What's new

Cutting TV Cord w. VZ but only have Coax in House - which MoCa Adapter?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

make sure you terminate any unused coax connections with 75 ohm caps, either at the bidirectional splitter or at the end termination of the cable at the wall plate. Otherwise, you can have moca issues.

make sure you terminate any unused coax connections with 75 ohm caps, either at the bidirectional splitter or at the end termination of the cable at the wall plate. Otherwise, you can have moca issues.
Thanks for the tip.

All coax cable will still be attached to that splitter in post 25 by krkaufman:
upload_2019-2-5_13-46-44-png.16145

They will remain connected to wall plates in 3 of the 4 locations with the last one planned to be connected to the new MoCA adapter & WiFi router. So capping the other 3 inside the house is still needed even if they aren't used?

Last edited:
They will remain connected to wall plates in 3 of the 4 locations with the last one planned to be connected to the new MoCA adapter & WiFi router. So capping the other 3 inside the house is still needed even if they aren't used?
It’s recommended.

You’d want to cap any unused ports or coax runs that are still connected to the coax plant — like those locations where you want the flexibility to put a Mini.

You can just install a terminator at the coax wall outlet, or use a barrel connector, if needed, to terminate the coax line awaiting the Mini.

It’s recommended.

You’d want to cap any unused ports or coax runs that are still connected to the coax plant — like those locations where you want the flexibility to put a Mini.

You can just install a terminator at the coax wall outlet, or use a barrel connector, if needed, to terminate the coax line awaiting the Mini.

Ahh ok. I guess I capped unused Coax in my own patch distribution panel so long ago - I had forgotten this practice.
And the coax I do use - have Mini's attached to them.

1) u confirmed what I had SUSPECTED - save for some vintage MoCA adapters that are hard to find, there is no 3rd party router nor adapter that can preserve my coax & enable MoCA WAN.
I've been seeing information regarding the FiOS NVG468MQ and the companion device, an Arris MEB1100 MoCA adapter for establishing a coax/MoCA WAN link and bridging that via Ethernet to the NVG468MQ ... which lacks the MoCA WAN functionality of the G1100 and MI424-WR gateways. I haven't yet found the specs on the MEB1100 but thought I'd mention it, since it may be an alternative.

NVG468MQ Quick Setup
reddit: Why do I have two networking boxes, what is the purpose? MEB1100 and NVG468MQ.
reddit: MoCA WAN bridge for FiOS?

I've been seeing information regarding the FiOS NVG468MQ and the companion device, an Arris MEB1100 MoCA adapter for establishing a coax/MoCA WAN link and bridging that via Ethernet to the NVG468MQ ... which lacks the MoCA WAN functionality of the G1100 and MI424-WR gateways. I haven't yet found the specs on the MEB1100 but thought I'd mention it, since it may be an alternative.

NVG468MQ Quick Setup
reddit: Why do I have two networking boxes, what is the purpose? MEB1100 and NVG468MQ.
reddit: MoCA WAN bridge for FiOS?
In case I didn't make it clear, it appears that one should be able to use the MEB1100 to make a (coax) MoCA WAN connection to an ONT, and then connect the MEB1100 via Ethernet to the Ethernet WAN port of a third-party router of your choosing.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!