What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.80SF & v. 1.0.2.80.4SF & v. 1.0.2.80.5SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@Voxel

Any plans in updating radvd to the lastes (2.18) version? Currently, NG uses 1.5 which is pretty old

So I have a discovered a problem with Firmware .80sf on my R7800.

I use a HDD Drive plugged into the R7800 as a Media Server. I have it setup to work through ReadySHARE Basic.

When I login to \\readyshare on a PC and Stream media through VLC from the HDD, video plays perfectly fine. However, when I use VLC on Android and iOS, I select my Network Location R7800 [SMB] and I cannot get video to play back on any of my devices. I tried different programs, different video players, still no joy. Uninstalled Kamoj, did a factory reset, reflashed the Firmware and still not working.

It previously worked perfectly on FW .79sf, so I reflashed 79 and did a factory reset. I can now stream via. SMB to my Mobile Devices using VLC again.

Any idea how I can get it to work on FW .80sf? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

So I have a discovered a problem with Firmware .80sf on my R7800.

I use a HDD Drive plugged into the R7800 as a Media Server. I have it setup to work through ReadySHARE Basic.

When I login to \\readyshare on a PC and Stream media through VLC from the HDD, video plays perfectly fine. However, when I use VLC on Android and iOS, I select my Network Location R7800 [SMB] and I cannot get video to play back on any of my devices. I tried different programs, different video players, still no joy. Uninstalled Kamoj, did a factory reset, reflashed the Firmware and still not working.

It previously worked perfectly on FW .79sf, so I reflashed 79 and did a factory reset. I can now stream via. SMB to my Mobile Devices using VLC again.

Any idea how I can get it to work on FW .80sf? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Try updating to 80sf again from 79sf so you can check that it's definitely 80sf that's causing the issue, now that it's working correctly on 79sf.

It may have been something else, and reloading 79sf with a full reset may have resolved it.

If it goes again with 80sf then you know for definite that it's that which has caused the issue.
If it works with 80sf, then it was something else that caused it.

A lot of IPv6 binaries are old.

If I am not mistaken, Voxel does not have IPv6 connectivity so he cannot do intensive tests with new binaries.

In my case, I tweaked a lot IPv6 (and IPv4 as well) scripts and setup to match my needs.
I use dhcpd -6 from Entware instead of dhcp6c as I needed to assign fixed IP to some devices.
I also needed to change net6conf scripts and some others to change the DAD as default settings would not give me working IPv6.

@Voxel

Any plans in updating radvd to the lastes (2.18) version? Currently, NG uses 1.5 which is pretty old

Hey guys when i ping from my iphone to the gateway i got average of 8-9ms, i tried to choose free wifi channels but nothing changed.

about the same for me:
From IPad is 9.3 avg, 4.2 best and 26.8 worst.
From Samsung Galaxy is 7 avg, 1 best and 28 worst.

Mobile devices (phones, tablets) might have longer latency.

Hey guys when i ping from my iphone to the gateway i got average of 8-9ms, i tried to choose free wifi channels but nothing changed.

Try updating to 80sf again from 79sf so you can check that it's definitely 80sf that's causing the issue, now that it's working correctly on 79sf.

It may have been something else, and reloading 79sf with a full reset may have resolved it.

If it goes again with 80sf then you know for definite that it's that which has caused the issue.
If it works with 80sf, then it was something else that caused it.

So I have done as you suggested. I did a Factory Reset, updated to 80sf (left all settings to default, didn't install Kamoj Add on), tried to stream over the Network via. Readyshare [SMB] & R7800 [SMB], still did not work. Factory reset again, still could not get it to work.

Flashed back to 79sf, problem has resolved itself again. No big deal, 79sf is still a solid Firmware for me. Again, I thank Voxel and all the team involved for their hard work on all these Firmwares.

Just reporting back my experiences with the FW. I hope the feedback is of some use!

Hi - I'm running V1.0.2.76.1SF currently as a AP (but in router mode) and had an odd problem where no clients could obtain an ip address. Well that's what the android phones were reporting anyway!
My pfsense box is my DHCP server and seemed to be working fine and so, under pressure to fix it, I had to power cycle the AP. This "fixed" the issue, but I was wondering in future what stats or logs should I grab before the power cycle inevitably loses diagnostics info? Just in case there was some root cause analysis to be done ...

E2A: I've got Kamoj Add-on V5.2b2-4 installed.

Also should I upgrade to this release? Are there any new diag features that would be useful?
FWIW 76.1 has been very stable so far so I don't want to jinx it!! ;-)

Finally is there a way I can "push" subscribe to new firmware release announcements ? I'm afraid I just don't have the bandwidth for regular "pull" forum updates.

Last edited:
However, when I use VLC on Android and iOS, I select my Network Location R7800 [SMB] and I cannot get video to play back on any of my devices.
Thanks for report. I'll check. No Android (I do not have Android gadgets), but with iOS.

Voxel.

@Voxel

There are several very significant problems to update radvd. I have NG/DNI codes of radvd with specific changes:

but...

(1) NG/DNI changed some structures/data in codes. I.e. from developers point of view: if structure is changed, it means that it uses some fixed offsets in RAM to access the member of structure. And these structures also were changes in (e.g.) 2.18. More RAM is used. And if I add NG/DNI changes done for 1.5 to structure to 2.18, I cannot be sure that other pre-compiled binaries will access proper offset in RAM. Program crash.

(2) A lot of changes even 1.5->1.10.0. I do not speak 2.18. I have to become an expert in radvd to understand how to apply other NG/DNI changes for 1.5 (e.g. processing files in /tmp of R7800) to other radvd versions.

(3) It is true:

Voxel does not have IPv6 connectivity so he cannot do intensive tests

So just tests in my mind after browsing codes, making own changes in codes, w/o real tests. It is almost impossible to do...

So... I do not say impossible. But I do not know yet how to. It would be much more easy if NG/DNI have not changed original radvd 1.5...

Voxel.

I thought I'd take the plunge so tried upgrading but saw this "Warning! You are trying to download firmware with version V1.0.2.80SF which is older than the firmware with version V1.0.2.76.1SF you had. Do you want to continue?"

Is there an issue?

Um, Ok tx, so where is 80SF (y) build? I can only see plain 80SF.
But in any case why is it warning like that? My overriding concern is stability so things like this make me think it's not been tested.

On another point I just spotted a static route configured to 194.135.87.0 which resolves as gaigalas.serveriai.lt i.e. Lithuania.
I disabled it as soon as I spotted it. Any ideas where it's come from?

A VPN maybe?
I have latest Voxel V1.0.2.80SF and ip route does not return anything weird
On another point I just spotted a static route configured to 194.135.87.0 which resolves as gaigalas.serveriai.lt i.e. Lithuania.
I disabled it as soon as I spotted it. Any ideas where it's come from?

This release is definitely the fastest yet. I have G.Fast DSL with 330/50. Prior to .80 my WiFi speedtests on my Samsung S10e have always been no higher than 295 down with around 300 on wired ethernet.

I have just done a WiFi internet speed test, from my bedroom with router in the living room and got the speeds as attached. Amazing work. Wired speed test is 310 to 320 down.

Screenshot_20201002-184147_WiFiman.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201010-004511_Wi-Fi SweetSpots~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20201010-004511_Wi-Fi SweetSpots~2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Hello,
Sorry, the (y) is a thumb up emoticon that I use on many forums but it doesn't show as a thumb here ;)
The Voxel firmware is the V1.0.2.80SF and you can download it there : https://voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/html/browse.html

As for your static route, I don't know what to answer... It must be something coming from your computer/browser, not from the router/firmware.
Well that's an odd looking thumb! ;-) A case of being divided by a common (emoji) language and all that!

I'll try the .80SF build, though I'd still be interested if anyone else sees the older firmware warning.

As for the static route, I can't imagine how that got there, but anyway it's disabled now.

Hi, I currently have soft 80sf and new beta kamoj 5.4b4 and R7800. Great job. Unfortunately I have a problem with ftp disk sharing. I have used one ntfs partition so far both for DLNA and external sharing via ftp (kodi for parents). In earlier versions as well as in stock firmware, the disk was not protected with a password, ie "All - no password" everywhere (because DLNA does not work as it will be otherwise). For ftp (via internet) I would tick the box "Admin Password Protection". And it worked fine. Unfortunately, not anymore. Button Admin Password Protection practically doesn't work. Even though the button has been turned on, I still have full access from the outside without any password. :(

Same situation on ext4 partition. I did a full reset, tried without the Kamoj add-on, it still doesn't work as it should.

Do you have any advice on how to tame this readyshare to use both DLNA and FTP functionality on one disk? Is it possible to install my own FTP server from entware with a different password than the router admin password?

greetings

Can I force "Admin Password Protection" to take effect? On or off, it allows for unpunished access to disk resources.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!