What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.82SF & v. 1.0.2.82.1SF & v. 1.0.2.82.2SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@RainGater96 This is not a thread about OpeWRT but your post is good so anyone can compare and share their results. I'm interested in your 2.4GHz Wlan speeds with OpenWRT. I personally recommend if you use OpenWRT to try the OpenWRT builds with NSS offloading too and if you want try the Master branch build too for more complete view of the performance.
My intent was not to derail this thread with OpenWRT. Since the device was running a tad hot and the load averages were running high, even though Voxel mentioned that it's only a bug, I thought of giving OpenWRT a swirl and check it out. I was pleasantly surprised that the build surpassed my expectations. Will try the NSS build and see how well it does.

NG web interface is so 1990s that I can't believe users are still putting up with it. Netgear, are you listening and it's high time that you upgrade the not-so-friendly interface.

This is my last post about OpenWRT as I do NOT want to diminish the value @Voxel is providing to this otherwise not-so-great NG firmware.

PS: @Voxel, Thank you for providing builds and much appreciate your effort.

My intent was not to derail this thread with OpenWRT. Since the device was running a tad hot and the load averages were running high, even though Voxel mentioned that it's only a bug, I thought of giving OpenWRT a swirl and check it out. I was pleasantly surprised that the build surpassed my expectations. Will try the NSS build and see how well it does.

NG web interface is so 1990s that I can't believe users are still putting up with it. Netgear, are you listening and it's high time that you upgrade the not-so-friendly interface.

This is my last post about OpenWRT as I do NOT want to diminish the value @Voxel is providing to this otherwise not-so-great NG firmware.

PS: @Voxel, Thank you for providing builds and much appreciate your effort.
I've personally tested OpenWRT NSS build Master branch but was surprised and unsatisfied only with the performance of the 2.4GHz Wlan. I could only get 20/40 Mbps down/up on a Laptop (same location in my furthest room) with OpenWRT where with the Voxel firmware (excellent job) I have 45-65/45-65 Mbps down/up (All of this is at lower Tx-Power). As I need good performance from the 2.4G Wlan I can neglect at least for now the other benefits of the OpenWRT.

Do not worry. My permanent respect to OpenWRT guys. I am very often re-using their work (https://github.com/openwrt). And as far as I know someone from them are re-using what I did as well. Cooperation. So 80 per cents of internals of my build is already latest OpenWRT. No competition but cooperation.

P.S.

I am using even more tricky experiments: you all are using my firmware compiled by gcc 10.2.0 (vs OpenWRT 8.4.0) binutils 2.36.1 (vs OpenWRT 2.35.1) and Go 1.16.2. vs (vs OpenWRT maybe 1.16)...

The only advantage of the stock is QCA proprietary drivers. It is what I have to keep. Re:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...1-0-2-82-1sf-v-1-0-2-82-2sf.69449/post-672828

IMO no additional thread is needed. Sorry.

Voxel.

I think that's why we are all here, because we want the best performance from this otherwise excellent hardware (but it is just a silent piece of iron without soul/software).
I definitely want it and because of this I test as many builds as possible. For me, I just can say that the @Voxel build is the best drop-in replacement to the NG firmware. And anyone can add a little salt with add-ons from @kamoj and @HELLO_wORLD.
Keep up the fluent fly.

Last edited:
@Voxel I've tried to open a port to use the remote connection to the router via SSH. I've used Port Forwarding in the Advanced Menu and @kamoj option Unrestricted Port Forwarding (to Router itself).
But I cannot connect to the router and just see a message in the system log for the attempt made but no error message. Is this working in your build or I have to use the /etc/netwall.conf method only.
Browsing the files I cannot find a recently modified firewall configuration file to see if there are any changes. Can I add a firewall rule that is allowed only for one or several MAC addresses.

@RainGater96 If you have high temperatures check the load of the CPU as per information here. Should you happen to use IPTV service from your ISP you may face the same issue that I had.

Last edited:
@Voxel I've tried to open a port to use the remote connection to the router via SSH. I've used Port Forwarding in the Advanced Menu and @kamoj option Unrestricted Port Forwarding (to Router itself).
But I cannot connect to the router and just see a message in the system log for the attempt made but no error message. Is this working in your build or I have to use the /etc/netwall.conf method only.
Sorry but questions regarding use of kamoj add-on are to @kamoj. I am using /etc/netwall.conf...

Browsing the files I cannot find a recently modified firewall configuration file to see if there are any changes. Can I add a firewall rule that is allowed only for one or several MAC addresses.
Most probably it could be done using /opt/firewall-start.sh

I am using restricted access by SSH based on concrete several IPs I allow because I need access not from concrete device but from all devices behind router from concrete node (with dynamic IP as well). Using ipset. Using cron and special script the list of allowed IP (ipset list) could be changed. Part of my script called from /opt/firewall-start.sh:

Code:
. . .
    # Add IPs from allowed.conf to SSHLIST table
    while read -r IP || [ -n "$IP" ]; do
        if [ ! -z "$IP" ] ; then
            ipset -A SSHLIST $IP
        fi
    done < $AllowedIP

iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -j DROP
    iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -m set --match-set SSHLIST src -j ACCEPT
. . .

For the rest mobile devices (e.g. for my iPhone) I am using VPN (WireGuard) access to my LAN including router IP. WireGuard server is working on PC (Debian) connected to router with WG port forwarding to this PC.

Voxel.

Sorry but questions regarding use of kamoj add-on are to @kamoj. I am using /etc/netwall.conf...

Most probably it could be done using /opt/firewall-start.sh

I am using restricted access by SSH based on concrete several IPs I allow because I need access not from concrete device but from all devices behind router from concrete node (with dynamic IP as well). Using ipset. Using cron and special script the list of allowed IP (ipset list) could be changed. Part of my script called from /opt/firewall-start.sh:

Code:
. . .
    # Add IPs from allowed.conf to SSHLIST table
    while read -r IP || [ -n "$IP" ]; do
        if [ ! -z "$IP" ] ; then
            ipset -A SSHLIST $IP
        fi
    done < $AllowedIP

iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -j DROP
    iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -m set --match-set SSHLIST src -j ACCEPT
. . .

For the rest mobile devices (e.g. for my iPhone) I am using VPN (WireGuard) access to my LAN including router IP. WireGuard server is working on PC (Debian) connected to router with WG port forwarding to this PC.

Voxel.
I like the way you've set up your network but can we hope that you can add WireGuard server (not only the client side) to your firmwares.
I personally would prefer to connect to the WireGuard server (if you can add it) running on my R7800 (it's always on) so I can access my LAN services remotely without port forwarding.
This way I could remotely start any PC (not need to run constantly) in my LAN using WakeOnLan and use any LAN service via VPN.

I like the way you've set up your network but can we hope that you can add WireGuard server (not only the client side) to your firmwares.
I personally would prefer to connect to the WireGuard server (if you can add it) running on my R7800 (it's always on) so I can access my LAN services remotely without port forwarding.
This way I could remotely start any PC (not need to run constantly) in my LAN using WakeOnLan and use any LAN service via VPN.
WireGuard server: sorry, impossible for R7800 (my firmware). Minimal requirement for WireGuard support: kernel version >= 3.10. Version of kernel used in R7800: 3.4.103.

So it is why only wireguard-go WG client could be used. And it is (wireguard-go) slower vs OpenVPN client...

If you have some other gadgets in your LAN powered by Linux: it is better to use it as a WireGuard server. E.g. Raspberry Pi.

Voxel.

Does the dropbear server on R7800 listen only to the LAN side (ethlan) or to all interfaces?
It looks like all interfaces (all addresses).

The process list on the R7800 has it running with the following command-line:

/usr/sbin/dropbear -p 22 -a -s -P /var/run/dropbear.pid

-a Allow remote hosts to connect to forwarded ports.

-s Disable password logins.

-p [address:]port Listen on specified address and TCP port. If just a port is given listen on all addresses. up to 10 can be specified (default 22 if none specified).

Bit of an odd question @Voxel but hoping you or others can assist?

We've recently been having lots of powercuts (2 per day average) and I've noticed that every time when the power comes back on, my R7800 (AP mode) on V1.0.2.82.1SF will only sync at 100mbps with the main router, and speedtests only show ~20mbps throughput. When unplug and reconnect lan cable at R7800 AP, then connection will change to 1000mbps and speedtest reflect correct internet connection speed of 200mbps.

Any idea why this might happen? This has only started happening on V1.0.2.82.1SF, never was a problem on previous FW.

(Also to be fair, this might be FW, HW or related to the router and not the AP. But only thing changed recently was going to V1.0.2.82.1SF FW.)

Bit of an odd question @Voxel but hoping you or others can assist?

We've recently been having lots of powercuts (2 per day average) and I've noticed that every time when the power comes back on, my R7800 (AP mode) on V1.0.2.82.1SF will only sync at 100mbps with the main router, and speedtests only show ~20mbps throughput. When unplug and reconnect lan cable at R7800 AP, then connection will change to 1000mbps and speedtest reflect correct internet connection speed of 200mbps.

Any idea why this might happen? This has only started happening on V1.0.2.82.1SF, never was a problem on previous FW.

(Also to be fair, this might be FW, HW or related to the router and not the AP. But only thing changed recently was going to V1.0.2.82.1SF FW.)
@VicB,

Please see if the following article applies to your setup:

My setup has 2 R7800 devices, 1 in router mode and 1 in AP mode. In my case there is a gigabit switch between the two devices. I have not had any issues with the RJ45 ports dropping down to 100 mbps on either device, running any of the following versions: V1.0.2.81.1SF, V1.0.2.82SF, V1.0.2.82.1SF, V1.0.2.82.2SF, V1.0.2.82.4SF snapshot, 1.0.2.83SF.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!