What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.80SF & v. 1.0.2.80.4SF & v. 1.0.2.80.5SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thank you. I almost forgot that I used TFTP to get to OpenWRT as it was a while back. I know how to use TFTP to move back/forth and thank you for pointing it out.

I use lots of static IPs in my network. Are the staticlist nvram variables something like this in Voxel too?

nvram get dhcp_staticlist
nvram get dhcp_hostnames

OR

nvram get static_leases
nvram get static_leasenum

cat /tmp/udhcpd.conf will give you the configuration for dhcp, with static lease lines like:
static_lease 192.168.0.10 00:11:22:33:44:55 NAME

And
nvram show | grep -Fi reservation
reservation_editnum=1012322795
reservation_edit=120291501454153
reservation1=192.168.0.10 00:11:22:33:44:55 NAME
reservation2=[...]
reservation_add=120291501454153
reservation_del=1012322795

On Voxel / Stock netgear, IP reservations are stored in nvram variables called reservation#, where # is a number starting at 1.
Format:
Code:
reservation1=192.168.1.11 00:1F:33:AA:BB:CC NAS
Thanks. I guess I have to run a regex to convert the existing list to match Voxel. I think reservation# seems a little bit cleaner but with lots of nvram variables depending on number of hosts (I have about 30 static IPs).

cat /tmp/udhcpd.conf will give you the configuration for dhcp, with static lease lines like:
static_lease 192.168.0.10 00:11:22:33:44:55 NAME

So, basically this should work, correct?

Code:
nvram set reservation1=192.168.0.11 00:11:22:33:44:51 NAME1
nvram set reservation2=192.168.0.12 00:11:22:33:44:52 NAME2
nvram set reservation3=192.168.0.13 00:11:22:33:44:53 NAME3
nvram set reservation4=192.168.0.14 00:11:22:33:44:54 NAME4
nvram set reservation5=192.168.0.15 00:11:22:33:44:55 NAME5
nvram commit

No other NVRAM for setting the static leases other than this? I know I can do a trial and error but would love your feedback.

I am planning to move to Voxel after my daughter goes to sleep as she already complains that I am testing her nerve by constantly fiddling with the router. ;)

So, basically this should work, correct?
almost correct.
You need quotes, as the values contain spaces.
Code:
nvram set reservation1="192.168.0.11 00:11:22:33:44:51 NAME1"
nvram set reservation2="192.168.0.12 00:11:22:33:44:52 NAME2"
nvram commit
[/QUOTE]

And if you have more than 9, then the number ten will simply be called reservation10=

And you might want to reboot the router after importing the reservations. Otherwise some other devices might already have occupied the addresses you want to reserve.
(DHCP scope I think by default starts at .2)

You might be able to restart dhcp and avoid a reboot by running:
/etc/init.d/net-lan restart

Hey,
I installed V1.0.2.80.5SF. Running fine so far.
Unfortunately I cant register my router with ReadyCLOUD.

When I enter my credentials into the it says they are invalid.
Same problem in the Basic/Advanced tab.

I can login on my Windows App just fine.

@Voxel another thanks for this great build.

I'm now trying to build this from source, and see that you change/add a large number of packages in the DL directory (copied over from the NG GPL package), but the readme indicates that we should manually find and download them. Do you not have a script that does that for you? If so, would you mind sharing it. We can edit it to suit our builds as needed.

Also, is there a thread where building from source is discussed? I don't want to pollute this thread if there is a dedicated build one.

Again, thanks,

Thanks a lot, @Voxel for your amazing, reliable, and continued work since years :)

Something that is puzzling me for years is the firmware's source of DNS entries: apart from forwarding, are the static lease names taken into account? Or the names provided with the DHCP requests? From what I see that's not the case (so instead I was running a dnsmasq on a separate machine...). Is there a chance that this could be improved? I'd just love to ssh into my other machines without having to remember IP addresses :cool:

Is there something I can do to help - like edit my R7800's dnsmasq config to make it work and then share the diff?

Apologies if this is a known issue; I did not find it in this thread, and I don't remember seeing it in previous incarnations. (I do remember that the support forum for the stock firmware explicitly said "not supported".)

This was one of the ideas I had in the past:

editting R7800 dnsmasq config will not help, as R7800 isn't using dnsmasq for DHCP, but is using udhcpd for that.
(and switching from udhcpd to dnsmasq will probably break too much)

It's probaply it will be a dumb question, but disabling Port Scan and Dos Protection on r7800 it will affect the router security?

It's probaply it will be a dumb question, but disabling Port Scan and Dos Protection on r7800 it will affect the router security?

Not mutch. NG is famous for having many, many false positives. And it puts a strain on the router. I personally have it disabled from day 1 and never had issues thus far in the past 3 years

Not mutch. NG is famous for having many, many false positives. And it puts a strain on the router. I personally have it disabled from day 1 and never had issues thus far in the past 3 years
I was asking because I'm seeing a in the log a lot of [DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from diferent IP addresses, anyway thanks for your help!

I was asking because I'm seeing a in the log a lot of [DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from diferent IP addresses, anyway thanks for your help!

I've had one case where if I enable DoS protection, the router would block one of my devices regardless of what I try to fix this. Disabling DoS protection make the problem go away. So as I said, lots of false positives to the point it's mostly worthless. Might catch 1-5% legitimate attempts but the rest is just false positives. It can even report your own devices on the LAN as trying to attack the router

I've had one case where if I enable DoS protection, the router would block one of my devices regardless of what I try to fix this. Disabling DoS protection make the problem go away. So as I said, lots of false positives to the point it's mostly worthless. Might catch 1-5% legitimate attempts but the rest is just false positives. It can even report your own devices on the LAN as trying to attack the router
It's a weird to report my own LAN devices, lol... I will stick with Voxel frimware and with Kamoj addon. Hoping it will do for security.

Your readme says you can't use the OpenVPN server and client at the same time. Is this still true and is there a workaround? I don't want to route internet traffic through the VPN, I just want to connect two networks by having both client and server on both ends. (If there are easier solutions to achieve this I'm open to suggestions ;)

EDIT: Nvm, I figured out OpenVPN can route networks of course...

Last edited:
Hello, I'm Ilias from Greece.

First post here.
I own a Netgear R7000 and a Netgear R7800 many years now and I had never faced any problem during Netgear updates (as far as I can tell).
I mostly use them as routers (R7000 on my parents house now) with a HDD plugged in the USB 3 port in order to stream media to TVs.
The last year R7800 firmwares are causing problems for no obvious reason. I cannot play content on HDD from my devices and with the latest firmware WiFi signal was worse than ever before with many drops.
I already knew the existence of Voxel Firmware but it was last night I decided to install the latest 1.0.2.80.5SF. So far so good, with every setting stored during upgrade. You can definitely feel the difference in speed browsing your files in the HDD and the total experience is much more smooth.
A big thank you for your effort.

I face 2 "problems" with this firmware.
The read-write speed to the HDD through WiFi dropped to 30MB/s (constant) but with Netgear firmware I could reed/write over 55MB/s and sometimes write speed was even 80MB/s
I cannot rename files on the HDD. I think that it's something I do wrong though.

Hello,
my R7800 has 1.0.2.80.5SF installed and for some reason the hdd spindown does not work any more. With older voxel firmware (don't know which one exactly) the spindown definitely worked with the same hdd. I restarted the router this morning and will have a look this evening if the hdd is in standby, but I guess it will not.

Someone else had this issue, too. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/hdd-spindown-on-r7800.55947/
But I never had to do anything to get the spindown working, it just worked in the past.

So were the any changes regarding this function?

EDIT:
At least hd-idle seems to be running. I will check the hdd later.

root@R7800:~$ ps | grep hd-idle
4799 root 232 S /usr/bin/hd-idle -i 600

EDIT2: Just checked it remote (told my gf to look at the hdd :D ) and it is not in spindown mode :/

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!