What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.79SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have reverted back to 79 as 80 seemed to be giving me issues. I too only stream/game/work etc. I have no use for ReadyCloud, FileSharing, etc. I have disabled QOS, Smart Connect and anything not needed. I have also run the commands in the previous post. I'll be running the QOS ones as well to make sure.

In all fairness, I did move just prior to flashing to 80 so I'm not 100% sure it's not router placement causing my signal issues. I'm waiting on an R9000 which I will also flash to Voxel and will use this R7800 as an AP to expand my coverage.

A list of all the telnet commands in one place to disable things would be great. I tried the Kamoj addon briefly but couldn't seem to get options to stick even with different browsers. Telnet seems like the easiest way for me to disable things, provided I know the commands. I'm sort of a newb at this. Question, do these need to be performed separately?

nvram set nocloud=1
nvram set nokwilt=1
nvram commit

nvram set transmission_disable=1
nvram commit

or can you do this?:

nvram set nocloud=1
nvram set nokwilt=1
nvram commit
reboot

nvram set nocloud=1
nvram set nokwilt=1
nvram commit
reboot

Anything else that can be disabled?

Yes.

To disable the printer sharing services:
Code:
[ -x /sbin/KC_BONJOUR ] && chmod -x /sbin/KC_BONJOUR
[ -x /sbin/KC_PRINT ] && chmod -x /sbin/KC_PRINT
ps | grep -F '/sbin/KC_' | awk '{print $1}' | xargs kill 2>/dev/null

To disable NG snitch:
Code:
[ -x /usr/sbin/aws-iot ] && { chmod -x /usr/sbin/aws-iot; /etc/init.d/aws disable; }
[ -x /usr/sbin/ra_check ] && { chmod -x /usr/sbin/ra_check; }

To disable traffic meter and streamboost:
Code:
nvram set qos_endis_on=0
nvram commit
[ -x /sbin/traffic_meter ] && { chmod -x /sbin/traffic_meter; /etc/init.d/traffic_meter stop; }
[ -x /sbin/dni_qos ] && { chmod -x /sbin/dni_qos; /etc/init.d/dni-qos stop; }
[ -x /sbin/qos.sh ] && chmod -x /sbin/qos.sh
[ -x /etc/init.d/streamboost ] && { /etc/init.d/streamboost stop; /etc/init.d/streamboost disable; chmod -x /etc/init.d/streamboost; chmod -x /usr/sbin/streamboost_status_monit; }

I copied these all to a word doc for reference. Do some of these commands need to be performed in batches with reboots in between? I basically pasted this in to telnet:

nvram set nocloud=1

nvram set nokwilt=1

nvram set qos_endis_on=0

nvram commit

[ -x /sbin/traffic_meter ] && { chmod -x /sbin/traffic_meter; /etc/init.d/traffic_meter stop; }

[ -x /etc/init.d/streamboost ] && { /etc/init.d/streamboost stop; /etc/init.d/streamboost disable; chmod -x /etc/init.d/streamboost; chmod -x /usr/sbin/streamboost_status_monit; }

reboot

I received an error on disabling QOS:
1604787409600.png

It looks like I killed Traffic Meter and StreamBoost at least :)

I copied these all to a word doc for reference. Do some of these commands need to be performed in batches with reboots in between? I basically pasted this in to telnet:

nvram set nocloud=1

nvram set nokwilt=1

nvram set qos_endis_on=0

nvram commit

reboot

I received an error on disabling QOS:
View attachment 27512

It looks like I killed Traffic Meter and StreamBoost at least :)
No worries, it worked fine. The error is because the script in init.d could not use the binary that was just made non executable.
Actually, this won’t give you the error:
Code:
[ -x /sbin/dni_qos ] && { /etc/init.d/dni-qos stop; chmod -x /sbin/dni_qos; }

As for R9000, I would think it works the same. You will have to try or wait for confirmation from an owner of the device.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. I should add that last line or replace it? I pasted all of this in and telnet got weird. One line at a time seemed to work, but I'm not sure how I can tell.

nvram set nocloud=1

nvram set nokwilt=1

nvram set qos_endis_on=0

nvram commit

reboot

Thanks for your help. I should add that last line or replace it?
Replace it.

I pasted all of this in and telnet got weird. One line at a time seemed to work, but I'm not sure how I can tell.
You can past all of this in a new script (for example clean-up.sh)
First line should be #!/bin/sh
Don’t put the reboot in it, that is not necessary.
And then you do chmod +x clean-up.sh
You should put it in a USB drive if you have one.

Script:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
nvram set nocloud=1
nvram set nokwilt=1
nvram set qos_endis_on=0
nvram commit

Then to run:
cd to where the script is
./clean-up.sh
reboot (if you prefer to)

If you have a USB drive, you can have this script run automatically after each reboot (and firmware update too).
For that, in your USB drive, create the path autorun/scripts/
And in that path, create the file post-mount.sh
Now, if your clean-up.sh script is at the root of your USB drive, edit the autorun/scripts/post-mount.sh as follow:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
../../clean-up.sh
And like clean-up.sh, don’t forget to do
cd (path to your USB)/autorun/scripts/
chmod +x post-mount.sh

And voilà

What about new_sold_board? I use a line for that in my HelloWorld based autorun script.

[ "$(grep -F 'config set new_sold_board=1' /etc/init.d/boot)" ] && { sed -i 's/\/bin\/config set new_sold_board=1/\/bin\/config unset new_sold_board/' /etc/init.d/boot; config unset new_sold_board; }

What about new_sold_board? I use a line for that in my HelloWorld based autorun script.

[ "$(grep -F 'config set new_sold_board=1' /etc/init.d/boot)" ] && { sed -i 's/\/bin\/config set new_sold_board=1/\/bin\/config unset new_sold_board/' /etc/init.d/boot; config unset new_sold_board; }

Yes, that is forcing newer R7800 to access privacy settings on the GUI.
So yes, it makes sense to include it here too.

The scripts would then be:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
nvram set nocloud=1
nvram set nokwilt=1
nvram set qos_endis_on=0
nvram unset new_sold_board
nvram commit

grep -qF 'config set new_sold_board=1' /etc/init.d/boot && sed -i 's/\/bin\/config set new_sold_board=1/\/bin\/config unset new_sold_board/' /etc/init.d/boot

Thanks all! I'm just going to run it through telnet unless I can learn the USB thing quickly. I don't reboot often unless I have issues and it's easy enough to telnet in. This router is about as clean as it can be from what I can tell, so either I have interference or hardware issues. I won't know until my R9000 shows up in a few weeks and I get it configured.

If you have a USB drive, you can have this script run automatically after each reboot (and firmware update too).

Question: Why would you want to run this after each reboot? Unless I'm missing something, it looks like the changes would persist across reboots.

Also, in the traffic_meter line, I think the order of the stop and chmod commands should be swapped.

Question: Why would you want to run this after each reboot? Unless I'm missing something, it looks like the changes would persist across reboots.
True, but it allows to reset all those settings between reboots in case it was changed for whatever reason.
More importantly, it allows those settings to survive a firmware update.
I have that on my USB for a long time, and I never have to think about these anymore.

Also, in the traffic_meter line, I think the order of the stop and chmod commands should be swapped.
Not very important on the long run, but yes it should, as the init.d stop function is calling the binary:
Code:
stop() {
        /sbin/cmd_traffic_meter stop
}
So the line should be:
[ -x /sbin/traffic_meter ] && { /etc/init.d/traffic_meter stop; chmod -x /sbin/traffic_meter; }
And to be absolute, in the nvram lines section, we should add:
nvram set endis_traffic=0
nvram set traffic_disable_wan=1

<snip>
I have that on my USB for a long time, and I never have to think about these anymore.
<snip>
This is why both my R7800s have a USB with these autorun scripts.

Since we do this for all other daemons we stop and don't want running ever, I also use:
chmod -x /usr/bin/transmission-daemon
chmod -x /usr/bin/transmission-remote

If we want to be thorough, we can do way more for nvram, like (depending on what we want off):
Code:
nvram set nocloud=1
nvram set nokwilt=1
nvram set qos_endis_on=0
nvram set streamboost_enable=0
nvram set readycloud_enable=0
nvram set green_download_enable=0
nvram set green_enable_autorefresh_status=0
nvram set upnp_enable=0
nvram set upnp_enable_upnp=0
nvram set upnp_enable_autoScan=0
nvram set upnp_enableMedia=0
nvram set upnp_enable_tivo=no
nvram set ftp_enable_internet=0
nvram set usb_enableFTP=0
nvram commit

I also made non executable /sbin/check-status.sh since it mostly check for aws and streamboost that we already disabled:
Code:
[ -x /sbin/check_status.sh ] && { chmod -x /sbin/check_status.sh; ps|grep -F '/sbin/check_status.sh'|cut -d' ' -f1|xargs kill 2>/dev/null; }

And I also started to experiment disabling potd and potval as it does write in flash memory regularly (and looking in comments in source code, even NG is worried about flash corruption). It opens port 3333 on LAN, not sure why... maybe communication between NG devices in router and AP mode, but since I only have router, I disabled those, without impact on usage so far.

Warning:
I suggest you let /sbin/check_status.sh be as it is:
/sbin/check_status.sh is run every 60 seconds
It is started at boot from /etc/init.d/done and it's main purpose is to
restart /bin/datalib when it fails due to bugs.
The problem is that when datalib fails, the adv_index.htm page does not work...

I also made non executable /sbin/check-status.sh since it mostly check for aws and streamboost that we already disabled:
Code:
[ -x /sbin/check_status.sh ] && { chmod -x /sbin/check_status.sh; ps|grep -F '/sbin/check_status.sh'|cut -d' ' -f1|xargs kill 2>/dev/null; }

@kamoj : yes, I noticed that :
Code:
work around for  [16/05][14 days endurance test][Model: R7800-Funjsq][V1.0.2.50]  , datalib crash
I disabled check-status.sh for now, and I will see overtime. However, your warning should be taken seriously and I don’t recommend anyone to do it unless they fully understand the implications.

I am also annoyed by cgi-bin that is creating ping_reso, ping_result and ping_result_error in /tmp with Amazon cloudfront adresses. Netgear seems to rely heavily on Amazon cloud and web services (netgear.com resolves to some cloudfront.net stuff).

I'll be running this through telnet as needed (not too often as I don't reboot unless I need to. I know purists may take issue with the UPNP being active but I want to set this and forget it. I made some mods based on the last few posts, any problems with this code?

nvram set nocloud=1

nvram set nokwilt=1

nvram set qos_endis_on=0

nvram set traffic_disable_wan=1

nvram commit

grep -qF 'config set new_sold_board=1' /etc/init.d/boot && sed -i 's/\/bin\/config set new_sold_board=1/\/bin\/config unset new_sold_board/' /etc/init.d/boot

[ -x /sbin/traffic_meter ] && { /etc/init.d/traffic_meter stop; chmod -x /sbin/traffic_meter; }

Yep, and I forgot, you can add:
Code:
[ -x /usr/sbin/aws-iot ] && { /etc/init.d/aws disable; chmod -x /usr/sbin/aws-iot; }
[ -x /usr/sbin/ra_check ] && { chmod -x /usr/sbin/ra_check; }

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!