What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.92SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
Continuation of

. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-90sf.76155/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-91sf-v-1-0-2-91-1sf.76803/

New version of my custom firmware build: 1.0.2.92SF.

Changes (vs 1.0.2.91.1SF):

1. Toolchain: binutils version is upgraded 2.37->2.38.
2. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.17.6->1.17.7.
3. Funjsq service is wiped out.
4. util-linux package is upgraded 2.37.2->2.37.4 (fixing CVE-2021-3995, CVE-2021-3996, CVE-2022-0563).
5. expat package is upgraded 2.4.3->2.4.4 (fixing CVE-2022-23852, CVE-2022-23990).
6. aws-iot: add possibility to disable Amazon Alexa (@NetBytes, @spocko):
nvram set noaws=1​
nvram commit​
reboot​
7. iptables: add patch to disable exit if no library for match (@HELLO_wORLD).
8. dnscrypt-proxy-2: change startup priority to 98 (@microchip).
9. unbound package (used in stubby) is upgraded 1.14.0->1.15.0.
10. libusb package is upgraded 1.0.24->1.0.25.
11. ethtool package is upgraded 5.15->5.16.
12. iperf3 package is upgraded 3.10.1->3.11.
13. libnetfilter_conntrack package is upgraded 1.0.8->1.0.9.
14. nano package is upgraded 6.0->6.2.
15. '-O3' optimization for part of drivers (kernel level).

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Voxel.

@Voxel

Just installed 92SF successfully (never a doubt). The only "issue" was a warning that an older firmware version was being installed. Ignored it.

Presuming you keep pushing out firmware updates for the 7800, I may pass on upgrading to Wifi 6 and wait for Wifi 7. o_O

Thanks!

Presuming you keep pushing out firmware updates for the 7800, I may pass on upgrading to Wifi 6 and wait for Wifi 7.
Very interesting note. You know, R7800 is true working horse. If I would change it to AX, so what the next? I have to change a lot of my clients, clients of my family (smartphones, TV, laptops etc). Plus I have to change my ISP plan to get more fast Internet. And anyway I cannot get more than 1Gb/sec because of WAN speed... About 4/5K of USD to change the router, clients ... and what I get? Interesting for me of course. But too high cost and too low profits.

Voxel.

Very interesting note. You know, R7800 is true working horse. If I would change it to AX, so what the next? I have to change a lot of my clients, clients of my family (smartphones, TV, laptops etc). Plus I have to change my ISP plan to get more fast Internet. And anyway I cannot get more than 1Gb/sec because of WAN speed... About 4/5K of USD to change the router, clients ... and what I get? Interesting for me of course. But too high cost and too low profits.

Voxel.
Agree! I have no clients that support Wifi 6 either. I'm very satisfied with my WLAN's latency and bandwidth. On top of that, I've extremely satisfied with my 7800's uptime and reliability.

As long you keep cranking out updates for the 7800, I'll keep upgrading the firmware.

Given its longevity, perhaps I'll leave my 7800 to a relative when I draft up my will or living trust. :eek:

Voxel.

None of my devices support AX yet, so I have no reason to upgrade to AX. Not that I needed more bandwidth anyway...
Thanks to you Voxel, I'll stick to my trusty R7800 for a couple more years! <3

Last edited:
upgraded to 92SF, running few days, random crash once on the first day, after than no crash or freeze.
Thank you Voxel
None of my devices support AX yet, so I have no reason to upgrade to AX. Not that I needed more bandwidth anyway...
Thanks to you Voxel, I'll stick to my trusty R7800 for a couple more years! <3
agree. if my r7800 is broken, i have no choice but to upgrade to wifi 6 router. Since local store don't sell r7800 anymore(However, RT-AC86U still available brand new and it cost $100+), buy second hand if lucky.
Still entire lower tier netgear wifi6 router is broadcom chipset only, voxel firmware is not supported.

upgraded to 92SF, running few days, random crash once on the first day, after than no crash or freeze.
Thank you Voxel

agree. if my r7800 is broken, i have no choice but to upgrade to wifi 6 router. Since local store don't sell r7800 anymore(However, RT-AC86U still available brand new and it cost $100+), buy second hand if lucky.
Still entire lower tier netgear wifi6 router is broadcom chipset only, voxel firmware is not supported.
No R7800 are available in stores anymore indeed. However, secondhand I can find the R7800 between 50 to 70 euros here in the Netherlands. Heck I'm even thinking about buying a second R7800 to replace my second router. That R6300v1 with official firmware has not been updated since 2017...

Last edited:
i upgraded to this when I switched back to using my r7800 as the main router for our home network. (and replaced the netgear dhcp server with entware dnsmasq which I was talking about in this other thread)
R7800-Voxel replacing stock DHCP or DNS or both? | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com)

anyway, it's been working well, thanks!

I've been having trouble setting up the openvpn server and connecting remotely. I don't think this is voxel's fault yet, just dealing with out of date netgear documentation.

Hi Voxel, I tried to install an old version of FW for r7800 to test, namely R7800-V1.0.2.61SF. But after r7800 restart, I can't use old password and id to login to r7800, so what is the solution here, please help me how to solve it. Thanks !

still loving my R7800 and voxel firmware made my wifi extremely solid since i installed it a few years ago.

i recently added a cisco 3750x switch and created some vlans, set up static routes on the R7800, and updated iptables on the netgear via telnet to get NAT working properly to access the internet. intervlan and other things works great.

my one issue is that iptables seems to randomly reset itself. i ran my commands manually and also added an /opt/scripts/firewall-start.sh replicating the commands. it seems iptables will reset to a state before my changes, but i can't figure out why. it seems plugging in a new device, or just a certain amount of time passing causes it to reset.

besides this, it's working great. super happy that this router works so well still.. what an investment as i've had it almost since release. eventually i will probably change out routers and just use this as an AP.

Hi Voxel, I tried to install an old version of FW for r7800 to test, namely R7800-V1.0.2.61SF. But after r7800 restart, I can't use old password and id to login to r7800, so what is the solution here, please help me how to solve it. Thanks !
NG method:

Hidden gem:
It will ask for security questions before letting you reset the password.

Last resort if you do not know answers to security questions:
Press the reset button at the back of router. Connect to the default network ssid mentioned at the back sticker of your router along with network key (password).
Then login to the admin UI using default user/pass which is also mentioned on the back sticker of your router (admin/password)

still loving my R7800 and voxel firmware made my wifi extremely solid since i installed it a few years ago.

i recently added a cisco 3750x switch and created some vlans, set up static routes on the R7800, and updated iptables on the netgear via telnet to get NAT working properly to access the internet. intervlan and other things works great.

my one issue is that iptables seems to randomly reset itself. i ran my commands manually and also added an /opt/scripts/firewall-start.sh replicating the commands. it seems iptables will reset to a state before my changes, but i can't figure out why. it seems plugging in a new device, or just a certain amount of time passing causes it to reset.

besides this, it's working great. super happy that this router works so well still.. what an investment as i've had it almost since release. eventually i will probably change out routers and just use this as an AP.

If you add iptable rules by running iptables cmds manually. They will reset to default NG rules after router reboot or internal firewall restart. You need to add your rules in shell script '/opt/scripts/firewall-start.sh'. Make sure the script is executable.

Create shell script firewall-start.sh with rules
chmod 0755 /opt/scripts/firewall-start.sh
/usr/sbin/net-wall rule
/usr/sbin/net-wall start

You are good till next firmware update, which you can automate with usb drive and post-mount.sh. (mentioned in voxel readme.doc)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!