What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.40SF & 1.0.2.41SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is the onboard speed test working correctly?

In general it is OK, but OOKLA speedtest depends on server you are using for your test, its overload (e.g. could be faster in night time) etc.

Onboard test is in binary form in GPL and it uses own logic to select server, this logic is unknown for me.

You can try just several OOKLA servers selecting them manually from your browser, i.e. http://www.speedtest.net/ but not in router GUI. What is best for you.

Voxel.

I am excited to install Voxel Firmware for the first time! Thank you for your hard work! Is it OK to use 1.0.2.41SF or do you recommend using an older version for now?

You are welcome. Of course I do recommend to use the latest version. More packages are upgraded, closed security holes, bug correction etc.

Voxel.

Thank you Voxel, will give both a test to see differences. Of course, your builds are great for this router.

Thank you for your time and efforts.

In general it is OK, but OOKLA speedtest depends on server you are using for your test, its overload (e.g. could be faster in night time) etc.

Onboard test is in binary form in GPL and it uses own logic to select server, this logic is unknown for me.

You can try just several OOKLA servers selecting them manually from your browser, i.e. http://www.speedtest.net/ but not in router GUI. What is best for you.

Voxel.

You know, there is yet another difference 1.0.2.41SF vs 1.0.2.30SF. Since 1.0.2.31SF I added latest QoS DB (2017) into firmware. But you tested your speed from WebGUI using QoS 2016. I am not sure, I cannot reproduce but there are already at least three guys who reported problem with latest QoS and dissatisfied by it.

I do not know all details of QoS and OOKLA speed test included into firmware: all of them are used "as is" (they are pre-built by NETGEAR). But maybe it influences to displayed in GUI test results.

If you have a time and wishes, you can try to downgrade QoS DB to version 2016 from your 1.0.2.41SF. And test speedtest (after reboot) with previous QoS DB. How:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...r-r7800-v-1-0-2-31sf.39142/page-6#post-328537

Voxel.

You know, there is yet another difference 1.0.2.41SF vs 1.0.2.30SF. Since 1.0.2.31SF I added latest QoS DB (2017) into firmware. But you tested your speed from WebGUI using QoS 2016. I am not sure, I cannot reproduce but there are already at least three guys who reported problem with latest QoS and dissatisfied by it.

I do not know all details of QoS and OOKLA speed test included into firmware: all of them are used "as is" (they are pre-built by NETGEAR). But maybe it influences to displayed in GUI test results.

If you have a time and wishes, you can try to downgrade QoS DB to version 2016 from your 1.0.2.41SF. And test speedtest (after reboot) with previous QoS DB. How:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...r-r7800-v-1-0-2-31sf.39142/page-6#post-328537

Voxel.

But you can run the speedtest in the router GUI without actually enabling QoS on the router? In that case the QoS shouldn't interfere with the speedtest, right?

I have noticed a difference in QoS behaviour as well. Some speedtests show slower speeds even if I'm the only one using the net at the moment and the internal speedtest always gives much lower results now. Not sure when this happened but I don't think it was with the new QoS DB...

But you can run the speedtest in the router GUI without actually enabling QoS on the router? In that case the QoS shouldn't interfere with the speedtest, right?

Logically yes. But I do not see any other changes which could influence to speedtest included into firmware since 1.0.2.30SF. I do not have sources of ookla from firmware to clarify this. Who knows even QoS is disabled. It is not real problem, because when people try to run speed test from their browser, not from WebGUI of router, they have good result:

https://www.myopenrouter.com/forum/ookla-speedtest-results-firmware-test-v-straight-browser-test

But I have already several signals that latest QoS is problematic, not only in my version, but in stock too. I cannot reproduce thus it is better if somebody test it.

Voxel.

Using stock firmware the built in speedtest works well for me, it's actually shows pretty much what my line maxes out at. Be aware Ookla speedtest is multithreaded not a single threaded one. Running it in the morning to is better as at night you have more interference causing slowdowns if you have copper/Aluminium in your connection (FTTC/DSL) Thinkbroadbands speedtest is quite good, see link below it shows multi threaded single threaded and buffer bloat. The thing is they all depend on server load and which server is being used. Third party DNS servers could cause the CDN (Akamai for instance) to select a server further away than your own ISP's if you don't have a third party DNS server near you .

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest

Voxel,

Yes I had tested the Web UI . So this is the reason why I went back to a prior version to see if the problem followed or not. I don't remember earlier version seeing this problem so I figured it had to be something in recent FW.

I have v41 loaded and will give your downgrade of the QoS service a try and let you know.

Voxel.

Not sure if this is a directory issue or maybe a telnet program issue on my Mac:
root@R7800:/$ /bin/opkg --force-downgrade install /Volumes/TESTFILES/NETGEAR/QoS/macoui-db_20160607112939-cloud-gb8be08c-generic-1_all.ipk
Collected errors:
* wfopen: /Volumes/TESTFILES/NETGEAR/QoS/macoui-db_20160607112939-cloud-gb8be08c-generic-1_all.ipk: No such file or directory.
* pkg_init_from_file: Failed to extract control file from /Volumes/TESTFILES/NETGEAR/QoS/macoui-db_20160607112939-cloud-gb8be08c-generic-1_all.ipk

Also tried on my Windows 7 PC, still getting same error.

Where should the source QoS files be located on the PC?

Last edited:
Not sure if this is a directory issue or maybe a telnet program issue on my Mac:
root@R7800:/$ /bin/opkg --force-downgrade install /Volumes/TESTFILES/NETGEAR/QoS/macoui-db_20160607112939-cloud-gb8be08c-generic-1_all.ipk
Collected errors:
* wfopen: /Volumes/TESTFILES/NETGEAR/QoS/macoui-db_20160607112939-cloud-gb8be08c-generic-1_all.ipk: No such file or directory.
* pkg_init_from_file: Failed to extract control file from /Volumes/TESTFILES/NETGEAR/QoS/macoui-db_20160607112939-cloud-gb8be08c-generic-1_all.ipk

Also tried on my Windows 7 PC, still getting same error.

Where should the source QoS files be located on the PC?

I did not quite understand what is this path.

You should something like:

1. Copy these IPK files to the root of USB flash drive.
2. Insert this flash to router, it should be mounted as /mnt/sda1 or /mnt/sdb1 or /mnt/sdc1
3. Enter by telnet to your router.
4. Change current directory to place where your flash drive is mounted, e.g.

cd /mnt/sda1

5. Run these commands, i.e.

/bin/opkg --force-downgrade install macoui-db_20160607112939-cloud-gb8be08c-generic-1_all.ipk

etc. It should be done from telnet.

Voxel.

Ya I don't know what the PATH is either. I presume it maybe the telnet program is calling the files and can't fine them even though I tried specifying the path. Don't know.

I'll try the USB file location.

Ok, that worked with the USB drive.
root@R7800:/tmp/mnt/sda1$ /bin/opkg --force-downgrade install macoui-db_20160607112939-cloud-gb8be08c-generic-1_all.ipk
Installing macoui-db (20160607112939-cloud-gb8be08c-generic-1) to root...
Configuring macoui-db..

I did a reboot from the command line in telnet however after logging back into the router, QoS still shows Apr 2017 DB.

Is this correct or should I see 2016?

Is there a commit or save command I need to do in telnet before a reboot?

I did not quite understand what is this path.

You should something like:

1. Copy these IPK files to the root of USB flash drive.
2. Insert this flash to router, it should be mounted as /mnt/sda1 or /mnt/sdb1 or /mnt/sdc1
3. Enter by telnet to your router.
4. Change current directory to place where your flash drive is mounted, e.g.

cd /mnt/sda1

5. Run these commands, i.e.

/bin/opkg --force-downgrade install macoui-db_20160607112939-cloud-gb8be08c-generic-1_all.ipk

etc. It should be done from telnet.

Voxel.

Ok, that worked with the USB drive.
root@R7800:/tmp/mnt/sda1$ /bin/opkg --force-downgrade install macoui-db_20160607112939-cloud-gb8be08c-generic-1_all.ipk
Configuring macoui-db..

I did a reboot from the command line in telnet however after logging back into the router, QoS still shows Apr 2017 DB.

Is this correct or should I see 2016?

Is there a commit or save command I need to do in telnet before a reboot?
Did you disable automatic update of QoS in WebGUI? If not it will be upgraded to 2017...
P.S.
Sorry but I have to leave forum until tomorrow.

Voxel.

Had it enabled...disabled it and Help Improve as well. Saved settings and logged out. Enabled Telnet.
Then updated from USB. Rebooted. Still reads Apr 2017.

Guess I'll wait till you get back.

Had it enabled...disabled it and Help Improve as well. Saved settings and logged out. Enabled Telnet.
Then updated from USB. Rebooted. Still reads Apr 2017.

Guess I'll wait till you get back.

This downgrade of QoS DB is not quite correctly processed by GUI. To check that QoS DB is downgraded please run from telnet console the command:

Code:
/bin/opkg list_installed | grep wopr

if you see

wopr-db - 20160607112951-cloud-g0e9656a-generic-1

it means that QoS is downgraded.

if you see

wopr-db - 20170428104102-g33cf1a0-generic

it means not. And you should repeat downgrade again.

Thank you,
Voxel.

ok, it read 2017....
So I did the following again:
root@R7800:/tmp/mnt/sda1$ /bin/opkg list_installed | grep wopr
wopr-db - 20170428104102-g33cf1a0-generic-1

Still reading 2017...
:confused:

Last edited:
ok, it read 2017....
So I did the following again:
root@R7800:/tmp/mnt/sda1$ /bin/opkg list_installed | grep wopr
wopr-db - 20170428104102-g33cf1a0-generic-1

Still reading 2017...
:confused:
OK, let's leave it while. Thank you for your help anyway.

Voxel.

Will you be looking into this more?

Other than this issue. FW is good. Love your FW.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!