What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.74.4SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I was wondering if Voxel is going to include his add-on in future updates or will he keep the add on as a manual installation.

Voxel has said in the past that he prefers to keep the add-on separate from the firmware (i.e. not bundled). I think this makes sense because it allows him to remain focused on the core firmware, and isolates the firmware and add-on in terms of release schedule, support, etc.

It might be cool if the firmware had some kind of "hook" to allow the add-on to be installed/uninstalled easily, but in practice I think the add-on is of interest primarily to more advanced users, so manual install is not a big deal.

Voxel has said in the past that he prefers to keep the add-on separate from the firmware (i.e. not bundled). I think this makes sense because it allows him to remain focused on the core firmware, and isolates the firmware and add-on in terms of release schedule, support, etc.

It might be cool if the firmware had some kind of "hook" to allow the add-on to be installed/uninstalled easily, but in practice I think the add-on is of interest primarily to more advanced users, so manual install is not a big deal.

You are right. Also: firmware for R7800 is almost full. So it is better to have some add-ons instead of over sized firmware image...

Voxel.

I do not think 74.4SF has much to do with losing NVRAM settings. I also did the upgrade and did not lose anything. There's a whole thread on NG's forum about the R7800 losing settings after reboot. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Ni...etting-to-default-configurations/td-p/1541864

I also do not think that 74.4SF changes could be a reason for such issue. Changes are not related to NVRAM processing. I had no problems with settings flashing 74.4 on three R7800.

Voxel.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!