enable UPnP and run Netalyzr's Command-Line Client:

We received UPnP responses from one device:
  • 192.168.2.1: this device provided a valid device description via its UPnP URL. This description, viewable here contains the following information about this gateway:This device appears to run "R7800 UPnP/1.0 miniupnpd/1.0". This system may be vulnerable to CVE-2013-0230

I'd recommend to do not use UPnP (disable it) and to use port forwarding. Because of security. miniupnpd 1.0 used by NETGEAR is too old. Vulnerability.

Voxel.

Hey Voxel,

I just picked up a couple R7800s and I've been perusing forums posts looking at the different custom firmwares. I've seen mention of the 4.X kernel. Do your builds use that or does anyone yet? Can you compare/contrast Voxel firmware vs Kong for a noob?

One of them I intend to use as an edgerouter and the other I am using with an HTC Vive/TPCast setup so I need it to have the fastest possible 5GHz uplink and selection of 802.11a or ac.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I installed this firmware and everything is going great except by the issue where the devices connect to the wired network can't talk to the wireless network. I can ping the devices. They all can access the internet but I can't rdp or access services etc...

Any idea how I can fix it?

Cheers

Flavio

Hi guys,

I installed this firmware and everything is going great except by the issue where the devices connect to the wired network can't talk to the wireless network. I can ping the devices. They all can access the internet but I can't rdp or access services etc...

Any idea how I can fix it?

Cheers

Flavio

Hi Flavio,

Why did you install this version but not latest 1.0.2.44SF?

Voxel.

Hi Flavio,

Why did you install this version but not latest 1.0.2.44SF?

Voxel.

Hi Voxel,

Thank you for your reply. I installed the latest later and the issue is the same. I think the problem has to do with VLAN ID. In NZ we need to use VLAN TAG 10. So I go in the "Enable VLAN...". I set the VLAN ID to 10 and only then I am able to access the internet. But as soon as I do it I loose the capability of talking to the wired devices when I am on the wireless network and vice and versa.

Any ideas?

thank you for the reply.

Hi Voxel,

Thank you for your reply. I installed the latest later and the issue is the same. I think the problem has to do with VLAN ID. In NZ we need to use VLAN TAG 10. So I go in the "Enable VLAN...". I set the VLAN ID to 10 and only then I am able to access the internet. But as soon as I do it I loose the capability of talking to the wired devices when I am on the wireless network and vice and versa.

Any ideas?

thank you for the reply.

I guess it is not specific problem of my build? I.e. the same with stock firmware, right? Did not you contact NG's support signaling the problem?

Voxel.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!