What's new

decent openvpn router ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have zero experience with SSH. What I have noticed just from observations during different types of test is that core 1 seems to be more responsive to NAT type stuff while core 2 reacts to heavy wifi usage and based on the vpn test core 2 also appears to handle the vpn traffic/encryption. When not using the openvpn client I'll see high core 1 usage and negligible core 2 usage during speedtest.

Look for the RT-AC1900P model as it's the newer version of the 68U and has the same dual core 1.4 Ghz processor as the 88u/3100. Make sure to read this thread before purchasing a 1900 class Asus router. http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac68u-rt-ac68p-rt-ac1900-rt-ac1900p.35759/

I ended up getting two AC1900P model from Best Buy, I'll report back of my speeds when I have them setup.

Thanks!

My speeds with PIA on a 3100 are:

AC3100
CTF enabled
DL: 61 Mbps with core 1 at 25%, core 2 at 75%
UL: 84 Mbps with core 1 at 35%, core 2 at 100%

This is using the recommended settings from the PIA website. I believe there might be some tweaks that might help in the sticky thread in this forum but I have not messed with any of them yet.

More info here: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac88u-asuswrt-merlin-380-64-vpn-connection-slow.36552/

So I tried PIA with those recommended settings link you sent:

My link is 120/6 and with VPN to PIA (west coast) I got:

DL: 38Mbps , Core 1: 21% - Core 2: 55%
UL: 5.62Mbps, Core 1: 5% - Core 2: 10%

My VPN provider was much slower (since it's using AES-256-CBC, SHA512), the good thing with latest Merlin is that you can actually upload .ovpn file, which is very handy, I'll fiddle with those settings to see if I can get better throughput or not.

Thanks everyone for their recommendations!