What's new

Daylight savings.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DJones

Very Senior Member
So in Canada their is talk of removing the changing of the clocks daylight savings. The Yukon Territory in Canada stopped doing daylight savings in 2020, and other provinces and Canada as a whole are debating this issue.

So I was wondering how you would completely disable DST in Merlin, I’m assuming you’d set the start and stop date the same?

Last edited:
So in Canada their is talk of removing the changing of the clocks daylight savings. The Yukon Territory in Canada stopped doing daylight savings in 2020, and other provinces and Canada as a whole are debating this issue.

So I was wondering how you would completely disable DST in Merlin, I assuming you’d set the start and stop date the same?

When you select Arizona in Asuswrt, the start and stop selections are removed... Arizona does not do daylight savings... they prefer less sunshine! :)

OE

It is not clear to me what you would do in the Merlin GUI to disable DST.

Neither is it clear to me what syntax you would use at the command prompt to disable DST.

Here are the settings with DST
Code:
time_zone=EST5DST
time_zone_dst=1
time_zone_dstoff=M3.2.0/2,M11.1.0/2
time_zone_x=EST5DST,M3.2.0/2,M11.1.0/2

Would it be as simple as setting time_zone_dst to 0 or would you also need to set time_zone to something else?

If we're talking specifically about Yukon Territory then it would appear that the "Arizona" setting would be equivalent as that is also MST (UTC-7) all year round. EDIT: Oops, just realised that @OzarkEdge already said that. :oops:

As for other future time zone changes, I guess in most if not all cases there will be an equivalent option available somewhere in the list. Merlin does try to keep the timezone list updated.

Last edited:
If we're talking specifically about Yukon Territory then it would appear that the "Arizona" setting would be equivalent as that is also MST (UTC-7) all year round. EDIT: Oops, just realised that @OzarkEdge already said that. :oops:

I did not look to see that Arizona and Yukon might line up in the same time zone... I think we both are pointing out that the developer could/should program for each distinct time zone, and once selected by the user, the start and stop options will not appear when there is no DST... like for Arizona.

I wish Asuswrt would fix the DST stop time for US Central... it ends on the first Sunday in Nov. But no big deal.

OE

Last edited:
I wish Asuswrt would fix the DST stop time for US Central... it ends on the first Sunday in Nov. But no big deal.
"Central Time" shows me it changing on 2nd Sunday in March and 1st Sunday on November. It sounds like stock firmware is different.

Last edited:
I’m actually in Ontario Canada which is eastern Toronto time, the switch to remove daylight savings was voted on and passed in this province. The change hasn’t been made yet due to New York in the US wavering if they want to make the switch also. And Quebec which hasn’t voted yet because it’s waiting for other provinces to make the switch first.

Ultimately they want to remove the changing of the clocks from our constitution but it needs support from other provinces to do so.

Last edited:
Oddly enough, I checked my router and the "DST time zone changes ends" was still set to October. We switched to November in 2007 I think. Heh. Didn't even notice the router time had fallen back already. Corrected now. Looking forward to that extra hour this weekend.

Oddly enough, I checked my router and the "DST time zone changes ends" was still set to October. We switched to November in 2007 I think. Heh. Didn't even notice the router time had fallen back already. Corrected now. Looking forward to that extra hour this weekend.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to for US Central DST but I can't reproduce it now that I adjusted it on current AC86U... maybe a reset brings it back or maybe this firmware has been adjusted/fix. I'll check again on the next firmware release that may drop sooner than later.

OE

Asus did frequent updates to the tables, however the router parameters don't always get refreshed automatically. You might need to select a different timezone, then re-select your correct timezone for its updated start/stop dates to get applied.

Just checked and noticed what others noticed the DST time zone changes ends value was also set to the wrong value (October). Selecting a different time zone and then switching it back then applying the change fixes the end time back correct month of November. Wonder how long it's been wrong? :D

Here is my guess for functioning North America Eastern nvram settings

Eastern with daylight saving time
Code:
time_zone=EST5DST
time_zone_dst=1
time_zone_dstoff=M3.2.0/2,M11.1.0/2
time_zone_x=EST5DST,M3.2.0/2,M11.1.0/2

Eastern without daylight saving time
Code:
time_zone=UTC5_1
time_zone_dst=0
time_zone_dstoff=
time_zone_x=UTC5_1

Why the weird Indiana value for time_zone?
Because the router code only has Indiana and Bogota for non-DST Eastern options

Last edited:
Eastern without daylight saving time
Code:
time_zone=UTC-5
time_zone_dst=0
time_zone_dstoff=
time_zone_x=UTC-5
Counter-intuitively UTC-5 is UTC+05:00 (Islamabad, Karachi, Tashkent). America would be just "UTC5" (which is the same as GMT5). But then of course you can't make any changes to Administration - System because the Time Zone field doesn't have a matching entry for that.

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas how to solve this. thankfully it’s not a priority for me yet, but sounds like figuring this out could be a headache for anyone that didn’t know. Unsure if router time related settings could have issues connecting to your isp or not, if so it’ll be more of a reason to get it set right.

Unsure if router time related settings could have issues connecting to your isp or not, if so it’ll be more of a reason to get it set right.
Unlikely. The timezone being incorrectly set (or not set at all) on the router, either through user error or buggy firmware, has been a "feature" ever since the first routers. If anything routers are generally better at this now than they ever were. It's never been an issue in the past and it's unlikely to be in the future. ISP's have to design their systems around the assumption that most of their users are network illiterate and don't ever log into their router (other than when forced to setup SSIDs and passwords). The idea of having to configure a timezone on their router would never occur to them, even if they understood the concept.

In Merlin firmware, should DST need to be disabled, could you just set the start and end times to be the same? Ultimately, as many locations are dropping, an enable/disable check box may be worthwhile for the future.

Wish they didn't put the clocks back in uk in winter, apparently its so Scotland get more light in the morning, personally I'd rather have the light in the evening.

Yeah, that's the argument as well here to stay on DST and not fall back. Would like to see that happen here in Ontario but as noted above, we'd need to go as a group with Quebec and New York at a bare minimum. We shall see.

Yeah, that's the argument as well here to stay on DST and not fall back. Would like to see that happen here in Ontario but as noted above, we'd need to go as a group with Quebec and New York at a bare minimum. We shall see.
It's nice having the long evenings in the summer, but days are already fairly long in the summer anyway. I'd prefer to split the difference, put it back 1/2hr and leave it there and don't flip it anymore. If it's gonna stay then just put it back the full hour and leave it there. With kids, it's better having some light in the am and not being dark walking to the school bus. With little kids this just causes grief twice a year. I personally don't like driving to work in the dark in the morning either.

DST is an abomination. Change for change's sake isn't progress or useful, no matter how you spin it. And no matter how beneficial it is for some, in preference only.