What's new

Custom firmware build for R9000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Does anybody have access to DFS channels on the r9000?

On stock firmware and this, I have no DFS. Only way I see DFS is on DDWRT.

Thanks for test and reply.

Please clarify a bit, what is it. I do not see problems to set the same SSID for 2.4 and for 5GHz at the same time. I do not like such mix, but anyway.

Voxel.

1.After two days testing,I found the QoS still has the same problems !
If turn it on....the R9000 will drop all networks or randomly reboots.
Just the same with the stock firmware.

2.Smart connect......
I don't know if this is just a marketing for a product.
Or I can just manual input the same ssid to the wifi setup without any unexpected results???

R8000_Smart_Connect3.png.jpg

20120773_1610384108979887_752931801_n.png

No DFS channels on Voxel's build.

Voxel, is this something you can add?

Cheers

I wonder why the r7800 has DFS and the r9000 doesn’t.

I remember netgear advertising that the r9000 had additional DFS channels.

1.After two days testing,I found the QoS still has the same problems !

2.Smart connect......
I don't know if this is just a marketing for a product.
Or I can just manual input the same ssid to the wifi setup without any unexpected results???

View attachment 9909

View attachment 9910

Downside of smart connect is sometimes it will switch to 2.4Ghz instead of 5Ghz and if you're doing a large LAN transfer, 2.4 Ghz is very slow. That's why I keep 2.4/5Ghz ids seperate. I mean if signal is too low your client device will switch by itself to the other band anyway so why do you need smart connect?

Voxel,
No issues with the firmware but the hardware is a problem. No matter what I do the speeds with or with out are very disappointing. From 50 up 700 up and 70 to 650 max up. I used the Centruylink modem in dridge mode to but no matter what the Centruylink router wired and the Asus Rt-3500 935 up and down are way better. As for Wifi my old Asus RT-AC66u is way better. I have tried three nighthawks the x4, x8, and now the x10. I am thinking of using Asus rat-88u or the GT-3500.

Voxel,
No issues with the firmware but the hardware is a problem. No matter what I do the speeds with or with out are very disappointing. From 50 up 700 up and 70 to 650 max up. I used the Centruylink modem in dridge mode to but no matter what the Centruylink router wired and the Asus Rt-3500 935 up and down are way better. As for Wifi my old Asus RT-AC66u is way better. I have tried three nighthawks the x4, x8, and now the x10. I am thinking of using Asus rat-88u or the GT-3500.

I see. OK, it is your choice.

Voxel.

By unclear reason DFS is disabled in GUI. Maybe it is just a bug. But maybe problems in drivers.

I can enable it (to allow selection from GUI). Somebody wants to test?

Voxel.

.After two days testing,I found the QoS still has the same problems !

You know, it is my first build for R9000. To check that all functionality from stock firmware will be available here too, when I upgraded more that 60 per cents of packages, used another toolchain and host tools. So (most probably) problems in stock will be here too ;). I do correction of bugs I meet. But not all (yet). QoS from TM is used "as is".

Voxel.

Installed it. Only DFS channels that come up are:
52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112.

The r7800 has much more than that. I selected 64 and hit apply. It automatically changed to Auto. Btw- I don’t recall seeing Auto there before but now it is.

Check the FCC site, unlike the R7800, I didn't see a new update filing for the R9000 for DFS, unless I missed it. If they did get approval recently, maybe it will show up in the next update. That could be why it's not letting you use DFS, it's not a GUI issue, that's my guess. PY3 is the Netgear company ID for FCC searches by the way, also use a date range like a few months between 2016-2017 etc, so you don't get swamped by like a 1000 products.

Why does DFS work on DDWRT?

You said it's not showing in stock right? DD-WRT isn't stock. They could be using pci cal data from the R7800 or another QCA9984 unit to enable it, just a guess. In DD-WRT is it stable, because last I heard the Ath10K firmware in DD-WRT is unstable under heavy load, only in LEDE (OpenWRT) is it stable.

Last edited:
May I ask what exactly is this FW build on? Is it some Asus fork (like Vortex for R7000), DD-WRT fork or it is based on original FW?

Can the TX Values be increased from stock? I believe the FCC has locked that down. I'm on the Asus AC5300 with TX values modified but also have the netgear x10 in my toy box for playing around. I gave up on netgear as the vlan id would not work stable with ddwrt and the vpn speeds wouldn't stay stable on ddwrt. Now with stock its a whole new game.

Can someone confirm the TX Values adjustment?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!