What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.83SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The download log may register my IP address only once, but that single download would usually end up on 2 R7800 devices. I'm sure there are other people like me out there using Voxel's firmware on more than 1 device.
Out of topic. You know, it does not matter now. For me. Theoretically the only single concrete ISP could provide the only single IP for thousand of users and (let us suppose) hundred of them could have R7800 as a router with Voxel FW. Who knows... I remember a time when I had only 30 downloads during months and I was happy that people are using my firmware.

12K of users: let it be theoretical minimum I've seen myself in real a year ago. Plus ORBI users of Voxel. Plus R8900/R9000 users of Voxel. Just imagine all this amount of people on the square/street... Cool. And mainly positive feedbacks.

P.S. He-he... Funny. Some fantastic. Monthly releases of my builds: even if even only one USD from every user of my build I would be able to stop my paper job (scientific articles/papers and research) and to concentrate only on fw for routers...

Voxel.

This was discussed previously. Basically, westwood is very greedy algo that sucks up all available bandwidth when needed, leaving little over for other things that want it too. YeAH is more balanced and fair and while you may see a bit lower throughput, the plus side is that it distributes it fairly across all streams. Westwood looks only at packet loss while YeAH is hybrid and looks at 2 things, packet loss and delay. It can more precisely estimate congestion and the needed bandwidth to distribute across all that ask for it

My R7800 in router mode has been up and stable, including both WiFi bands, for 76+ hours now after the upgrade to @Voxel V1.0.2.83SF firmware (with @HELLO_wORLD's Aegis 1.7.7; and @kamoj V5.4b23 -- will eventually upgrade to V5.4b24 later). I noticed that it was still using westwood Congestion Control after the firmware upgrade was completed and used the Kamoj Menu Settings page to select the yeah Congestion Control.

Since then, the Network Session (Active/Total) statistics on my Kamoj Menu Router Information page has remained noticeable lower and does not have huge spikes, as compared to when westwood was being used.

Anyone else had problems uploading the firmware?
The past couple of releases I've had to try to upload multiple times before the router would accept it and both times it said was an older firmware than the one already installed.

Thanks for sharing @sppmaster. Those are interesting statistics. The results from my test with yeah are not quite as good as yours, reporting grade A - "Your latency increased slightly under load."
Depends where you run the test from (in your LAN), as the connection (etc, WiFi) and device used are influencing drastically the result.
I get a B, but ran from older iPad on WiFi.
Best would be from from powerful enough device on Ethernet.

Thank you @Voxel !
I've just run a OpenVPN Client speed test using the Kamoj Add-on built-in speedtest.sh command:
Code:
speedtest.sh 10 auto 14200
It was the first time I run the test for long time, since the router has felt so snappy this year!
The result was amazing, actually the best ever, if I remember correctly.
I ran the test 10 times and it never went below 100 Mbps.

The R7800 might be a bit old, but with Voxel Firmware it still delivers!

Voxel Firmware: v1.0.2.83SF
Kamoj Add-on: 5.4b24
Aegis: 1.7.7 (logging on)
DNS: DNSCrypt using Voxel default servers.
VPN provider: AzireVPN (Server: se1-3.azirevpn.net)
Server: First one in the list of nearby servers from Ookla (14200)
Cipher: AES-256-CBC
Socket Buffers: R=1048576 S=786432
Congestion Algorithm: yeah

Result, highest speed:
Download speed with OpenVPN: 126447 kbps

As usual, Voxel did a good job,
thanks for keeping my R7800 up to date.

Like sppmaster, no change for me between westwood and yeah -> results here 1.0.2.82.1SF 1.0.2.83SF

Congestion control algo's are not so much about speed but about how they handle congestion. Admittedly, CCs are often tested by their speed but IMHO it's better to test how they handle congestion when you put them under pressure. As previously mentioned, Westwood seems to be pretty unfair while the opposite is true for YeAH. The latter may perform slightly less in relation to throughput but will try to assure that all streams get their share as best as possible. Westwood will just suck up everything for that one stream that wants it and give little to the rest.

@Voxel

When using DHCPv6, after a router restart, radvd fails to start thus resulting in no default route advertising (RA) to connected devices. Always have to manually start it with radvd -C /tmp/radvd.conf. Then everything works

@Voxel

When using DHCPv6, after a router restart, radvd fails to start thus resulting in no default route advertising (RA) to connected devices. Always have to manually start it with radvd -C /tmp/radvd.conf. Then everything works
IPv6 is not great by default on R7800 (NG’s fault with outdated binaries not open source).
I did not notice this radvd problem because I rewrote most of the IPv6 scripts for my own needs, and I got it to work very well.
When tweaked, R7800 IPv6 can be very fine.

We also have to keep in mind that @Voxel does not have IPv6 service from his ISP, so he is limited in testing and working on what is related to it.

IPv6 is not great by default on R7800 (NG’s fault with outdated binaries not open source).
I did not notice this radvd problem because I rewrote most of the IPv6 scripts for my own needs, and I got it to work very well.
When tweaked, R7800 IPv6 can be very fine.

We also have to keep in mind that @Voxel does not have IPv6 service from his ISP, so he is limited in testing and working on what is related to it.

My ISP has terrible IPv6 support. What am I missing out on?

It was the first time I run the test for long time, since the router has felt so snappy this year!
The result was amazing, actually the best ever, if I remember correctly.
I ran the test 10 times and it never went below 100 Mbps.

Thank you. Maybe this

18. Selective optimization '-O3' of kernel components/modules (slight boost).

could be the reason.

Voxel.

@Voxel

There is very strange logic of starting IPv6 in the stock and @HELLO_wORLD is right.

init6 is called somehow from pre-built net-cgi, other binaries... So sorry... You can create your own init script in /etc/init.d to start it automatically. I have to test myself to make the changes...

Voxel.

My ISP has terrible IPv6 support. What am I missing out on?
Well, what are more precisely your issues/questions?
Is your IPv6 working at all? Partially?
How is your ISP providing your IPv6? (static, stateless, dhcp...)
What is your setup (LAN) and needs for IPv6 on LAN (do you need fixed IPs for some devices)?

Well, what are more precisely your issues/questions?
Is your IPv6 working at all? Partially?
How is your ISP providing your IPv6? (static, stateless, dhcp...)
What is your setup (LAN) and needs for IPv6 on LAN (do you need fixed IPs for some devices)?

My Lan is using IPv6. AFAIK, I'm not connecting to any computers on the Internet via IPv6. What I'd like to know is the use case for this. Are there any IPv6 exclusive sites? Are there any advantages I'm missing out.?

My Lan is using IPv6. AFAIK, I'm not connecting to any computers on the Internet via IPv6. What I'd like to know is the use case for this. Are there any IPv6 exclusive sites? Are there any advantages I'm missing out.?
About IPv6:
Right now, IPv6 does not bring anything to the end users. Almost all sites are both IPv4+6 or just IPv4. I think there are very few IPv6 only websites, but they are anecdotal.
Its usage will increase as available IPv4 addresses are reaching its limit. All web browsers and modern devices (computers, phones, tablets...) are IPv6 compliant (to some extent, as Android devices for example is only working with stateless IPv6 addressing, not DHCPv6).
IPv6 also allow with prefix delegation for every device on a LAN to have its own public address, removing the need for NAT and port forwarding.
Also, IPv6 works in parallel with IPv4, so it offers a second route to many services and websites, so if one is not working, the other will take over.

Your situation:
Your LAN is IPv6, because you set it up that way or is it configured by the router via DHCP or stateless addressing?
Are you supposed to have working IPv6 from your provider (but customer support is very bad in helping set it up), or are they simply not providing working IPv6?
Are the addresses on your LAN global, aka supposed to be public (from your ISP)? Of just local addresses?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!