What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.82SF & v. 1.0.2.82.1SF & v. 1.0.2.82.2SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello Voxel, i am a newbie here, i have followed your firmware documentation to install entware on 81.1sf, i also installed Kamoj add-on too.
Am i need to install kamoj add-on again after upgraded to 82sf? or do i need to remove kamoj add-on first in order to install 82sf?
btw very happy to work with your custom firmware, compare it with official firmware is day and night different.
Hello,
When you install a new firmware, it will "almost" start your router anew. All the addons you have installed, all the directories you have created, will be gone when you restart. It's safer to save your configuration before you install a new firmware over the previous one.

i also create the swap file on my usb stick. do i need to type "swapon swap" again?
also thanks for your add-on, it is awesome

I installed Entware once, and created the swap once.
Flashed many firmware updates since, swap is still there.

Thank you for your help now i get 82SF up and running flawlessly.
all i need to do after upgrade is to set up ssh and install kamoj add-on again.
lastly, thanks to this community again, although r7800 is a bit old right now, it still kick butt for sure.

thanks keiser, i have done it already.
the ssh key won't stay after firmware upgrade, got it.
Just save your ssh keys on your USB drive, and in the post-mount.sh script, add a cp command to copy them back to the .ssh directory.

You will never have to think about it after firmware flashes after that ;)

Two days from now, my R7800 freeze twice, I don't know why.
The router seems locked up, ssh and router web page is not responding and the light of 2.4G wifi and 5G wifi are not lit. Reboot the router will resolve the issue for a short period of time.
As my experience, some of the official firmware will have the same issue.
Is anybody having the same issue as mine?

You can read the kamoj add-on FAQ.txt and see if that can help you:
Q: I have tried different Firmware (Netgear / Voxel / DD-WRT / LEDE / OpenWRT) and now I can't switch on the WiFi! What can I do? Q: My WiFi can not be switched on. It's on in ADVANCED: Advanced Setup: Wireless Settings, but the BASIC page and the Kamoj add-on Router Information shows it as off. Also there really is no WiFi available to connect. What can I do? (@Giudi001)

The router seems locked up, ssh and router web page is not responding and the light of 2.4G wifi and 5G wifi are not lit. Reboot the router will resolve the issue for a short period of time.

Hello, see this

NETGEAR R7800 FIRMWARE v1.0.2.80 issues

Netgear R7800 Firmware v1.0.2.80 contains BUGS

EXACLTLY SAME PROBLEMS and random REBOOT !!!
with firmware v1.0.2.74 or v1.0.2.76 or v1.0.2.78

R7800 reboots randomly after boot up .... works 2 minutes and reboot...

WIFI drops in AP MODE / unable to use AP MODE

R7800 v1.0.2.80 firmware always contains BUGS ...

Even with fresh and clean install :
Reset the router = push reset button for 10s... Still the same problem.

DO NOT UPDATE FIRMWARE v1.0.2.80 R7800

Back to firmware v1.0.2.68 and everything is OK again...

Hello, see this

NETGEAR R7800 FIRMWARE v1.0.2.80 issues​

Netgear R7800 Firmware v1.0.2.80 contains BUGS

EXACLTLY SAME PROBLEMS and random REBOOT !!!
with firmware v1.0.2.74 or v1.0.2.76 or v1.0.2.78

R7800 reboots randomly after boot up .... works 2 minutes and reboot...

WIFI drops in AP MODE / unable to use AP MODE

R7800 v1.0.2.80 firmware always contains BUGS ...

Even with fresh and clean install :
Reset the router = push reset button for 10s... Still the same problem.

DO NOT UPDATE FIRMWARE v1.0.2.80 R7800

Back to firmware v1.0.2.68 and everything is OK again...
Kamoj is right, i do exactly that, and my r7800 running entire day without freezing.
telnet or ssh into R7800
run these command accordingly:
nvram default
nvram commit
mtd erase netgear
reboot
Notice: this will reset your Router, please backup your setting

Update: using this method, my R7800 running for two days, no freeze or lockup problem.

Last edited:
To keep synchronization with R9000/R8900 firmware changes:

New version of my custom firmware build: 1.0.2.82.1SF.

Changes (vs 1.0.2.82SF):

1. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.15.6->1.15.7.
2. Toolchain: binutils version is upgraded 2.35.1->2.36.
3. wget package is upgraded 1.20.3->1.21.1.
4. ca-certificates package is upgraded 20200601->20210119.
5. curl package is upgraded 7.74.0->7.75.0.
6. net-wall script: special processing IPv6 option 'net-wall -6 start' or 'net-wall -6 restart' (thanks to HELLO_wORLD).
7. iprange 1.0.4 package is added (Aegis, HELLO_wORLD).

Voxel.

I hope @HELLO_wORLD will describe the changes in net-wall... Thank you.

Sure :)

The NG binary of net-wall (net-wall-bin) that is called from @Voxel net-wall script) does have a -6 argument that is used by the IPv6 internal scripts when the IPv6 part of the firewall needs to be started, restarted or stopped.

I noticed that when -6 is used, it only affects IPv6 (ip6tables) and does not touch IPv4.

And when -6 is not used, it only affects IPv4 (iptables), leaving IPv6 alone.

So => to follow the logic of the original binary, and avoid creating multiple identical rules (generating problems):

Change 1: now the @Voxel net-wall script does nothing about IPv4 if called with -6.

Change 2: now, the @Voxel net-wall script is only calling the well known user script /opt/scripts/firewall-start.sh when -6 is not used.

Change 3: now, the @Voxel net-wall script is calling a new user script (if it exists): /opt/scripts/firewall6-start.sh only when -6 is used. This script should contain any custom ip6tables rules (or post process) the same way the firewall-start.sh one should contain any iptables rules (or post process).

That means that now in the /opt/scripts directory:
firewall-start.sh is only about IPv4 and is called each time the IPv4 firewall is (re)started.
firewall6-start.sh is only about IPv6 and is called each time the IPv6 firewall is (re)started.

Last edited:
This is the second time I had an issue after an upgrade. It was very strange. Some devices had Internet service and others did not. The ones that didn't were mostly wireless. Rebooting didn't help. I had to restore my settings, but thankfully no need for a factory reset. I'm wondering if my router memory is beginning to fail. I have zero stability issues. I only had problems after doing a firmware upgrade.

This is the second time I had an issue after an upgrade. It was very strange. Some devices had Internet service and others did not. The ones that didn't were mostly wireless. Rebooting didn't help. I had to restore my settings, but thankfully no need for a factory reset. I'm wondering if my router memory is beginning to fail. I have zero stability issues. I only had problems after doing a firmware upgrade.
Any idea on what settings were changed/lost?

Any idea on what settings were changed/lost?

No. It was just strange behavior. The router claimed the Internet connection was good. My laptop over wifi could connect to the network, but not the Internet. My Nest cameras went offline. My tablet and two Fire TVs worked perfectly. Rebooting didn't help. Restarting the Cable modem and then router didn't help. Restoring the settings did.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!