What's new

Custom firmware build for R9000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

One problem is that you are running 2 clients at the same time...
I have seen this many times. I reported it to Voxel long time ago. ;-)
Yeah... Thanks for reminding. This patch (two clients) was included into firmware for R7800, but was not into firmware for R9000. OK, I've added it in my 2do for R9000. So in the next release.

Voxel.

Voxel, did your 1.0.4.44 release include updated Atheros drivers? I was having a problem connecting a new device (a Lenovo Tab 4 10" Plus) to the 5GHz network with the previous version, but after installing your latest the problem has disappeared.

Voxel, did your 1.0.4.44 release include updated Atheros drivers? I was having a problem connecting a new device (a Lenovo Tab 4 10" Plus) to the 5GHz network with the previous version, but after installing your latest the problem has disappeared.

Yes, they were upgraded. User xnsys from official NG forum contacted me with request to use some special beta version in my build (it is more stable in W-Fi connection according to his tests).

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Ni...fi-dropouts/m-p/1594907/highlight/true#M97111

Voxel.

thanks for this, any other improvements ?

Hey thanks.
Btw FYI the R7800 device name bug still there, can't see the names. Just ip is shown.

Thanks

Btw FYI the R7800 device name bug still there, can't see the names. Just ip is shown.
Hmm... Are you sure? I can see all device names. Starting from Windows names and up to AppleWatch, Linux, Android phone, iPhones etc. I know the problem of R7800. It is reproducible, the only IP. But I do not see any problems with R9000.

Voxel.

Others have mentioned, and I've seen it on other NG forum posts, that their wifi radios will randomly reset. I've been having this problem and it is really making me question the quality of the R9000. I almost seem to have gotten better wifi coverage (both distance from router and speed) and stability from my original R7000 (the original nighthawk) that I replaced. The R7000 just couldn't handle the gigabit WAN speed I have now.

To attempt to fix or debug the issue, I installed DD-WRT but had to revert due to Bonjour/mdnsresponder not working well with Airprint. I then installed the latest Voxel firmware (thanks Voxel, it looks pretty good so far). My question is, what's the best way to go about debugging wifi radio issues? I'm somewhat familiar with Linux and kernel debugging, but was hoping for a good place to start.

I'm really hoping this issue gets fixed as I really don't have to replace this router as I just purchased it in April.

Thanks for all of your work Voxel! It makes me want to dig in and help out with the dev work. Do you have a running task/bug list somewhere?

My question is, what's the best way to go about debugging wifi radio issues? I'm somewhat familiar with Linux and kernel debugging, but was hoping for a good place to start.
It is interesting. Yes, I was informed about radio issues:

User xnsys from official NG forum

But I've tested R9000 during 52 hours with 1.0.4.4HF-HW and there were no Wi-Fi dropouts. I cannot check longer, you know, my wife pushes me to set up Wi-Fi off scheduling during night. She want to sleep when no any radios around. Girls... So these 52 hours were as an exception but really there were no dropouts. Also later I started very very long backups over Wi-Fi to USB attached to R9000 by samba. 14 hours or so. They were completed. Do you have dropouts with 1.0.4.4? And BTW do you have the problem with attached device names?

My opinion is that R9000 is very stable and I really do not have any problems with it (my build of course). No replacement.

Do you have a running task/bug list somewhere?

I wrote somewhere that I do not maintain bug list of NG anymore. Well, here:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...-0-2-53sf-kf-updated.46941/page-2#post-411973

And I try to avoid inclusion of new bugs from NG. My bugs I usually correct. Adding into my 2do list.

Voxel.

Hmm... Are you sure? I can see all device names. Starting from Windows names and up to AppleWatch, Linux, Android phone, iPhones etc. I know the problem of R7800. It is reproducible, the only IP. But I do not see any problems with R9000.

Voxel.

Only happening for the R7800.

It is interesting. Yes, I was informed about radio issues:

But I've tested R9000 during 52 hours with 1.0.4.4HF-HW and there were no Wi-Fi dropouts. I cannot check longer, you know, my wife pushes me to set up Wi-Fi off scheduling during night. She want to sleep when no any radios around. Girls... So these 52 hours were as an exception but really there were no dropouts. Also later I started very very long backups over Wi-Fi to USB attached to R9000 by samba. 14 hours or so. They were completed. Do you have dropouts with 1.0.4.4? And BTW do you have the problem with attached device names?

I've had some problems with attached device names but I think that is due to the devices themselves not reporting things properly.

The drop outs I've seen were on the latest stock firmware and it seemed to occur at a pretty decent distant from the router (2 floors difference) and when the family is all on their devices from that room. It may have to do with load.

I'm also using the same SSID for both 2.4 and 5 ghz, so that could be part of the issue as well. But when I open up the status window, I can tell the radios have actually went down and restarted. It's strange. I never had this issue at all with the R7000. It was pretty rock solid, even from a much greater distance.

The drop outs I've seen were on the latest stock firmware and it seemed to occur at a pretty decent distant from the router (2 floors difference) and when the family is all on their devices from that room. It may have to do with load.

I'm also using the same SSID for both 2.4 and 5 ghz, so that could be part of the issue as well. But when I open up the status window, I can tell the radios have actually went down and restarted. It's strange. I never had this issue at all with the R7000. It was pretty rock solid, even from a much greater distance.
I know that problem with a stock firmware. But I had in my mind my build 1.0.4.4HF-HW. According to my tests and tests of others it has no dropouts. At least 52 hours ;-)

Voxel.

Voxel,

It looks like they reset again (I have your latest installed). I'll keep my eye on them, but this is even on a low load. The main systems I use for work are using eth0 directly, so I didn't even notice the reset. No one else is at the house to put load on the system either.

I do have a TV with chrome cast integrated in it and I read about them doing bad things to networks while in sleep mode. Think that could be the culprit? At the very least, though, it shouldn't cause the radios to reset and not on both bands right?

upload_2018-7-24_22-0-42.png

Anything I can do to help debug?

I do have a TV with chrome cast integrated in it and I read about them doing bad things to networks while in sleep mode. Think that could be the culprit? At the very least, though, it shouldn't cause the radios to reset and not on both bands right?
I do not think that your TV could be the reason. Well. I do not know. Currently no dropouts with my R9000 (since it was enabled by schedule at 07:00am). I am not sure. If there are such problems IMO it is inside QCA firmware. I do not think you (or me) can debug it. It is proprietary firmware w/o sources etc....

Voxel.

I see different versions like HF or HF-HW

How do I know which one I need for my router?

I am looking forward to this firmware. But I can't seem to install it. I posted on the NG forum and I was told this would be the better place. I have also posted on MOR- I've been a member for years...

Anyways, when I try to install the R9000-V1.0.4.5HF-HW to my X10, it times out and the connection resets. Sometimes, it will partially upload, maybe 10% or so and then it drops. I've rebooted the X10 and my CM1000 modem. Any thoughts?

Anyways, when I try to install the R9000-V1.0.4.5HF-HW to my X10, it times out and the connection resets. Sometimes, it will partially upload, maybe 10% or so and then it drops. I've rebooted the X10 and my CM1000 modem. Any thoughts?

Try another web-browser, and off the anti-virus.
(I take for granted you downloaded the file from Voxel download, and unzipped it without errors.)
What is your current firmware?

I've tried turning off AV/Firewall and using multiple browsers.
My current firmware is stock 1.0.4.2.
Set the router in Router mode (Not AP or so).
Switch off the WiFi and Connect your computer with a cable directly to LAN port 1.
Disconnect WAN (cable to modem) and all other LAN and USB cables.
Then reset the R9000, logon and try again.
Also please take screen shots to show what you mean with "times out" and "connection resets" and ""it drops".

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!