What's new

DD-WRT for Asus rt-ac5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ng4ever

Regular Contributor
Explain it like I am a baby please or noob lol.

How do you install DD-WRT onto the Asus rt-ac5300 please ? And where do I get the firmware?

Thanks.

Hmmm... "be sure you understand what you are doing".

You can find the DD-WRT firmware here: the first time you will be using the .trx file - in your case it will be the file Asus-RT-AC5300-firmware.trx - and to update to a new version you will use the .bin file instead, that is dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_AC5300.bin

Again, things could go easily wrong and
you could brick your router, so you better have a techie friend who can assist you !

Last edited:
Now I see why you said in pm about .trx and .bin files. One step at a time. Just try what I told you to try. Once and if it happens, you get on dd-wrt, you can then think about upgrading.

Was wondering if you still consider this 2017 firmware version (Kong’s) the best one to use so far to install DDWRT in this router. I have seen other “beta” versions out there in the dd-wrt.com website and wasn’t sure if they work well.

Also, do any of you have a good step-by-step guide on how to install ddwrt firmware in this router? Appreciate your assistance with this. Thank you.

Yes, on my Netgear it's the one I am using and I will update only when the next stable revision will be released by Kong - but if you feel a 'beta tester' you can find the latest beta in the folder 'TEST'.
I don't have experience with Asus routers, but it shouldn't be too different from installing it on a Netgear router, have a read here.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I just flashed my Asus RT-AC5300 with DDWRT firmware and it is working very well. However, for some reason the WAN light remains red (as if there is no connection). This is not a big deal as the other lights work well but I have read that you can run scripts in the Command section that could change the behaviors, colors of these lights. I have good connection speeds and have been researching the LED scripts page in DDWRT Wiki but have not come across anything that would help change this light from solid RED to WHITE like it normally works with stock firmware. Do any of you have any command scripts to use in this case? Also, do you have any good links/others posts you could refer me to regarding LED scripts for Asus routers so I can further research this?

Thank you very much!

For what it's worth I bricked my RT-AC5300 with the only option to breathe life back into it via serial. I ended up just getting exchange thanks to a generous exception made via Amazon.

I'd caution anyone doing this after the Asus Bootloader update that they've employed to restrict 3rd party firmware.

For what it's worth I bricked my RT-AC5300 with the only option to breathe life back into it via serial. I ended up just getting exchange thanks to a generous exception made via Amazon.

I'd caution anyone doing this after the Asus Bootloader update that they've employed to restrict 3rd party firmware.

I guess I won't be attempting to fix it. Lol

I bricked my ASUS RT-AC5300 too. Was trying to upgrade my DDWRT firmware with another newer one and then all went downhill from there. The power light remained steady on and despite performing hard resets, no luck on getting to recovery mode. Since I’m new at this, are you able to describe how you revived your router with serial cable? I have also heard of JTAG rescue but have not done enough research to do this. I tried to ping my router but all I was getting were TTL of 54. Are there any less “invasive” ways to bring this machine back to life? Would appreciate if you could describe all the steps you took to do this along with any supplies you used. Thank you very much!!

I bricked my ASUS RT-AC5300 too. Was trying to upgrade my DDWRT firmware with another newer one and then all went downhill from there. The power light remained steady on and despite performing hard resets, no luck on getting to recovery mode. Since I’m new at this, are you able to describe how you revived your router with serial cable? I have also heard of JTAG rescue but have not done enough research to do this. I tried to ping my router but all I was getting were TTL of 54. Are there any less “invasive” ways to bring this machine back to life? Would appreciate if you could describe all the steps you took to do this along with any supplies you used. Thank you very much!!
Can't JTAG it. I didn't serial it and have no idea how that's done I just know that's what would've had to have been done. Tried everything else though as far as pinging it, using Wireshark to find the new rouge dhcp server.

No luck and no response. Ultimately I switched it for an AC86U and am much happier with the performance of it to be honest.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!