What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Regarding FTP downloader. If I am not mistaken, pyLoad provides the functionality you need. Plus other download possibilities. This application is often used by some NAS. It is available from Entware and has own WebGUI so could be used with my build. You can use google to check what it provides and to see how it looks (GUI). But initial installation should be performed from the command line (SSH or telnet). Then, use it from your browser (WebGUI). Full list of Entware packages:

http://ownweb.eu/Downloads/Entware/Entware-3x-Voxel/

Regarding video and understanding how to use my firmware. It is similar to the stock NETGEAR (GUI). So you can use your current R7000 with a stock fw to understand how to use it. Or check the manual of R7800:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7800/202-11596-03_R7800_UM_22Jan2016.pdf

Additional features and advantages of my build are described in my readme.docx

http://ownweb.eu/Downloads/

Voxel.

Last edited:
Regarding FTP downloader. If I am not mistaken, pyLoad provides the functionality you need. Plus other download possibilities. This application is often used by some NAS. It is available from Entware and has own WebGUI so could be used with my build. You can use google to check what it provides and to see how it looks (GUI). But initial installation should be performed from the command line (SSH or telnet). Then, use it from your browser (WebGUI).

BTW, as I found there is a tutorial here in this forum for pyLoad installation (from Entware):

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/tutorial-pyload-download-manager-through-entware.14890/

General understanding of installation procedure and how it looks.

Voxel.

Hi Voxel.

I need your help. I got my r7800 but it was installed with DDwrt. I cant revert to stock. It is not flashing the img extension. Guide me please

Why did it comes installed with DDWRT

What will i do if wifi doesnt work.

i tried tftp but flashing was interupted inbetween

Hi Voxel.

I need your help. I got my r7800 but it was installed with DDwrt. I cant revert to stock. It is not flashing the img extension. Guide me please

If your router has the Kong DD-WRT software installed, I believe you need to flash the "ddwrt-to-netgear-fw-R7800.bin" file" to revert back to the Netgear firmware. This file is found at the website below. Be sure to use the correct file for the R7800.

http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-IPQ806X/NetgearFW/

Yes the router was completely sealed. But it was a different seal. Box all packed one even outer box.

Ok i somehow managed to flash back to stock firmware and upgraded to latest firmware 1.2.28.

Now i dont know if its the router issue but i could not connect to internet. My fiber modem is working fine but i cant connect to internet

Also the internet led is amber and not white.

I do believe it could be authentication issue but it could also be router issue. i did 3 time reset after 2.28 firmware.

Yes the router was completely sealed. But it was a different seal. Box all packed one even outer box.

Ok i somehow managed to flash back to stock firmware and upgraded to latest firmware 1.2.28.

Now i dont know if its the router issue but i could not connect to internet. My fiber modem is working fine but i cant connect to internet

Also the internet led is amber and not white.

I do believe it could be authentication issue but it could also be router issue. i did 3 time reset after 2.28 firmware.

Stock firmware should start router setup wizard. After completion it will connect actually to Internet.

Voxel.

Yes i believe so but for past 4+ hrs stuck with no internet. But the modem is fine and voip working. I cant figure it out.

Have you set the R7800 in AP mode with connection to a LAN port from your ISP router?

Not a new unit! Every R7800 delivered new will have stock firmware on it, that's how they're shipped. Although I would assume that even a refurb should have stock firmware on it, so maybe it's probably a return or "open box". But something went awry there, and I'd make sure that the retailer (and Netgear, if the retailer won't give you satisfaction) know that routers are being shipped as new that aren't. In fact I'd take it back to wherever you bought it new, and get one that hasn't been put on dd-wrt firmware. At least there's a chance that a unit with stock firmware might be new *smile*.

It's pretty easy to take a return or an open box unit, put it in a new box, and shrink-wrap it.

Spent a bit of time and investment- and cafeole is damn fast... containers and all... and 1GB RAM/4GB eMMC isn't a lot to ask...

FYI... @Voxel - as per earlier discussions - one can over optimize.. compiler options might do good things to some parts, but generally...

Spent some time this afternoon with gcc.... interesting results between armv6/v7/v8 code on A53 - I do reference numbers here - these are all single threaded benchmarks on a53

The cafeole board - just consider that Marvell is a bit faster on the memory side...

Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 7.45.57 PM.png

Last edited:
I am trying to make it work. But problem now is not sure. WAN port LED is amber. But the IP is not getting from modem. I have to see if the existing router can assign ip.

As i have made it work with N900 centria without any issues.

i tried a lot WAN port is bad. Not even AP its working. it show amber but no sign of port working. Could that be bad flash . But router working fine via wireless and wired and gui

i tried a lot WAN port is bad. Not even AP its working. it show amber but no sign of port working. Could that be bad flash . But router working fine via wireless and wired and gui
Just take it back. It should not have come like this and its certainly not new if it came with third party firmware on it.

Did you unplug the modem for a bit then plug it back in? I have to do that with a new router every time.

Did you go back to stock first like this

1) erase nvram
2) use r7000-back-to-ofw.trx file and upgrade router via gui
3) log in to genie - login "empty", pass "admin"
4) restore default settings

FYI... @Voxel - as per earlier discussions - one can over optimize.. compiler options might do good things to some parts, but generally...

Spent some time this afternoon with gcc.... interesting results between armv6/v7/v8 code on A53 - I do reference numbers here - these are all single threaded benchmarks on a53

The cafeole board - just consider that Marvell is a bit faster on the memory side...

View attachment 9100

Interesting... Version of GCC is 4.9.x?

Voxel.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!