What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.82SF & v. 1.0.2.82.1SF & v. 1.0.2.82.2SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Has anyone been able to successfully install these updates on a R7800 running in AP mode? I saw others are having problems but no solutions/workarounds. If anyone has any ideas of what to look for in the logs, i can spend some time examining them.

Received an email today from No-IP:

We are emailing you to inform you of a policy change for your
Netgear
hostname (mynetgear.com), powered by No-IP.

Beginning March 1, 2021, all free mynetgear.com hostnames will be required to be confirmed once every 30 days, or they will be deleted from our system.

Apologies if this has already been asked, but is it possible to add additional DynDNS providers to the firmware? It looks like service with Dyn.com (only other alternative) is not free.

Has anyone been able to successfully install these updates on a R7800 running in AP mode? I saw others are having problems but no solutions/workarounds. If anyone has any ideas of what to look for in the logs, i can spend some time examining them.

Yes. I only run in AP mode.

Yes. I only run in AP mode.
Would you mind sharing your settings? AP mode has very few settings. I'm wondering if it has to do with the use of DFS. Are you using an attached USB storage? Auto or Short preamble? My WPS is disabled. I have three devices connected to the ethernet ports: An Ubiquiti EdgeRouter <=>WAN, Xbox Series X on LAN1, Garage opener (running @ 10Mbps) on LAN 2, Seagate 4TB on USB 3 (HFS+ partition)

Would you mind sharing your settings? AP mode has very few settings. I'm wondering if it has to do with the use of DFS. Are you using an attached USB storage? Auto or Short preamble? My WPS is disabled. I have three devices connected to the ethernet ports: An Ubiquiti EdgeRouter <=>WAN, Xbox Series X on LAN1, Garage opener (running @ 10Mbps) on LAN 2, Seagate 4TB on USB 3 (HFS+ partition)

Not using any DFS channels
No attached USB storage
Auto preamble
WPS is disabled
Just the pfSense firewall is connected to an ethernet port

Not using any DFS channels
No attached USB storage
Auto preamble
WPS is disabled
Just the pfSense firewall is connected to an ethernet portI
Thank you for sharing this.
I'm going to do some tests with non-DFS channels (My area is mega-congested but it is worth the try) without the USB storage. I'll share the results

Thank you for sharing this.
I'm going to do some tests with non-DFS channels (My area is mega-congested but it is worth the try) without the USB storage. I'll share the results
Sorry I just do not understand what specific problems do you expect in AP mode?

Has anyone been able to successfully install these updates on a R7800 running in AP mode?
I was able to install. And I do use it in AP mode.

DFS channels
USB storage is attached (ext4), samba and FTP, minidlna (ReadySHARE)
Auto preamble
WPS is disabled

Voxel.

DFS channels
Auto preamble
WPS is disabled

Voxel.
Hey Voxel,

If you are using the r7800 in AP mode, what router are you using? Of course if you don't mind sharing with us.

I'm asking because I'm still a newbie in the routing network stuff.

Regards,

Hey Voxel,

If you are using the r7800 in AP mode, what router are you using? Of course if you don't mind sharing with us.

I'm asking because I'm still a newbie in the routing network stuff.

Regards,
Oops... I am not the right guy to follow me...

Sometimes my router is the same mentioned above R7800 (I have three R7800, one of them is in router mode)). Sometimes it is R9000 (I have two). Sometimes it is ORBI RBR50 (two RBR50 and two RBS50)....

You know... A lot of testing is needed when I release my firmware... Just a hobby.

P.S.
All of routers above I have to use in router mode are OK for using in router mode. At least with my version of firmware. IMO.

Voxel.

DFS channels
Auto preamble
WPS is disabled

Voxel.
Voxel:
My issue is that any firmwares (yours) above 80+ cause my R7800 to reboot and I have not being able to find the cause. SwampCracker almost the same configuration as mine (AP mode) except for the DFS. Hence my idea is to choose a non-DFS channel, install .82 firmware and see if the rebooting stops. Makes sense?

In the NG forums people are also having problems with the latest firmware and the R7800 rebooting for no apparent reason. Something after after 1.0.2.79 is making some R7800 unstable in AP mode.

Hence my idea is to choose a non-DFS channel, install .82 firmware and see if the rebooting stops. Makes sense?
I do not think so. Sorry. I am using R7800 in AP mode with 64 (DFS), Region: Europe. Exactly this R7800 in AP mode is mainly used by all of my family. 24/7. Stable. No reboots.

Well. Add-on to this my message:

DFS channels
Auto preamble
WPS is disabled

I have ReadyCLOUD and kwilt disabled (Sorry, I do not like these stuffs from NG).

Recently @kamoj pointed me the bug (NG/DNI bug, not mine) in the net-lan script related to net-lan and ReadyCLOUD for R9000. As far as I remember I've fixed this exactly in 80SF (for R7800). But seems, I missed this fix after 80SF... Sorry. From my changelog:

1.0.2.80SF:

1. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.14.6->1.15.1.
2. Toolchain: binutils version is upgraded 2.34->2.35.
3. OpenSSL v. 1.0.2 package: change default config directory.
4. net-lan init script bug is fixed (thanks to kamoj).
5. qcawifi.sh: Fix for guest Wi-Fi allowing DNS over TCP (thanks to R. Gerrits).
. . .

Really bad that I've missed this fix...

Could you try to disable these ReadyCLOUD and kwilt to test? From telnet or ssh:

Code:
nvram set nocloud=1
nvram set nokwilt=1
nvram commit
reboot

I'll add the fix to the next release. But bug exists in the all current released versions. Stock and mine. For R7800/R9000/ORBI.

Voxel.

I do not think so. Sorry. I am using R7800 in AP mode with 64 (DFS), Region: Europe. Exactly this R7800 in AP mode is mainly used by all of my family. 24/7. Stable. No reboots.

I have ReadyCLOUD and kwilt disabled (Sorry, I do not like these stuffs from NG).

Recently @kamoj pointed me the bug (NG/DNI bug, not mine) in the net-lan script related to net-lan and ReadyCLOUD for R9000. As far as I remember I've fixed this exactly in 80SF (for R7800). But seems, I missed this fix after 80SF... Sorry. From my changelog:

1.0.2.80SF:

5. qcawifi.sh: Fix for guest Wi-Fi allowing DNS over TCP (thanks to R. Gerrits).
. . .

Could you try to disable these ReadyCLOUD and kwilt to test? From telnet or ssh:

Code:
nvram set nocloud=1
nvram set nokwilt=1
nvram commit
reboot

I'll add the fix to the next release. But bug exists in the all current released versions. Stock and mine. For R7800/R9000/ORBI.

Voxel.
Yes, I'll test this with your latest release today. I really appreciate the help (and I do realize that it is not your bug because NG forums are reporting the same issue)

I have noticed a decrease in Wi-Fi performance with this release.

My WiFi speeds for internet have dropped from average 307Mb to around 260Mb after the update. Ping has gone up slightly. Uploads have stayed the same at around 50Mb.

1.0.2.80SF:

. . .

Code:
nvram set nocloud=1
nvram set nokwilt=1
nvram commit
reboot

Voxel.
Tested. No reboots with the nocloud/nokwit in 24+ hrs :)
iperf3 speeds are comparable with .79 .
Thank you so much! It was driving me nuts

Quickfix/Snapshot version 1.0.2.82.2SF.

Changes (vs 1.0.2.82.1SF):

1. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.15.7->1.15.8.
2. Toolchain: binutils version is upgraded 2.36->2.36.1.
3. Fix NG/DNI bug in net-lan for ReadyCLOUD ('alish.sh'->'alias.sh') (thanks to @kamoj).
4. util-linux package is upgraded 2.36.1->2.36.2.
5. ubus package is upgraded 2020-12-04->2021-02-15.

Voxel.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!