What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.82SF & v. 1.0.2.82.1SF & v. 1.0.2.82.2SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@Voxel

Just installed 82.2SF on my 7800.

Words cannot express how appreciative I am for your firmware updates.

I bought my 7800 in December 2018 based on @thiggins recommendation. I believe the 7800 had been in production for over two years when I bought it. I immediately switched to your firmware after the initial power up and never looked back.

Now it's 2021. I have zero urge to invest in a current router. I get plenty of performance and wi-fi coverage out of my 7800. More importantly, I get stability.

Many thanks!

Thank you for the upgrade @Voxel !

Can someone help me? I have lost SSH & WinSCP connection to the router.

I have saved the entire ssh folder containing id_dropbear, id_rsa, id_rsa.pub & privatekey.ppk when i created the ssh keys the first time, on my PC. I dont have the folder on the USB attached to the router.

How do I add them back to router and in which folder? I only currently have telnet access.

Last edited:
Thank you for the upgrade @Voxel !

Can someone help me? I have lost SSH & WinSCP connection to the router.

I have saved the entire ssh folder containing id_dropbear, id_rsa, id_rsa.pub & privatekey.ppk when i created the ssh keys the first time, on my PC. I dont have the folder on the USB attached to the router.

How do I add them back to router and in which folder? I only currently have telnet access.
I managed to copy them back to USB. Where should i copy them now and which exact files so ssh via putty can work again with saved session?

Last edited:

I managed to copy them back to USB. Where should i copy them now so ssh via putty can work again?

Listed set of your files is not enough to restore ssh access. Did not you backup your authorized_keys file? Exactly this file is needed to allow your access by ssh from putty (PC) to the router. It should be in the /root/.ssh directory i.e.

/root/.ssh/authorized_keys

and its permission should be set to 0600

chmod 0600 /root/.ssh/authorized_keys

If you did not backup it, you should be able to restore it manually from your putty key privatekey.ppk. Load it to puttygen.exe and you can see what to add into your /root/.ssh/authorized_keys using e.g. 'nano' text editor

nano /root/.ssh/authorized_keys

puttygen.exe displays what to paste into /root/.ssh/authorized_keys using COPY/PASTE

1613569479808.png

P.S.

It is rightly pointed by @HELLO_wORLD:

E.g. part of my /mnt/sda1/autorun/scripts/post-mount.sh:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
. . .
# Autorestore from backup if flashing new firmware is detected
if [ ! -f /root/.ssh/authorized_keys ]; then
    cd /
    tar xf /mnt/optware/backup/root.tar
    echo "Flashing new firmware is detected. Restore settings from archive." > /tmp/autorun.log
fi

I.e. it is better to make a backup storing whole /root directory (once) and to provide "autorestore" as in example above.

Voxel.

Last edited:
Listed set of your files is not enough to restore ssh access. Did not you backup your authorized_keys file? Exactly this file is needed to allow your access by ssh from putty (PC) to the router. It should be in the /root/.ssh directory i.e.

/root/.ssh/authorized_keys

and its permission should be set to 0600

chmod 0600 /root/.ssh/authorized_keys

If you did not backup it, you should be able to restore it manually from your putty key privatekey.ppk. Load it to puttygen.exe and you can see what to add into your /root/.ssh/authorized_keys using e.g. 'nano' text editor

nano /root/.ssh/authorized_keys

puttygen.exe displays what to paste into /root/.ssh/authorized_keys using COPY/PASTE

View attachment 30878

P.S.

It is rightly pointed by @HELLO_wORLD:

E.g. part of my /mnt/sda1/autorun/scripts/post-mount.sh:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
. . .
# Autorestore from backup if flashing new firmware is detected
if [ ! -f /root/.ssh/authorized_keys ]; then
    cd /
    tar xf /mnt/optware/backup/root.tar
    echo "Flashing new firmware is detected. Restore settings from archive." > /tmp/autorun.log
fi

I.e. it is better to make a backup storing whole /root directory (once) and to provide "autorestore" as in example above.

Voxel.

Dear @Voxel many thanks for your answer!

However when trying to edit /root/.ssh/authorized_keys I get an empty file which won't save no matter how I edit it. I copy-paste the key and pressing :wq! won't save anything. Any advise?

Capture.PNG

However when trying to edit /root/.ssh/authorized_keys I get an empty file which won't save no matter how I edit it. I copy-paste the key and pressing :wq! won't save anything. Any advise?

Run first:

Code:
mkdir /root/.ssh

This directory '/root/.ssh' just does not exist. So you cannot save your file in non-exsistent directory...

After that repeat your actions again.

Voxel.

Run first:

Code:
mkdir /root/.ssh

This directory '/root/.ssh' just does not exist. So you cannot save your file in non-exsistent directory...

After that repeat your actions again.

Voxel.
I have already tried it but with no avail:

Capture.PNG

Many thanks & very sorry for your trouble! SSH now works again. WinSCP still wont connect though:
No troubles for me, do not worry. We are here to help each other.

WinSCP: I am sorry, I do not use this program so I am not aware of its usage. Maybe it tries to access using password but not the key? Or wrong key? Or additional key you used in the past exactly for WinSCP and it should be added to /root/.ssh/authorized_keys...

Voxel.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!