What's new

D-Link DNS-323 and Linksys WRT54G

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nico

New Around Here
I just posted a comment in the DNS-323 review section, but realise that this probably a better, ahem, forum.

I have the above setup and transfer performance is ok when wired, i.e. 50% of 100Mbps for large tranfers. Wireless performance however is only about 5% of 54Mbps, which is too slow for me to stream video files to my laptop, which was why I got the NAS in the first place. I'm not expecting 'n' performance, but this seems too slow.

I'm using windows XP and have norton internet security. The latter gave me a problem in mapping the network drive, but I manged to fix that. I have set up a static IP address for my laptop to do port forwarding on the router for torrents. I dot not use WEP or WPA wireless security, but control access with the MAC address of my laptop.

Do I need to give the router the NAS MAC address (even though it is wired)?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I had posted this reply in the article comment. Thanks for re-posting the question here.

The maximum usable throughput you can get from 802.11g is slightly over 20 Mbps, which is ~2.5 MB/s vs. 12.5 MB/s from a 100 Mbps Ethernet connection.

In general, using a NAS via wireless is pretty slow.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!