What's new

D-Link COVR AC3900 Whole Home Wi-Fi System Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

its dlink, keep your distance.
Too many security blunders. On the plus side if i have to replace a router, considering that over here all given ISP routers are dlink, i can get the logins without actually logging in.

There are those security issues again, supposedly fixed. Where is a wooden advocate when you need one?

I just picked up the COVR package for $349 CAD on sale to upgrade my ASUS RT-N66U (running DD-WRT) and a powerline extender setup to my HTPC.

I have the main router at one end of my 1000-sq-ft condo and the extender at the other end (approximately 30-40 feet through a couple walls). I see about 30MB/s doing a CIFS file transfer from my Synology DS1813+ NAS (connected via gigabit to the router) to my HTPC connected via gigabit switch to the extender on the 2x2 backhaul. I'd like to get to 50MB/s sustained, is there anything out there that will do that?

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the firmware on the d-link unit, but the speed is definitely an improvement over the TP-Link AV2 Powerline extender I was using (about 10MB/s with a significant amount of audible interference being picked up by my amplifier on the same AC circuit). I have since relocated the AV2 extender to another computer and it gets about 200mbps in iPerf without causing interference.

My question is - being it boxing day and sales abound - for a bandwidth intensive user (I want the highest possible backhaul speed between my HTPC and my wiring closet) is the Covr the best value?

I'm considering the TP-Link AC3200 + RE650 combo, the Linksys EA9300+RE7000, or a Linksys EA9500+RE7000, which are all comparable prices right now due to boxing day or refurb deals.

I do intend to run a wired backhaul to the HTPC eventually, so I also want something that will retain value when we move to a larger house in 3-4 years (like Wifi tech wont have dramatically changed!)

I have the COVR in my 3500sq ft house. Works well and has great range at distant ends of the house from where the main router is to the extender and everything in between.

I hear that the extender can be connected wired as well to the main router for additional performances.

If your an intensive bandwidth use, wired is recommended. I have CAT6A as my house wired infrastructure here. Im so ready for 10Gb LAN. :D

I just picked up the COVR package for $349 CAD on sale to upgrade my ASUS RT-N66U (running DD-WRT) and a powerline extender setup to my HTPC.

I have the main router at one end of my 1000-sq-ft condo and the extender at the other end (approximately 30-40 feet through a couple walls). I see about 30MB/s doing a CIFS file transfer from my Synology DS1813+ NAS (connected via gigabit to the router) to my HTPC connected via gigabit switch to the extender on the 2x2 backhaul. I'd like to get to 50MB/s sustained, is there anything out there that will do that?

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the firmware on the d-link unit, but the speed is definitely an improvement over the TP-Link AV2 Powerline extender I was using (about 10MB/s with a significant amount of audible interference being picked up by my amplifier on the same AC circuit). I have since relocated the AV2 extender to another computer and it gets about 200mbps in iPerf without causing interference.

My question is - being it boxing day and sales abound - for a bandwidth intensive user (I want the highest possible backhaul speed between my HTPC and my wiring closet) is the Covr the best value?

I'm considering the TP-Link AC3200 + RE650 combo, the Linksys EA9300+RE7000, or a Linksys EA9500+RE7000, which are all comparable prices right now due to boxing day or refurb deals.

I do intend to run a wired backhaul to the HTPC eventually, so I also want something that will retain value when we move to a larger house in 3-4 years (like Wifi tech wont have dramatically changed!)

Yeah, this condo is a short-term home for us so I don't want to buy expensive solutions to a temporary problem. I poked my head up in the attic and I think I can run some UTP between the closet and the living room, so then it comes down to whether the COVR is the best solution to keep long-term or just stick with my RTN66U or the ISP-provided actiontec T3200M.

Even if you go LAN cable, you can wired up the extender as well for additional performances. The COVR seems to be doing a great job here. I prefer non ISP HW. Has better development and support all around. My 2 cents.

If you're ok with the Covr's routing features, it's a pretty good extender-type solution. For your situation, you should be considering only four-stream based backhaul if you can't go wired.

The tri-band NETGEAR EX8000 and Linksys RE9000 would be the way to go for an extender to go with either of the routers you are considering. Either lets you finally do something useful with the second 5 GHz radio in a tri-band router; dedicated backhaul to an extender!

Thanks for the feedback.

Eliminating the back-haul and first-hop requirements, would you still recommend the Covr in a wired backhaul environment? I'm a big fan of DD-WRT, but it's not a deal-breaker if the baked-in firmware has plenty of configurability. I think $250 is my personal price cap for a 4x4 tri-band router which leans me towards the EA9500 and then I could consider the RE9000 or the RE7000? Sorry if I'm getting off topic.

I should add, there's unused coax sitting right by my HTPC, and my ISP-provided T3200M has a bonded moca 2.0 port on it....

If you have Ethernet where you need it, a simple access point is more cost-effective and will work just as well.

And the COVR extender would work in this case as well being LAN connected too.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!