What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

A bit less than your real speed. I.e. if you have 200Mbps just set as 190-196 or so.

It may also depends on your type of Internet service. I never attempted to implement any kind of QOS. However, I have had to implement speed limits in certain bandwidth hungry apps like torrent. With cable TV Internet, I do not need to place any kind of speed limits. However, these apps choke out all other network traffic when I use FIOS Internet unless I do. It does not matter the speed. I suspect the cable modem has some kind of QOS built in while the FIOS ONT does not. Note that I do NOT use the Verizon FIOS router at all, so I have no idea how that would affect my performance.

I did a speed test using the built in speed test tool and let it set the speed. Selected Dynamic QoS and let the router handle everything.

Working well for me and two game consoles.

On a side note, below 1gb, at what ISP download speeds would you recommend turning on QOS to see how things go?

In general even stock firmware should provide you the full speed. At least I saw the messages that it works with such speed, close to 1GB. Just make sure that QoS is off - you do not need it with such ISP speed. BTW: I assume wired connection. And maybe you should check your cables...

Regarding my build: you just should try. Nothing special even for newbie. Just download my latest build (1.0.2.46SF) and flash IMG from WebGUI. Revert back to stock: the same procedure (flashing from WebGUI IMG of stock FW).

My builds are here:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com

Voxel.

Hi:

Thanks so much for the reply. I followed the steps shown here: https://kmwoley.com/blog/bypassing-needless-centurylink-wireless-router-on-gigabit-fiber/

I have turned off QOS, Traffic Monitoring, etc. Did a hard reset and re-entered all PPPoE login information. What I don't understand is when I do a speedtest using Centurylink's internal test (on their help page), I get a full 940/940. But when I go outside to do the test (or use the router's speedtest on the QOS page), the speed drops to 550. Will try your firmware to see if that resolves the issue. BTW, according to DSLReports and the Netgear Nighthawk support forum, I am not the only one with this problem. Several people have pointed to PPPoE as the problem, but that doesn't make sense given my speed tests.

Have a great weekend!

P.

I was wondering at what speed people believe that the use of QOS is no longer necessary? For example, try QOS on connection of 500mbps and below, 300 and below, 200 and below? I know there are variables other than connection speed at play, but just wondering.

They STILL do PPPoE?! Verizon FIOS did away with that after the first couple years. I seem to tremember that the MTU has to be modified if you're using PPPoE. Your packets are probably fragmenting, which could be affecting performance. Have you tested this?

The MTU changed from 1500 to 1492 automatically. Yes, we are on PPPoE. But, until about a month ago the best we could get was 12 Mbps DSL. I watched with baited breath the fiber installers and was the first on our street to get the service. Is there another MTU setting I should try? Or, how do I ascertain packet fragmentation? I did just install Voxel's latest firmware. Unfortunately, when I run the router's internal speed test I still get 550 (but still get 940 when I use CL's speed test on their help page. However, with that being said, the connections "feel" faster. I still have QoS and traffic meter turned off. Does anybody have a link to a large download (with a speedy server) that I could do a realtime speed test on what I get for downloads?

Have a great weekend!

P.

Thanks so much for the link. Just ran through the Ping process as described there and changed the MTU to 1452. Rebooted the router. Will see if that makes any difference. How does one change the MTU on a PC or laptop in Win7?

Technically you shouldn't have to. Windows should automatically discover the right MTU and adjust accordingly. BTW, are you sure it's 1452 and not 1452 + 28 = 1480?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!