What's new

DDNS Update Rate?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mike S

Regular Contributor
I have an Asus RT-AC88U Router running Asuswrt-Merlin Ver 384.18. The router is located behind a DSL Router and has a private WAN Address. I have configured the router DDNS service using the Asus.com server.

Everything seems to work fine. However, today my DSL link went down, and when the service came back up, I was assigned a different IP address. 6 hours later the DDNS address had not yet been updated.

How frequently does the router check the external IP address to see if it has changed? Is it possible to adjust this, so that checks are made more frequently?

1623128872449.png

The router system log should have entries when it updates, or show why an update failed.

The router system log should have entries when it updates, or show why an update failed.
I'm not looking for reasons an update failed. I'm trying to figure out how frequently the router checks the IP address when I am using the asus.com server, and how to adjust this frequency. This appears to be possible when you are using the No-ip.com server, but that frequency field is missing when configuring the asus.com server.

I have a similar problem. A few weeks ago Verizon rolled my IP to a new one and for almost a month I haven't been able to get my DDNS to update. From outside the network a tracert still shows the old IP. Running the ASUS lookup at http://iplookup.asus.com/nslookup.php reports my old IP as well. I've rebooted the router multiple times, I set the force update interval on the WAN<->DDNS tab to 1 day, I've started and stopped the DDNS client while the router is up, and I've changed the Method to retrieve from Internal to External and back but nothing has had an effect.

A few hours ago I get yet another IP as a result of rebooting the router a couple times (I guess), and still DDNS resolves to my original IP address. What am I missing?

I have a similar problem. A few weeks ago Verizon rolled my IP to a new one and for almost a month I haven't been able to get my DDNS to update. From outside the network a tracert still shows the old IP. Running the ASUS lookup at http://iplookup.asus.com/nslookup.php reports my old IP as well. I've rebooted the router multiple times, I set the force update interval on the WAN<->DDNS tab to 1 day, I've started and stopped the DDNS client while the router is up, and I've changed the Method to retrieve from Internal to External and back but nothing has had an effect.

A few hours ago I get yet another IP as a result of rebooting the router a couple times (I guess), and still DDNS resolves to my original IP address. What am I missing?
Is your router behind a Verizon router with a private WAN address, or is the WAN address of the router the public address on the Verizon network?

If your Asus router has a private WAN address, the DDNS setting should be "external". In my situation, when I rebooted the router, the Asuscomm.com address was updated immediately. Note: You need to use http://iplookup.asus.com/nslookup.php to check this, as your computer may have cached the old address, which will potentially take some time to get updated.

If the asuscomm.com DDNS address does not get updated when you reboot, you have a different problem than what I encountered.

Try enabling DDNS debugging:

Code:
nvram set ddns_debug=1
service restart_ddns

Then check the log content.

Thanks for the responses. Firstly, yes, the WAN address of the router is the public address on the Verizon network and not behind any private range addresses.

The Log report points to a problem for sure but googling it doesn't get me too far.

Jun 9 17:42:15 inadyn[6662]: Failed resolving hostname ns1.asuscomm.com: Name or service not known

One thing that strikes a chord is perhaps a misconfigured certificate? I did struggle with that a bit. Do I need to regen a new cert?

1623275795826.png

Edit: I found some instructions in another post to check the contents of /etc/inadyn.conf. This is what I found:

provider update@asus.com {
hostname = XXXXXXXX.asuscomm.com
username = '3X:7X:3X:6X:3X:CX'
password = 'XXXXXXXX'
}
iterations = 1
iface = eth0
ca-trust-file = /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
secure-ssl = false

Edit #2: I cannot tracert to ns1.asuscom.com while going out through this network. I jumped off and connected my laptop to my phone hotspot and then the tracert works. Something is wonky in my router config and it's blocking a connection to the asuscomm nameserver1. So, that's my problem at least. I'd rather not wipe and reload the router but perhaps that's the swiftest course of action.

Last edited:
The Log report points to a problem for sure but googling it doesn't get me too far.
Take it at face value. The message is saying the router could not resolve hostname ns1.asuscomm.com. So look at your WAN DNS settings and try to run nslookup ns1.asuscomm.com from the router SSH command line.

For sure a DNS problem. I can't get to ns1.asuscomm.com from a DOS box or from PuTTY. What I don't get is why that's my only problem. I'm using OpenDNS and everything else seems to be configured properly, it's just this one piece that isn't working. When I revert back to my ISP's DNS on the WAN page then nslookup to ns1.asuscomm.com works. Confusing.

I think this has more to do with my lack of understanding of how to configure OpenDNS and possibly DNScrypt. Once I changed to my ISPs DNS then my DDNS updated immediately. Problem solved. I changed back to OpenDNS and everything else still works, except I can't get to ns1.asususcomm.com. Not sure that I care until my ISP updates my IP again.

I am having a very similar issue and can't figure out what's wrong.

The WAN IP reported by router at the 'Network Map' home page is different than what is being reported by http://iplookup.asus.com/nslookup.php

I've restarted the router several times. This updates my WAN IP on the router home page, but it does not match http://iplookup.asus.com/nslookup.php. My nsloopup IP is stuck on the same IP for a while now.

Any way to force this to update?

FYI, going to http://ns1.asuscomm.com/ reported "It works!"

Your problem sounds different than what's discussed in this thread. Your problem appears to be that your router doesn't have a public IP address because it is behind another NAT device.
Thanks for the response. I don't mean to take this thread off topic, but could you point me to instructions or thread where I can get a solution?
I am not using VPN or anything if that's what you meant by being behind another NAT device.

I am not using VPN or anything if that's what you meant by being behind another NAT device.
No, I was referring to the statement you made that the router's WAN IP address doesn't match that shown by iplookup.asus.com. But maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree... What are the first two octets (e.g. 88.123.x.x) of your WAN IP address shown in those two places?

Last edited:
No, I was referring to the statement you made that the router's WAN IP address doesn't match that shown by iplookup.asus.com. But maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree... What are the first two octets (e.g. 88.123.x.x) of your WAN IP address shown in those two places?
Router Network Map page is showing 47.197.xx.xx
http://iplookup.asus.com/nslookup.php is showing 47.197.xx.xx

47.197 is typical IP assignment from my service provider.

xx.xx are different between router and nslookup

Looks like Asus DDNS may be bored today.

Router Network Map page is showing .xx.xx
http://iplookup.asus.com/nslookup.php is showing 47.197.xx.xx

47.197 is typical IP assignment from my service provider.

xx.xx are different between router and nslookup
Ah, OK. Then ignore what I said about NAT, that's not the problem. Sorry for the confusion.

If you just "Apply" the settings again on the DDNS page it should update the IP address. Try it and see if it corrects the address.

Ah, OK. Then ignore what I said about NAT, that's not the problem. Sorry for the confusion.

If you just "Apply" the settings again on the DDNS page it should update the IP address. Try it and see if it corrects the address.
I de-registered DDNS, and restarted the router.

Then re-registered DDNS again, and restarted the router. DDNS page confirmed 'registration was successful.'

Still the same problem. Can't seem to figure out how to fix. I can't use my Wireguard VPN until this is fixed.