What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.79SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@Voxel see attached for a fix for the wl_lan_restricted_access for guest-wifi, that would also allow DNS over tcp.

@kamoj, I think you must probably also make some similar changes in /lib/wifi/qcawifi.sh
I'd say add some lines : if AdGuardHome = enabled then also add ebtables rules for 5300. -> this would handle the cases where the router reboots or where someone enables guest-wifi restricted access when AdGuardHome is already enabled.

And then also the script that enables AdGuardHome needs some changes. If AdGuardHome is started while restricted access is already up then the ebtables rules would have to be inserted from that script. (as re-executing qcawifi.sh causes a wifi interruption).

Or you could be lazy and just add the ebtables rules for 5300 in qcawifi.sh without any if statement, so that they are always added if restricted access is enabled, regardless if router is using AdGuard or not.

Attachments

• qcawifi.diff.txt
    3.7 KB · Views: 143
Thank you so much!:)
I'll make needed changes as soon as I get the opportunity.
Your skills and help has become invaluable here for many of us!!! :cool:
PS
Must make corresponding changes for R9000 that uses a different qcawifi.sh.
@Voxel see attached for a fix for the wl_lan_restricted_access for guest-wifi, that would also allow DNS over tcp.

@kamoj, I think you must probably also make some similar changes in /lib/wifi/qcawifi.sh
I'd say add some lines : if AdGuardHome = enabled then also add ebtables rules for 5300. -> this would handle the cases where the router reboots or where someone enables guest-wifi restricted access when AdGuardHome is already enabled.

And then also the script that enables AdGuardHome needs some changes. If AdGuardHome is started while restricted access is already up then the ebtables rules would have to be inserted from that script. (as re-executing qcawifi.sh causes a wifi interruption).

Or you could be lazy and just add the ebtables rules for 5300 in qcawifi.sh without any if statement, so that they are always added if restricted access is enabled, regardless if router is using AdGuard or not.

Last edited:
@R. Gerrits I must agree with @kamoj. For what is worth you are one of the people that has made it to my hall of fame list. There are some people here in our netgear community that I have so great respect for. Your advanced skills and your helpfulness. If it was up to me, you guys would be sainted one day:)

Thank you all for all that you do for us

Looked through the files and run them through shellcheck. What a mess...
Buggy code, with different code for R7800 and R9000.
Netgear has not tried to keep the code together - as stated many times by @Voxel.
These codes should be merged but my todo-list is already too big...

But I'll input your suggestions in my next-next release, for both R7800 and R9000!

I have switched to dns script for now because adguard was creating me problems. Without adding any lines guest wifi is working fine. Thank you

To add: ready to cloud is not working also. I have tried my netgear account and is fine but a unable to connet it from the router

Last edited:
In wishlist for future release: more up to date version of /usr/sbin/dhcp6s
Thank you again for everything

Reactions: KW.
Whats the real advantage then to use Voxel for pure AP mode?
wondering if Voxel based AP is better than stock based AP? Wifi performance looks the same

It is better to continue in this thread.

It is up to you: to use my build or not. I just share what I did for myself. People say that performance in my build is better. So main advantages are: increased performance, stability and security. The rest (like Entware, Debian, Transmission etc) is not so important for ordinary users.

Voxel.

It is better to continue in this thread.

It is up to you: to use my build or not. I just share what I did for myself. People say that performance in my build is better. So main advantages are: increased performance, stability and security. The rest (like Entware, Debian, Transmission etc) is not so important for ordinary users.

Voxel.
Thanks Voxel. I have one more question. Is your latest firmware for the R7800 based off of the latest 1.0.2.68 firmware from the Netgear site? I think I read somewhere that you hadn't moved to the latest yet for some reason but wasn't sure why and also what one would be missing by not being on the latest Netgear base. If anything at all!
Thanks again.

Is your latest firmware for the R7800 based off of the latest 1.0.2.68 firmware from the Netgear site?

Partially. Since 1.0.2.74.1SF. From my changes.log:

1.0.2.74.1SF:

1. Partial selective integration of changes from the stock v. 1.0.2.68

to support FCC channels 136, 140, and 144.

What else would you expect from 1.0.2.68?

Full log of official 1.0.2.68:

New Features and Enhancements:

• Supports FCC channels 136, 140, and 144
Bug Fixes:

• Fixes minor bugs

So New Features and Enhancements are included. Minor and major bugs I do fix myself. Because of as a rule such fixes by NG/DNI usually lead to new bugs.

Voxel.

Hi everyone, I am really looking forward to use Voxel's Firmware, but as a newbie I have some questions:
I am running the latest NG firmware V1.0.2.68. In order to install Voxel's Firmware V1.0.2.79SF:
  1. Is there any special procedure to follow?
  2. Does the current configuration will remain the same after the installation?
  3. Does it provide manual QoS rules, instead of the Dynamic QoS?
Thanks in advance,
Regards.

Hi everyone, I am really looking forward to use Voxel's Firmware, but as a newbie I have some questions:
I am running the latest NG firmware V1.0.2.68. In order to install Voxel's Firmware V1.0.2.79SF:
Thanks in advance,
Regards.

1: No
2: Yes
3: You have to install the kamoj addon

Thanks in advance,
Regards.

Hello,

Voxel's firmware is the way to go :) Very stable, always updated, very secure, the best choice for this great router :)

1) Nope. Just have to choose the firmware, click Change, Reboot, and there you go (y)

2) Yes. But it doesn't hurt to save your config before and/or after you change the firmware. That's what I do. Just in case.

3) Not Voxel's firmware. But as Microchip wrote, you have to install Kamoj Addon.

Cheers :)

Hello,

Voxel's firmware is the way to go :) Very stable, always updated, very secure, the best choice for this great router :)

1) Nope. Just have to choose the firmware, click Change, Reboot, and there you go (y)

2) Yes. But it doesn't hurt to save your config before and/or after you change the firmware. That's what I do. Just in case.

3) Not Voxel's firmware. But as Microchip wrote, you have to install Kamoj Addon.

Cheers :)
Thank you!! Have you tried Kamoj Addon?

Regards

Hi

Just curious, has anyone had any issues with the media server stopping and needing to be reset with the latest Voxel firmware? It might be a coincidence, but it's happened to me twice now since I installed the latest firmware.

Thanks,

jra505

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!