What's new

Cyberpower UPS to power an RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I've just set up a CyberPower VP1000EILCD Value PRO 1000va/550w Tower LCD UPS to power my Synology Diskstation and it works even better than I expected (even the encrypted shares come back online when the mains power is restored) and I can control how the UPS handles a power failure from within the Diskstation GUI. So now, I have ordered a second UPS to power my ASUS RT-AX88U and DrayTek Vigor modem, both of which are located on the landing at the top of the stairs. The second UPS will be located in the roof space, because that is where all the cables to my router & modem are fed from. My question therefore is, would I be able to monitor/control any of the UPS's features if I were to connect the supplied USB cable from the UPS unit to the router or is that only useful for connecting NAS devices?

My question therefore is, would I be able to monitor/control any of the UPS's features if I were to connect the supplied USB cable from the UPS unit to the router or is that only useful for connecting NAS devices?

The UPS data connection is only useful when there is UPS monitoring software running on the connected host. A NAS could have this software control, but I doubt the typical router will unless you somehow install it.

OE

Lol my imagination went straight to a roof on fire because a hidden away UPS fault goes unnoticed after an overload or battery fault. I’m not aware of any monitoring software for router firmwares.

Lol my imagination went straight to a roof on fire because a hidden away UPS fault goes unnoticed after an overload or battery fault. I’m not aware of any monitoring software for router firmwares.

APC - American Power Conversion

Beware the default for the UPS is to shut off a couple minutes after power goes out. If you want it to stay on and power your router until the battery dies or power is restored you have to connect it to a PC and use CyberPower's software to change that behavior.

Beware the default for the UPS is to shut off a couple minutes after power goes out. If you want it to stay on and power your router until the battery dies or power is restored you have to connect it to a PC and use CyberPower's software to change that behavior.
I may be wrong but I don't think it is with my particular model and some of the functions can be controlled from the front panel, e.g.
Screenshot - 12_11_2020 , 19_16_11.jpg

I was remembering it a little jumbled. What it's configured to do by default is shut off the UPS after the computer it's attached to powers down. So after my FreeNAS system powered down the UPS would turn off and take my router and some other devices with it. I had to manually configure it not to do that.

Entware has apcupsd which controls UPS. I use apcupsd on Ubuntu to control APC and Cyberpower UPS. So, it stands to reason you should be able to install apcupsd on Merlin with Entware. You might even be able to get the GUI working. For my AC86U I use an APC BN450N which is an inexpensive UPS without external control and has powered my router through several short (up to 1 hour) blackouts.

For what it is worth, this link may also give some useful info ....

For what it is worth, this link may also give some useful info ....

This is way beyond my current technical knowledge. If it were available via amtm, I might stand a chance of getting it to work.

@Lotta Cox, those seem to be discontinued for a while now. :(

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!