What's new

Custom firmware build for R9000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OK, try it (1.0.2.34HF):

http://ownweb.eu/Downloads/Voxel/html/r9000.html

Please let me know results of testing DFS.

Voxel.
Just wanted to share my DFS experience... janthony6 left me a comment over on the Netgear Community Forum about the Voxel Firmware. Prior to this Netgear had sent me their beta firmware to enable DFS.

Like janthony6, I was able to use it in DDWRT without a hitch but it doesn't work with Netgear or Voxel's firmware. When enabling a DFS channel it will briefly broadcast on that channel for about 3 seconds, then the 5ghz side stops and doesn't broadcast. In the GUI the channel changes to "Auto" instead of a channel number.

So... that's where we are so far.

Just wanted to share my DFS experience... janthony6 left me a comment over on the Netgear Community Forum about the Voxel Firmware. Prior to this Netgear had sent me their beta firmware to enable DFS.

Like janthony6, I was able to use it in DDWRT without a hitch but it doesn't work with Netgear or Voxel's firmware. When enabling a DFS channel it will briefly broadcast on that channel for about 3 seconds, then the 5ghz side stops and doesn't broadcast. In the GUI the channel changes to "Auto" instead of a channel number.

So... that's where we are so far.

Did Netgear’s beta firmware work with enabling DFS?

If so, maybe Voxel can use that one to get it working....

Did Netgear’s beta firmware work with enabling DFS?

If so, maybe Voxel can use that one to get it working....
Oh, sorry. Think I mentioned that over on the Netgear forum. Neither worked. Both had the same result to using a DFS channel.

I've got info in my GUI that new firmware from NETGEAR is available (1.0.2.40). Maybe DFS is enabled it this version. If so, I'll include into my next release.

Voxel.

Release Notes:
[Bug Fix] Enhances the ECC algorithm for better NAND flash management. [Bug Fix] Fixes security vulnerability issues.

I've got info in my GUI that new firmware from NETGEAR is available (1.0.2.40). Maybe DFS is enabled it this version. If so, I'll include into my next release.

Voxel.
The beta that they provided me was 1.0.2.104.

Release notes on the one you saw are:
[Bug Fix] Enhances the ECC algorithm for better NAND flash management. [Bug Fix] Fixes security vulnerability issues.

Voxel.

Looking forward to the new version.

From my testing, my R7800 gets faster wifi speeds on 5ghz than my r9000. The 7800 is using DFS channels though and the r9000 is using the top 4 and bottom 4 channels.

Can i download the new firmware from r9000 ?

I did not quite understand your question. Of course you can install 1.0.2.40 from WebGUI of your router to have stock firmware. My build with integration of 1.0.2.40 changes is not ready yet.

Stock 1.0.2.40 is not yet available for download from NETGEAR's site...

Voxel.

Hey Voxel - when are you planning on releasing the new build? I see you’re working on more optimization’s too.

Hi janthony6,

I plan to do that after NETGEAR will put their GPL for downloading. It has no sense to release w/o integration with last stock changes, right? I intended to release it today/tomorrow, but this yesterday's message in WebGUI that "New formware is available"...

Voxel.

Hi janthony6,

I plan to do that after NETGEAR will put their GPL for downloading. It has no sense to release w/o integration with last stock changes, right? I intended to release it today/tomorrow, but this yesterday's message in WebGUI that "New formware is available"...

Voxel.

@NETGEAR Guy

I assume CPU performance is close to the R7800 for VPN as its single threaded from what I was told by some devs.

Looking forward to the new version.

From my testing, my R7800 gets faster wifi speeds on 5ghz than my r9000. The 7800 is using DFS channels though and the r9000 is using the top 4 and bottom 4 channels.

I think other reviews also show the same in terms of 5Ghz performance and I mentioned it to Netgear during beta testing.

I assume CPU performance is close to the R7800 for VPN as its single threaded from what I was told by some devs.

But for R9000 OpenSSL hardware acceleration is enabled. So, with the same CPU load for single thread it works faster...

Voxel.

Good results. Are you sure that you are using OpenVPN :)?

Voxel.

Indeed. I'm in Houston, TX and I verified my IP address was in Dallas, TX. I was connecting to the Private Internet Access servers in Dallas. I also connected to the PIA servers in Chicago. My results were slightly slower, but only about ~5Mbps down/~2Mbps up. Understandable for that distance.

Indeed. I'm in Houston, TX and I verified my IP address was in Dallas, TX. I was connecting to the Private Internet Access servers in Dallas. I also connected to the PIA servers in Chicago. My results were slightly slower, but only about ~5Mbps down/~2Mbps up. Understandable for that distance.

OK, thanks for testing.

Voxel.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!