What's new

Default password?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Super Bee

Occasional Visitor
I have successfully flashed Merlin RT-N66U_380.63_2 having switched from Shibby Tomato K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-138 (NVRAM erased before flashed). When I go to the admin logon page I cannot get in. I've tried to reset several times (pressing small button on back of router). Still stuck after trying username:admin and password: admin which works for default in Tomato. Says enter ASUS password? Tried no username with password admin in both capital and lowercase. I've had to hook up my ancient Linksys 54G to write this otherwise have no internet.

The default password that unlocks God-Mode...

ahCei0zu6moShuyaohaitooquixahngeega4ax9le1eecau9

But this is a HASH of the MAC address and IP address, so this will change depending on your config...

;)

But this is a HASH of the MAC address and IP address, so this will change depending on your config...

;)

Couldn't log in with that passcode either! :mad:
Really shouldn't be on this Linksys using the old Polarcloud Tomato firmware.
31170130265_b2009259e2_n.jpg

It should be admin:admin
Do you have a password manager or other autofill active in your browser?

If you truly cleared the nvram, then you shouldn't even be asked a login, and be sent directly to the Quick Internet Setup wizard. If you end up on a login page, then it means you did NOT clear the nvram settings correctly. See the sticky in the Asus Wireless parent forum for the various methods for clearing nvram.

It should be admin:admin
Do you have a password manager or other autofill active in your browser?

Make sure to clear the cache - John9527's advice above with regards to a password manager or autosave/autofill is spot on here...

Try a different browser, or perhaps a different computer to try logging in there...

If you truly cleared the nvram, then you shouldn't even be asked a login, and be sent directly to the Quick Internet Setup wizard. If you end up on a login page, then it means you did NOT clear the nvram settings correctly. See the sticky in the Asus Wireless parent forum for the various methods for clearing nvram.

I cleared the NVRAM within Tomato before flashing and ticked the box after defaulted in Shibby when I flashed Merlin.

-turn the router off
-hold the WPS button
-turn the router on (while still holding the WPS) button
-wait for the LED's to start flashing on the front (about 15 seconds later or so...)
-let go of the WPS button and allow the router to reboot.

-turn the router off
-hold the WPS button
-turn the router on (while still holding the WPS) button
-wait for the LED's to start flashing on the front (about 15 seconds later or so...)
-let go of the WPS button and allow the router to reboot.

That didn't work either. Nor did holding in the reset button for 30 seconds. I did clear out the browser's cashe as well. The SSID shows up as ASUS in the Wireless Network Connection. I'm still locked out! :( Does that mean this thing is bricked?

you tried
un: admin
pw: admin

or

pw: password

?

Those are normally the defaults

Merlins advice from previous is still correct. If you are actually clearing the nvram, then you will automatically be taken to the setup wizard, not a log on prompt. So the fact you are still getting a logon prompt states you still have not cleared NVRAM.

Try this:
turn the router off
hold reset button
turn the router on (while still holding the reset button)
try to navigate to 192.168.1.1
(IF) you should see the recovery webserver
click reset nvram

you tried
pw: admin

or

pw: password

?

Those are normally the defaults

Merlins advice from previous is still correct. If you are actually clearing the nvram, then you will automatically be taken to the setup wizard, not a log on prompt. So the fact you are still getting a logon prompt states you still have not cleared NVRAM.

Try this:
turn the router off
hold reset button
turn the router on (while still holding the reset button)
try to navigate to 192.168.1.1
(IF) you should see the recovery webserver
click reset nvram

Got into the ASUSTeK - CFE miniWeb Server chose command Restore default NVRAM values.

Command nvram erase completed.

Logging back to 192.168.1.1 after turning off router stuck me back into the ASUS logon screen.
Admin pw didn't work.

Last edited:
Are you sure you are clearing your browser cache? Try restarting your PC and try another browser.

Took it to another computer and was able to log into the ASUS Internet Setup screen. So I guess it's now back to the original state.

Welcome-Screen.jpg

I think it's likely BEEN back to original state ;-) and it was your browser giving you the issues.

Glad it's fixed.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for their assistance! :)

Incidentally it was all due to blocking cookies in the browser! I enabled them and voila the Internet Setup screen displayed! <shake head>.:oops: Now back to square one! o_O

Last edited:
So now I am here and back to the ASUSTeK - CFE miniWeb Server. The router seems to be in recovery mode (power light slowly flashing) but I keep ending up with the firmware not flashing through the ASUS firmware restoration utility. It goes through about 60% then fails. :confused:

BTW - just in case anybody doesn't know - that's just me being obtuse....

Just remember one has to hit the tilde "~" first, bringing up the console before putting in that number..

(or not, perhaps there is a 48 character backdoor, who knows?)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!