What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.88SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi Voxel,

I am using your firmware (.88SF) on R7800 for the first time, and I would like to thank you for your efforts!
Pkg list from your repository is updated and upgraded, but once installation of softether server entware is attempted, there is a following error:

Code:
root@R7800:~$ /opt/bin/opkg install softethervpn5-server
Package softethervpn5-server (5.01.9674-1) installed in root is up to date.
Configuring softethervpn5-libs.
Creating hamcore.se2 archive...
//opt/lib/opkg/info/softethervpn5-libs.postinst: //opt/lib/opkg/info/softethervpn5-libs.postinst: 4: hamcorebuilder: not found
Collected errors:
 * pkg_run_script: package "softethervpn5-libs" postinst script returned status 127.
 * opkg_configure: softethervpn5-libs.postinst returned 127.

I found this:
https://gitlab.com/meta-layers/meta-resy/tree/master/recipes-connectivity/softether
https://blog.emptyq.net/a?ID=00004-200331f8-3413-4829-9ac3-f36efb0979ae
but I am not getting it.

Would you please navigate me.

Kind Regards.

P.S. appendix A may be updated with dropbearkey -t ed25519 -s 256 -f /tmp/ssh/dropbear_ed25519_host_key

postinst is trying to execute this command:
GCONV_PATH=/opt/lib/gconv hamcorebuilder /opt/libexec/softethervpn/hamcore /opt/libexec/softethervpn/hamcore.se2 && rm -fr /opt/libexec/softethervpn/hamcore

so the question is, does hamcorebuilder exist and is it in the path ??

postinst is trying to execute this command:
GCONV_PATH=/opt/lib/gconv hamcorebuilder /opt/libexec/softethervpn/hamcore /opt/libexec/softethervpn/hamcore.se2 && rm -fr /opt/libexec/softethervpn/hamcore

so the question is, does hamcorebuilder exist and is it in the path ??
hamcorebuilder: not found

/opt/bin/hamcorebuilder is in the .ipk -> so my guess is that /opt/bin is missing in your $PATH.

can you try this:
Code:
export PATH=/opt/bin:$PATH
and after that try to reinstall softethervpn5-libs ?

/opt/bin/hamcorebuilder is in the .ipk -> so my guess is that /opt/bin is missing in your $PATH.

can you try this:
Code:
export PATH=/opt/bin:$PATH
and after that try to reinstall softethervpn5-libs ?
Writing /opt/libexec/softethervpn/hamcore.se2...

Done.

I'm not at home so can't see the exact screens or wording.
Using the "grand access" of "block" buttons didn't work for me, but adding Mac addresses to the block or white list did the trick.

Hopefully it works also for you.

Ok, the bug is also in 1.0.2.87sf, I was thinking that my router had a problem. Thanks for reporting and I used the same trick that is working also on previous version of firmware.

BTW, thanks Voxel for the great job !

JC

Hi Voxel,

First off all hats off for pulling something like custom firmwares of on your own. I've had V1.0.2.77SF on my R7800 for 1 year+ without ever having any issue or reboot. After upgrading to V1.0.2.88SF (directly from the 77SF) i'm experiencing some crashes.

Rebooting the device is the only way to fix it. Everything goes completly down and the power led turns red. First i thought i was using to many connections in my torrenting software and simply overloading the router, but today it happend doing nothing but a netflix stream on my tv. So i quess it's once every 24 hour and not triggered by load. What could it be?

* I should probably give it a hard reset first, and see if the issue persists after doing that.

** It evens says i should do that in the only 2 sentence instructions, sorry for being noob. Done and it's probably fine now :) Will do a small donation for all your effort!

Last edited:
Many thanks @Voxel
Excellent job!
I have the issue that when i enable AP mode, the cpu load on the dnsmasq process increases and dnsmasq is using nearly 100% CPU.
Firmware: V1.0.2.88SF

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-09-19 001929.png
    Screenshot 2021-09-19 001929.png
    52.5 KB · Views: 154
  • Screenshot 2021-09-19 002158.png
    Screenshot 2021-09-19 002158.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 139
Hi Voxel,

First off all hats off for pulling something like custom firmwares of on your own. I've had V1.0.2.77SF on my R7800 for 1 year+ without ever having any issue or reboot. After upgrading to V1.0.2.88SF (directly from the 77SF) i'm experiencing some crashes.

Rebooting the device is the only way to fix it. Everything goes completly down and the power led turns red. First i thought i was using to many connections in my torrenting software and simply overloading the router, but today it happend doing nothing but a netflix stream on my tv. So i quess it's once every 24 hour and not triggered by load. What could it be?

* I should probably give it a hard reset first, and see if the issue persists after doing that.

** It evens says i should do that in the only 2 sentence instructions, sorry for being noob. Done and it's probably fine now :) Will do a small donation for all your effort!

Another reset today. So the hard reset after upgrade didn't fix it. Any thoughts? Also running AP mode. For now reverted back to the old 77 version :p

Last edited:
Another reset today. So the hard reset after upgrade didn't fix it. Any thoughts? Also running AP mode. For now reverted back to the old 77 version :p
Hello,
Maybe the jump from .77 to .88 is too big? How about upgrading version after version? How about you try to hard reset your 7800 and then upgrade to .78? If all goes fine, then .79? And slowly but surely, the other firmwares?

I've been having this same issue and it's driving me crazy, very hard to work from home with the internet dropping out 10+ times per day. Can you tell me which version you're using without a problem?

Thank you!

P.S. @Voxel I appreciate you!

Edit: I was having this restart issue regularly on the OEM firmware, multiple versions. I moved to Voxel V1.0.2.88SF and the issue continued. Hopefully this helps debug? Thanks in advance.

2nd Edit: Also, it seems to happen far more frequently under load. If we are concurrently using multiple services (MS Teams, Zoom, Netflix, Discord, HBO, Steam, etc.) it definitely hits us more frequently.

Last edited:
Question : _ what was the version of the firmware of your R7800 when you upgraded it with the the one from Mr Voxel?

I've been having this same issue and it's driving me crazy, very hard to work from home with the internet dropping out 10+ times per day. Can you tell me which version you're using without a problem?

Thank you!

P.S. @Voxel I appreciate you!

Edit: I was having this restart issue regularly on the OEM firmware, multiple versions. I moved to Voxel V1.0.2.88SF and the issue continued. Hopefully this helps debug? Thanks in advance.

2nd Edit: Also, it seems to happen far more frequently under load. If we are concurrently using multiple services (MS Teams, Zoom, Netflix, Discord, HBO, Steam, etc.) it definitely hits us more frequently.
I've reverted back to V1.0.2.77SF. Using it as acces point only. No problems now. So i recommend that one

1.0.2.88 works perfectly. I also disable every feature I don't need/want, so that may or may not be relevant.

1.0.2.88 works perfectly. I also disable every feature I don't need/want, so that may or may not be relevant.

Does it matter which firmware version I had before installing 1.0.2.88SF?

Last edited:
I've now confirmed that flashing to V1.0.2.77SF (and leaving everything default) did not work.

Does it matter which firmware version I had before installing 1.0.2.88SF?

It should not matter. However, if things don't seem to be working correctly, definitely reset the router and re-configure manually. If the problems continue, you may have bad hardware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!