What's new

Custom firmware build for R9000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Any chance you will make a custom firmware for netgear nighthawk x8 r8500

Sorry, I am not sure. It is not so interesting for me. Broadcom with their SDK and 2.6.x kernel. Too closed. And moreover I do not have it.

Also, all this takes a lot of time from me, practically all free time, w/o any profits, but I have to earn money (my main job). R7500/R7800/R9000 have almost the same scheme for firmware building (OpenWRT-like). R8500 - other scheme. I am not sure that I can find enough time to maintain different scheme. Orbi - maybe. Broadcom's routers - rather no.

Voxel.

Sorry, I am not sure. It is not so interesting for me. Broadcom with their SDK and 2.6.x kernel. Too closed. And moreover I do not have it.

Also, all this takes a lot of time from me, practically all free time, w/o any profits, but I have to earn money (my main job). R7500/R7800/R9000 have almost the same scheme for firmware building (OpenWRT-like). R8500 - other scheme. I am not sure that I can find enough time to maintain different scheme. Orbi - maybe. Broadcom's routers - rather no.

Voxel.

Orbi +1 !!!!

Info about my progress with OpenVPN speed for the Netgear Router R7800.

Now after Voxel's fantastic work with getting HW-support, it is maybe not so interesting for R9000,
but for R7800 it is still a good improvement.

This is done by modifying the *.ovpn file that contains all settings for the openVPN client.
With a few changes I increased my download speed with around 50%:
From 44 Mbit/s to 67 Mbit/s.

Results are depending on your ISP/vpn-provider, but some parameters depend on the router.

If you want to fast ping and reaction times (gaming...), rather than highest possible bandwidth,
I suggest you try to minimize BufferBloat instead of maximizing top speed.
A good site to check both BufferBloat and Speed is:
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

Before these changes, my maximum download speed was: 4364.11 kB/s

This setting gave me the best Speed: 6743.00 kB/s, and an acceptable BufferBloat: ABA+
fast-io
nice -20
sndbuf 393216
rcvbuf 393216
push "sndbuf 393216"
push "rcvbuf 393216"
tun-mtu 1500
mssfix 1460

This setting gave me the best Speed: 6516.36 kB/s, and a good BufferBloat: A+AA+
fast-io
nice -20
sndbuf 393216
rcvbuf 393216
push "sndbuf 393216"
push "rcvbuf 393216"
tun-mtu 1500
tun-mtu-extra 32
mssfix 1450

Please share your settings and results!

Wait for release (with integrated 1.0.2.40 stock changes). I'll unlock them in GUI. But I do not promise they will be working.

Voxel.
So I can confirm that DFS is still broken as it was with the original Netgear .40 and the Netgear beta firmware.

Another weird issue is that I can't get FTP access using the Voxel firmware anymore. It worked fine using Netgears but when our webserver tries to FTP back to my router to drop off our nightly backup, I'm getting this FTP error:

Error: Unable to operate the storage: Transport error: Unable to create the directory 'ftp://XXX/shares/ThunderBolt/VPS/check0/': Curl error: (21) Quote command returned error: Last FTP request: MKD check0 Last FTP response: 550 check0: Operation not permitted
Check that you have permissions to create folders in the storage. You can check it independently with the command:
curl --ftp-create-dirs -v --ftp-pasv -u admin ftp://XXX/shares/ThunderBolt/VPS//test-dir/

Another weird issue is that I can't get FTP access using the Voxel firmware anymore. It worked fine using Netgears but when our webserver tries to FTP back to my router to drop off our nightly backup, I'm getting this FTP error:

Error: Unable to operate the storage: Transport error: Unable to create the directory 'ftp://XXX/shares/ThunderBolt/VPS/check0/': Curl error: (21) Quote command returned error: Last FTP request: MKD check0 Last FTP response: 550 check0: Operation not permitted
Check that you have permissions to create folders in the storage. You can check it independently with the command:
curl --ftp-create-dirs -v --ftp-pasv -u admin ftp://XXX/shares/ThunderBolt/VPS//test-dir/

It does not mean that FTP does not work. It does mean that you have no permissions, curl absolutely clearly displays you corresponding message, right? ;)

See my readme. It contains note that NG developers patched codes of Linux kernel in the stock firmware adding 777 mode for all files and directories on your USB drive. I removed this 777 permissions patch because it is against Linux ideology (and against my common sense) and does not allow to use Entware or Debian on router with such absense of restrictions: everything is allowed for everybody.

Just use "chmod -R 777" or "chown -r admin" for your directories for FTP directories you need. It is normal Linux now.

Voxel.

Hello
I apologize but I am a total beginner and would like some help to run Private Internet Access client on my newly purchased R9000. I have come so far that I have installed the latest firmware V1.0.2.43HF-HW. I need help to create .ovpn config file. I tried to follow voxel's instruction without success. I'm totally technically useless and prefer to copy and paste method. Hope someone can help me. Greetings from Sweden

Sorry for the crosspost, I realized I was in the wrong thread for my router earlier.

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me. I would like to ssh into the router but am unsure how to go about the following:

First, I do not see setssh.tar anywhere on the ftp/file host site. Secondly, I haven't the foggiest about generating the keys that Voxel refers to in his readme.

If anyone could offer some assistance or guidance it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

J

Hello
I apologize but I am a total beginner and would like some help to run Private Internet Access client on my newly purchased R9000. I have come so far that I have installed the latest firmware V1.0.2.43HF-HW. I need help to create .ovpn config file. I tried to follow voxel's instruction without success. I'm totally technically useless and prefer to copy and paste method. Hope someone can help me. Greetings from Sweden
Sorry I did not quite understand what you need. If you wish to setup OpenVPN client to your router then your VPN provider should provide you proper ovpn config file.

If you want to use your router as OpenVPN server, then there is ready to download ovpn file in WebGUI page, where you turn server on.

Voxel.

Sorry for the crosspost, I realized I was in the wrong thread for my router earlier.

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me. I would like to ssh into the router but am unsure how to go about the following:

First, I do not see setssh.tar anywhere on the ftp/file host site. Secondly, I haven't the foggiest about generating the keys that Voxel refers to in his readme.

If anyone could offer some assistance or guidance it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

J
setssh: try to press BROWSE button on my site.

Keys generation: there are a lot of instructions in Internet. There is some instructions from Eliz82 in myopentouter forum, my thread for R7800 re: how to do it with putty. Try to use PM to Eliz82. I am sorry, I am using phone now to type, so difficult for me to point concrete links.

Voxel.

Sorry I did not quite understand what you need. If you wish to setup OpenVPN client to your router then your VPN provider should provide you proper ovpn config file.

If you want to use your router as OpenVPN server, then there is ready to download ovpn file in WebGUI page, where you turn server on.

Voxel.
Hello
If I have understood correctly, I have to create a folder on usb called "openvpn client". In this folder, I have to add .ovpn config file from pia. Unfortunately, I do not know how to embed CA / CERT / KEY into my * .ovpn file. and my question is where do I put username and password.

My config file looks a bit different.

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote sweden.privateinternetaccess.com 1198
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
cipher aes-128-cbc
auth sha1
tls-client
remote-cert-tls server
auth-user-pass
comp-lzo
verb 1
reneg-sec 0
crl-verify crl.rsa.2048.pem
ca ca.rsa.2048.crt
disable-occ
You have to correct your ovpn adding absolute path to CRT and PEM files e.g.
ca /etc/openvpn/config/client/ca.rsa.2048.crt

The same for pem. See my readme.

Regarding user and pass it is written in instructions myopenrouter, right?

And do not forget to put these CA and PEM files to USB flash, the same folder where ovpn.

Voxel.

You have to correct your ovpn adding absolute path to CRT and PEM files e.g.

The same for pem. See my readme.

Regarding user and pass it is written in instructions myopenrouter, right?

And do not forget to put these CA and PEM files to USB flash, the same folder where ovpn.

Voxel.
Like this?

client
dev tun
proto udp
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
cipher aes-128-cbc
auth sha1
tls-client
remote-cert-tls server
auth-user-pass /etc/openvpn/config/client/auth.txt
comp-lzo
verb 1
reneg-sec 0
crl-verify /etc/openvpn/config/client/crl.rsa.2048.pem
disable-occ

Attachments

• Sweden.txt
    395 bytes · Views: 357
Like this?

client
dev tun
proto udp
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
cipher aes-128-cbc
auth sha1
tls-client
remote-cert-tls server
auth-user-pass /etc/openvpn/config/client/auth.txt
comp-lzo
verb 1
reneg-sec 0
crl-verify /etc/openvpn/config/client/crl.rsa.2048.pem
disable-occ
Yes, looks good. Just try and do not forget to copy your additional files: CRT PEM TXT

Voxel.

Yes, looks good. Just try and do not forget to copy your additional files: CRT PEM TXT

Voxel.

Hello
When i restarted the router with the USB stick, I got a new ip number, but it's still ip from my ip provider. I tried to change from sweden.privateinternetaccess.com to us-newyorkcity.privateinternetaccess.com
just to see if the IP number changes, but it does not.
Can i see that openvpn client is active in routers gui?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!