What's new

Custom firmware build for R9000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HW means hardware acceleration of OpenSSL. It means that some functions e.g. OpenVPN should work faster. I use HW version with my R9000.

Voxel.
Thank you. I just purchased a R9000 yesterday.
I'm coming from a asus and I had it loaded with merlin's firmware.

So far I'm liking this router. Feature wise there is more customization on the asus. But performance wise this thing is holding up to the 20 some connections I'm throwing at it with no problem. I have 3 sons all with different xboxes and phones and such. They also hand out our password like its candy so I'm constantly blocking and and changing stuff.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

@Voxel - thank you for making this firmware. I'm having a lot of stability problems with another custom firmware so I'm looking forward to trying something else. If I read you correctly it sounds like installation of the firmware is simple enough.. however what's the difference between the HF and HF-HW versions?

EDIT: I just read the difference above.. I'll try the HF-HW version.. thank you!

@Voxel Thank you for this firmware and hardwork!

I have installed your latest verison: V1.0.3.12HF-HW

However, I am experience 2 issues.

1. Plex does not seem to be working. When I click on open server, it just says
This site can’t be reached
192.168.1.1 refused to connect.

2. Readycloud always says the router is powered off.

Hope you can let me know how to fix these issues! Thank you

Voxel,

I just bought an R9000 and want to flash to your firmware. With that said, I don't see any specifics mentioned anywhere as to the requirements to do this.

I have read that your firmware is based on Genie and IS NOT DD-WRT, so does that mean all I have to do is grab the latest firmware and flash the router? Or do you have to use an "Initial" build as you do with DD-WRT?

Lastly, can you configure SNMP with your firmware? I have a device in my lab that I would like to use to poll SNMP from the R9000.

Kind regards,

Tom

Voxel,

Thank you my friend.

Can you answer this question too?

"I have read that your firmware is based on Genie and IS NOT DD-WRT, so does that mean all I have to do is grab the latest firmware and flash the router? Or do you have to use an "Initial" build as you do with DD-WRT?"

Appreciate it!

Tom

Yes, as I said nothing special, flash downloaded latest firmware. There is no any initial.

Voxel.

Yes, as I said nothing special, flash downloaded latest firmware. There is no any initial.

Voxel.

Thank you again.

I like your hardware accelerated features, going to flash with this.

Thanks!

PS, as an idea, you might want to start an officially supported version of your firmware where people simply pay a one time fee or something. I'd be interested.

PS, as an idea, you might want to start an officially supported version of your firmware where people simply pay a one time fee or something. I'd be interested.
I do provide some help (as much as I am able). I do not think that payed support would be interested for users ;). People prefer to get help for free and forums are exactly such place for sharing experience.

Voxel.

I am happy you like it. Unfortunately for me two new releases of stock fw 1.0.3.16 and 1.0.4.x... I have a job to do. Right after completion of first I discovered second...

Voxel.

Hi Voxel,

Im going to download it tonight for my R9000, Do i need any other tools/programs to run this setup ?

Do I just go to the current NG admin login and upload the file from your site and it should be fine .. ?

Do I just go to the current NG admin login and upload the file from your site and it should be fine .. ?
Yes, just unzip downloaded archive and use WebGUI to flash resulting IMG-file. No other tools/programs are needed.

Voxel.

Hi Voxel

First of all thank you so much for putting so much work into developing your router firmware, its simply amazing. Devoted people are true heroes :D.

Next I have a few questions regarding your firmware.

I would like to use third party firmware for my R9000 to get the best possible performance, stability and safety. I have now tried both your firmware HW and DD WRT Kong Build, and for some reasons I get much better wifi performance (better signale strength and transfer speed) when using the dd wrt kong build. In dd wrt you have a lot more options regarding wireless settings (channel width, frequiency, radio antenna strength/power, 20/40 mhz coexistence etc.). I really like your firmware because GUI is much nicer and it includes options for link aggregation, but I would really like more options regarding wireless settings. Do you think its possible to include more wireless options?

Regarding stability, safety and overall performance Im not sure which firmware to go with (your or dd wrt)? Right now Im using dd wrt purely because of better wifi performance.

Tank you again for your work and time

Regards

Martin

Hi,

It's up to you re what firmware to use. It is not correct question to me: what fw is better. I prefer mine ;-) And I never tried DD-WRT for R9000.

R9000 is now my main router. It is very stable (last uptime was about 40 days) and I am absolutely satisfied by its speed and the level of signal. I've got several feedbacks that signal is very good. I.e. not less than R7800.
BTW you are the first who like GUI in my version and dislike the speed of. Usually I have vice versa feedbacks... I use proprietary drivers from QCA (as in the stock), so it means speed first of all.

Voxel.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!