What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.60SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How dnscrypt can be configured? I was trying to set blacklist using https://github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy/blob/master/dnscrypt-proxy/example-dnscrypt-proxy.toml format however that does not work. If I understand correctly dnscrypt is trying to treat blacklist_file = 'blacklist.txt' as a reference to entries in /usr/share/dnscrypt-proxy/dnscrypt-resolvers.csv.

Different versions of dnscrypt-proxy. Version 1 is included into FW and you try to tune it with instructions for version 2.

You should install dnscrypt-proxy v2

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/dnscrypt-proxy-version-2-and-stubby-add-ons-for-r7800-r9000.48445/

and play with it according to these instructions.

Voxel.

Different versions of dnscrypt-proxy. Version 1 is included into FW and you try to tune it with instructions for version 2.

You should install dnscrypt-proxy v2

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/dnscrypt-proxy-version-2-and-stubby-add-ons-for-r7800-r9000.48445/

and play with it according to these instructions.

Voxel.
Fair point. I have installed already v2. Thanks for the detailed instructions.
By the way what is the purpose of ReadyCLOUD and QoS DB folders at your server? I guess later is a mirror of NetGEAR QoS DB for download.

And thank you for great work!

By the way what is the purpose of ReadyCLOUD and QoS DB folders at your server? I guess later is a mirror of NetGEAR QoS DB for download.
ReadyCLOUD: it is rather internal usage. This is exact copy of ReadyCLOUD archive from NETGEAR site. There was some problems with NG site when archive was not available so I've put the copy to my site (it is installed automatically after flashing firmware). Later it might be upgraded by newer version from NG site:

ftp://updates1.netgear.com/sw-apps/ready-genie-cloud/r7800

Similar for QoS. One of the older version of QoS when some users signaled significant problems with newer QoS for R7800. So it is possible to revert to previous version of QoS. The same: it is exact copy of QoS DB downloaded from QCA/NG site.

Voxel.

Fair point. I have installed already v2. Thanks for the detailed instructions.

And thank you for great work!
I am having minor issue with dnscrypt v2 and logging:
Timestamps for syslog and other logs entries from dnscrypt are 2 hours before the actual time. So it's GMT instead of local time zone.
Was trying to set $TZ variable (export TZ='GMT-1GMT,M3.5.0/2:00,M10.5.0/2:00') but dnscrypt seams to ignore that variable.
As I wrote it is minor but maybe someone will have a quick hint.

Last edited:
Direction is good but your change is just hiding the Upgrade button and not getting rid of that nag screen.

Edit:

I believe I found the solution (although probably not the most elegant one):
disable VPN service from web interface
restart rooter
enable VPN service
from console:
mkdir /etc/openvpn/config
cp /tmp/openvpn/* /etc/openvpn/config
/etc/init.d/openvpn_check disable
/etc/init.d/openvpn disable

add cp /etc/openvpn/config/* /tmp/openvpn/ line somewhere at the begining of /etc/init.d/openvpn file
/etc/init.d/openvpn enable

In addition I am invoking /etc/init.d/openvpn restart from last init.d script
Problem solved. I didn't realize so far neither firmware upgrade/downgrade nor factory reset from web GUI nor even switching between OEM and Voxel firmware is wiping out all the settings. So now I have:
- issued mtd erase netgear command
- performed factory reset from both web GUI and hardware reset button
- loaded again .60FS
and the issue is gone.
By the way mtd erase netgear is producing those error messages:
msm_nand_erase: erase failed, 0x6540000
msm_nand_erase: erase failed, 0x66c0000
msm_nand_erase: erase failed, 0x6740000
Is it normal?

Last edited:
Problem solved. I didn't realize so far neither firmware upgrade/downgrade nor factory reset from web GUI nor even switching between OEM and Voxel firmware is wiping out all the settings. So now I have:
- issued mtd erase netgear command
- performed factory reset from both web GUI and hardware reset button
- loaded again .60FS
and the issue is gone.
By the way mtd erase netgear is producing those error messages:
msm_nand_erase: erase failed, 0x6540000
msm_nand_erase: erase failed, 0x66c0000
msm_nand_erase: erase failed, 0x6740000
Is it normal?
Apparently that behavior wasn't normal and might be caused by NAND memory problem. I've replaced the hardware and the new one is not showing those errors.

Anyone care to share some screen shots of the gui?
I am late to the Voxel firmware for the r7800 but interested.
I run stock but stock does not support my nordvpn.

Thanks guys!

The UI has the same look as stock FW. Voxel does use more improved icons which look way better than stock does.
Anyone care to share some screen shots of the gui?
I am late to the Voxel firmware for the r7800 but interested.
I run stock but stock does not support my nordvpn.

Thanks guys!

thank you for the response e38.
Specifically can anyone tell me if Voxel has added into the gui (or cli) the ability to use NordVPN client?
Thats who I use. Stock doesnt support it. I would prefer not to have to run dd-wrt on the router just to get NordVPN working on it since there are issues with the router and ddwrt right now.
Thanks

I have been using Voxel's software with Nord for around 4 months without any issues. I followed his read me guide to set it up. It's been a while, but I believe you ignore the GUI and install/rename some files in telnet/winscp etc

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/voxel-vpn-connection-problem.50078/

thank you for the response e38.
Specifically can anyone tell me if Voxel has added into the gui (or cli) the ability to use NordVPN client?
Thats who I use. Stock doesnt support it. I would prefer not to have to run dd-wrt on the router just to get NordVPN working on it since there are issues with the router and ddwrt right now.
Thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!