What's new

DD-WRT firmware upgrade (.trx vs .bin file)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Marin

Very Senior Member
Hi,

I am thinking about upgrading the DD-WRT firmware in my router and wasn’t sure which file to use for my Asus RT-AC5300 router. I have read quite a bit of info in dd-wrt wiki but it is still not very clear to me on which file to use to upgrade, .trx vs .bin one. I used a .trx file to go from stock to DD-WRT but I’m somewhat stuck on whether to use a new .trx file to upgrade or not. I currently have one of Kong’s firmwares installed. Please advise. Thank you!

Stock ASUS firmware usually require firmware upgrades to have the .trx extension and to be formatted a certain way. The .trx is the first step to convert from stock firmware to third-party via the stock web interface as you did. Sometimes these initial .trx conversion files have a reduced set of features so it may be desirable to flash again to another more full-featured firmware which could then have the standard .bin extension.

See also https://www.snbforums.com/threads/dd-wrt-for-asus-rt-ac5300.44339/

Thank you! So, if there is a newer DD-WRT firmware .trx file that also comes with its own .bin file then do you:

1. Upgrade by flashing the newer .trx file and then flash again the matching .bin file?

Or,

2. Upgrade by flashing only the “newer” .bin file?

Thanks again!

You would just use the .bin file. This was explained in the other thread. In that thread you said you had bricked your router.

This is one of the reasons I don't use DD-WRT anymore. A few months ago I thought I'd update DD-WRT on one of my very old routers (not Asus). After the update it was bricked. Looking at the DD-WRT forums there were reports that the firmware image for this model was corrupt in every build for the past 6 months. Nobody bothered to fix it or take down the file. As far as I know the corrupt image is still up there.

I completely understand. Thank you for your thoughts!

Be careful with DD-WRT and read all you can before deciding to proceed. What is the experience of AC5300 users is the first thing to research. Then, read the peacock thread.

Back in 2016, there were many D-Link 880L owners who bricked their routers when performing a firmware update. I had to use a usb to ttl cable and serial connection to unbrick it. I tried several rev levels with same result. You can see my posts starting on this page https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=268579&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=105.

Router is now regulated to AP duties on my pfSense box and I have no plans for firmware updates after my experience.

Last edited:
Yes I have read a lot before this and I have found the peacock thread quite useful. But with having different Brainslayer and Kong’s firmware versions coming out almost every month sometimes it gets confusing to novices like myself to figure out what is the right way to upgrade. For example:

1. Do you use the “new” BS .trx file to upgrade (if you wanted to stay with BS) or Kong’s “new” .bin file each time a new revision comes out? One of the other members already answered this.

2. What if you wanted to go from BS version to a Kong’s one? Should you first upgrade using his .trx file and then the .bin one or simply go straight to his .bin file to accomplish this?

Thank you!

Only use the trx files. Both brainslayer and Kong only publish trx files for the rt-ac5300.
The Kong and bs versions are interchangeable.

I have a 68u, and I've used the trx initially, then loaded a Kong build via web interface with no issues... Most likely it will be different for you... You should be okay if you follow the model specific instructions in the ddwrt wiki.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!