What's new

Cutting the cord with cable company

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

d_v_us

Regular Contributor
Fed up!!!!.....can anyone tell me if they have a certain cable company that begins with the letter "F" in the U.S. and how they went about getting a compatible cable modem that worked with their own asus wifi router. Tired of renting equipment when I can do it myself!!...being told with this particular company....that type of solution isnt available....even though I'm only getting my internet service from them!!!

Purchased an Arris SB8200 and thought I was gold and it wouldnt work...

No internet, no nothing? Seems like if you have internet you are all set. We do this at 2 different addresses without difficulty, neither provider begins with an F though. Maybe the modem is bad. Did you contact the cable company with the mac address and serial info?

Ur right?..maybe its bricked outta the box....will be returning it tomorrow and getting two different brands and testing those was well. Probably pick up a Motorola and Netgear one....still pissed off they saying its not possible. Yep....I initially gave them MAC address and serial though.

Ur right?..maybe its bricked outta the box....will be returning it tomorrow and getting two different brands and testing those was well. Probably pick up a Motorola and Netgear one....still pissed off they saying its not possible. Yep....I initially gave them MAC address and serial though.
My Cable company (C.x) publishes on its website the manufacturer/model Docsis modems that are compatible and supported on their network. I purchased one and then went online in my account to register the new modem. Until the modem is registered on a valid account, the network won't initialize it and allow it to communicate. this prevents theft of equipment and network services. After registering the new modem and getting things working, I returned the "rented" modem.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!