What's new

D-Link DAP-2660 vs Linksys LAPAC1200 VS ??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

soehest

Occasional Visitor
I am refactoring my network setup for various reasons. I have decided to give up on standard routers (Asus, Netgear etc) Reasoning can be found in this thread

As the first part of the setup is clear. It will be a Ubuqity Edgerouter lite i am not sure about the access points i will buy. I will need at least (and probabaly no more at this time) two access points. My initial plan was to buy two Unifi UAP access points from ubuqity. They are cheap and seems cool. Having thought a bit about it though and beside the coolness factor they miss 5.0 ghz and only througput 300 Mbps each. Looking upwards at the Unifi line from ubuqity prices rise dramatically for a UAP-PRO which on paper (and reviews) does not seem like that good a buy. People also mention noise from the Ap's which is not acceptable in any form. Rethinking again i will not need any unified features anyway (one access point will be in my house, and the next at the neighbors) and I have a aging Asus RT-N66U which should be able to function as a access point which can be placed at the neighbor i will need 1 access point in the middle of my house.

I have been looking at the following:
D-Link DAP-2660
Linksys Business LAPAC1200

Does anyone here use these products and can tell me a bit about stability etc. Generally i find that reviews of Access points are somewhat harder to find that reviews on the blazing new routers loading with all sorts of goods. Access points are (or at least that is my idea) Much easier to place in terms of reception as are more pleasing for the eye than things with antennas. I am also looking for valid alternatives in about the same price range as the above access points. Please feel free to chime in with anything on the topic

Best Regards

Hi again soehest - Purpose-built APs tend to be pricier than consumer all-in-ones with equivalent wifi capabilty. Thinking the price difference would mean a more robust or reliable device isn't always the case, so I wouldn't necessarily rule out all-in-ones. The workload will be simplified in AP-mode, so a fair amount of firmware-related issues affecting packet handling will be mitigated by the fact that the ERL will be handling that role (solid choice, btw).

Given the above, perhaps the RT-A68U, R7000 or Apple AEB? If you'd still prefer a purpose-built AP for whatever reason, then I'd go plenum-rated from EnGenius or perhaps a D-Link DAP-2695. You'll be right around $300, though, so we're back to the same dilemma, and if you go any higher you might as well just buy a Cisco Aironet and call it a day. Find a truly solid AC AP on a small budget can be challenging... not a lot of options right now. If you want to play, you have to pay. :)

Last edited:
Hi again soehest - Purpose-built APs tend to be pricier than consumer all-in-ones with equivalent wifi capabilty.

Given the above, perhaps the RT-A68U, R7000 or Apple AEB? If you'd still prefer a purpose-built AP for whatever reason.

Hi again Trip :) Thank you so much for you valuable input. Your post had me thinking. Probably over thinking as well. I tend to do that with projects like this. I almost did order a Apple Airport Extreme Base as it actually is a valid point to use a "standard" router and just run it in access mode. But had seconds thoughts. The idea of this refactoring was to separate routing (with the edgerouter) and splitting the wireless up in at least two dedicated access points that are easy to deploy and does not hurt the eye when mounted in a optimal position. What i failed to recognize was that purpose built ap's are more expensive than a "standard" router having the same features. Having debated a lot in my mind i have decided a semi optimal solution which is to buy the D-Link DAP-2660 I do not need top of the line speed as I do not have that many clients connecting, and buying that is within my original idea. And I must admit there for me is a coolness factor in having the AP mounted in the ceiling ;-) The D-Link DAP-2660 will set me back about the exact same amount as I paid for the RT-AC87U which i returned. This shatters my idea of not wanting to pay for features I will not need/use. I ended up spending even more when taking the price of the edgerouter lite and a poe injector into account. Having said that i do hope this will become a more stable solution and will give my mind peace. Only time will tell.

Best Regards
soehest

I ended up spending even more when taking the price of the edgerouter lite and a poe injector into account. Having said that i do hope this will become a more stable solution and will give my mind peace. Only time will tell.
And *that* is precisely what you're investing for in the difference -- the fact that you're separating out responsibilities to role-players who should each be better at handling the targeted areas than the all-in-one would be at any of them. So I have a feeling it *will* pan out for you. If not now, then definitely down the line, when you can more easily troubleshoot/upgrade/add to/swap any amount and flavor of gear as you see fit. So enjoy, and do keep us updated on how it's going. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!