What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.86SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
Continuation of

. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-84sf.71885/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-85sf.72578/

New version of my custom firmware build: 1.0.2.86SF.

Changes (vs 1.0.2.85SF):

1. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.16.4->1.16.5.
2. curl package is upgraded 7.76.1->7.77.0 (fixing CVE-2021-22897, CVE-2021-22898, CVE-2021-22901).
3. expat package is upgraded 2.2.10->2.4.1 (fixing CVE-2013-0340).
4. OpenVPN is upgraded 2.5.2->2.5.3.
5. proftpd package is upgraded 1.3.7a->1.3.7b.
6. util-linux package is upgraded 2.36.2->2.37.
7. libubox package is upgraded 2021-03-02->2021-05-16.
8. ubus package is upgraded 2021-02-15->2021-06-03.
9. libxml2 package is upgraded 2.9.10->2.9.12.
10. iperf3 package is upgraded 3.9->3.10.1.
11. nano package is upgraded 5.7->5.8.

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Voxel.

@Voxel loving the firmware! Thank you for your continued work, actually convinced me to keep my R7800. Have a question for you though, before I start tearing this thing down to solve an issue. This seems to be a Netgear only issue from my testing. It appears that in AP mode, some form of UPNP is still running. I currently have the device in AP mode, connected to my pfsense box. Every time I need to utilize upnp for one specific static IP, I'm forced to restart the upnp service on the firewall, overriding whatever upnp from the Netgear has pushed out to the network.

If anyone has found a fix for this, I'd be interested.

Last edited:
@Voxel loving the firmware! Thank you for your continued work, actually convinced me to keep my R7800. Have a question for you though, before I start tearing this thing down to solve an issue. This seems to be a Netgear only issue from my testing. It appears that in AP mode, some form of UPNP is still running. I currently have the device in AP mode, connected to my pfsense box. Every time I need to utilize upnp for one specific static IP, I'm forced to restart the upnp service on the firewall, overriding whatever upnp from the Netgear has pushed out to the network.

If anyone has found a fix for this, I'd be interested.

There was hotfix from @kamoj for UPnP startup script:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...-53sf-1-0-2-53sf-kf-updated.46941/post-416026

but seems it should be extended a bit. I've checked and looks as UPnP is started in my AP too...

So to fix it:

Change the file /sbin/cmdupnp adding sleep command (red below):

. . .

if [ ! -f /sbin/kwilt ] && [ "$upnp_enable" = "0" ]; then
echo "No kwilt and upnp disable, so not start miniupnpd." > /dev/console
else
/usr/sbin/miniupnpd &
fi

sleep 2
[ "$upnp_enable" = "0" ] && killall miniupnpd
}
. . .

and disable upnp in nvram if it is not disabled:

Code:
nvram set upnp_enable=0
nvram commit

I'll add fix for /sbin/cmdupnp in the next release. Plus some English grammar for comments in this scrip....

Voxel.

Thanks for continuing to support this router it works so well for me . I tried to replace it with a new ax access point with a 2.5gb uplink tplink eap 660hd and could not even get the speeds I get with this router on 5GHZ and 160 bandwidth. I don't see the point in AX yet for me. Great work.

There was hotfix from @kamoj for UPnP startup script:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...-53sf-1-0-2-53sf-kf-updated.46941/post-416026

but seems it should be extended a bit. I've checked and looks as UPnP is started in my AP too...

So to fix it:

Change the file /sbin/cmdupnp adding sleep command (red below):

. . .

if [ ! -f /sbin/kwilt ] && [ "$upnp_enable" = "0" ]; then
echo "No kwilt and upnp disable, so not start miniupnpd." > /dev/console
else
/usr/sbin/miniupnpd &
fi

sleep 2
[ "$upnp_enable" = "0" ] && killall miniupnpd
}
. . .

and disable upnp in nvram if it is not disabled:

Code:
nvram set upnp_enable=0
nvram commit

I'll add fix for /sbin/cmdupnp in the next release. Plus some English grammar for comments in this scrip....

Voxel.
Thanks for the reply! You just saved me a few hours of digging haha

Thanks. Excellent job. The only thing I see is that Aegis shield stats (@HELLO_wORLD) is empty 24-hours after the update.
Likely not related to the firmware, as I did the upgrade and I still have the stats…
Do you still have logging enabled? Maybe it got disabled during upgrade?

Hello everyone! I've been testing this Router on Voxel's firmware for half a year now. I want to say that it is very stable in operation, compared to the factory firmware, which I tested one month after purchase. I bought this Router only after positive reviews on the Internet. The support of the software from Mr. Voxel is very happy, and I think it deserves a monetary reward.
Thank you for your hard work, Mr. Voxel !! Poke my nose into the link where I can support you financially.

Hello everyone! I've been testing this Router on Voxel's firmware for half a year now. I want to say that it is very stable in operation, compared to the factory firmware, which I tested one month after purchase. I bought this Router only after positive reviews on the Internet. The support of the software from Mr. Voxel is very happy, and I think it deserves a monetary reward.
Thank you for your hard work, Mr. Voxel !! Poke my nose into the link where I can support you financially.
Go to the Voxel firmware page: http://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/html/r7800.html

Click on the yellow Donate button in the lower left corner. From my own experience, I know it works. ;)

@Voxel

Just installed 86SF.

My Samsung S9+ phone continues to connect to 5GHz quickly. I first noticed the improvement with 83SF.

All Shields Up tests pass which I had no doubt they would.

I believe your 7800 firmware is approaching six sigma.

Thanks and all the best!

Sorry if its been asked b4 but do you need to remove kamoj modifications before updating the voxel firmware ?

Thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!