What's new

Custom firmware build for R9000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Been running it for a few days now and everything working fine. Will try VPN client at later time.

Maybe this is a bug with the firmware...

On the stock netgear firmware, ipv6 dns doesn't work correctly. it doesn't pass the specified google ipv6 dns address to devices. in order to get it to work, all my devices require me to manually input google dns addresses. after doing this, it works perfect.

on the new voxel firmware, with everything else the same (client devices have a manually entered google dns), my devices prefer ipv4 over ipv6. on the ipv6 test websites, they always say that my browser prefers ipv4 and is avoiding using ipv6.

is it possible to fix this? is this a firmware issue? also, is there a way to fix netgears implementation of ipv6 so that client machines correctly received the google dns address that I specify in the firmware?

It is hard to say what is a reason... Anyway, I did not touch anything related to ipv6 in the codes of a stock firmware.

Regarding fixing. Most probably it would require some modification of the kernel source codes, but I prefer to avoid such modification. GPL codes from NETGEAR consist of real source codes (programs, packages, scripts) but some parts are distributed in enclosed binary form, i.e. they are already compiled by NETGEAR (security reasons or "know-how"). And I cannot modify such binaries. Part of such enclosed component are kernel objects created especially for concrete version of kernel. So if I would change the kernel itself, there could be significant problems with such components, such as failed load of binary kernel object. So it would lead to "bricked" router. I have some limitations in my development because of this. So, sorry, I do not promise.

Voxel.

You have to download it and install it manualy.
i will it installed. i have download the file. then wenn the firmware is of my router can i this software updatet?. the original netgear can i updatet. sorry for my english.

i will it installed. i have download the file. then wenn the firmware is of my router can i this software updatet?. the original netgear can i updatet. sorry for my english.

WebGUI:
ERWEITERT->Administration->Firmware-Update->Durchsuchen
(Auf der Festplatte gespeicherte Aktualisierungsdatei auswählen.)

Sorry for my German ;).

Voxel.

haha. wie ich die die sofware aktualisiere weis ich doch. ich würde gerne wissen ob ich auch online updates erhalte ?

Excusez-moi, Entschuldigung, 失礼しました, Извините, Sorry: but only manual update from disk.

Voxel.

Hi all,
I Have just bought an R9000 and Im trying to figure out which other FW to use that are not stock as I would love to use OpenVPN client functionality within the router.

So some questions:

Is there an easy configuration within Voxels GUI that I can use to configure VPN client functionality as it is in Kongs DD-WRT version? Im "only" having 100/100 MB internet connection and Ive read that Kongs version does not work better/or something like that with 1000 MB internet connection, is that true?

My priority is internet speed and OpenVPN client configuration within the routers GUI,
should I use Kongs version or Voxels version?

Does it really work to revert to original stock fw? Ive read that there can be problems, is that correct?

Have someone tested the OpenVPN client speed?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
You rocks!!

I flashed this firmware without any problems.
Everything works fine, include QOS and Link Aggregation!
Thank you so much!

How about smart connect (same WIFI SSID)?
Can you let this missing feature come back to the R9000?
I will be very thankful......

You rocks!!

I flashed this firmware without any problems.
Everything works fine, include QOS and Link Aggregation!
Thank you so much!

Thanks for test and reply.

How about smart connect (same WIFI SSID)?
Can you let this missing feature come back to the R9000?
I will be very thankful......

Please clarify a bit, what is it. I do not see problems to set the same SSID for 2.4 and for 5GHz at the same time. I do not like such mix, but anyway.

Voxel.

Hi, I haven't installed this yet because I was wondering if this custom firmware keeps the Plex feature of the stock firmware?

Also, if I decide I would like to go back to stock firmware, is it as simple as downloading and manually reverted back?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I haven't installed this yet because I was wondering if this custom firmware keeps the Plex feature of the stock firmware?

Yes, sure.

Also, if I decide I would like to go back to stock firmware, is it as simple as downloading and manually reverted back?

Yes, of course.

:)

Well. Just imagine (at present) that it is improved stock firmware. Netgear's stock externally (WebGUI), but latest LEDE/OpenWRT internally. Plus some add-ons.

Voxel.

Voxel,
I am using my R9000 with Centurylink Fiber 1Gig speed will I be able to Tag the Wan port with 201? I can do it now but the way it works now you are tagging all the lan ports realy and the MTU can not go past 1484 so I am loosing speed. I have mine sitting on a real nice laptop cooler with fans and the usb plug pluged into my ups the thing is super cool. I am setting it up again for the thrird time with the techs on the phone but I am downloading your firmware and saving you under my favorites.nce loaded I will give you updates.
TheBoatswain
Thanks a bunch!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!