What's new

Denon AVR-X6200 and odd RT-AC68U Asuswrt Merlin 378.55 Behavior

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KeithS

New Around Here
I hope this is the correct place to report this. This is not a serious problem for my use of the router so far as I can tell, but it may turn out to be meaningful as a clue to other problems. There are a fair number of complaints on the web about various Denon audio video receivers acting up with Asus wireless routers. These complaints could just be static, but there may be more to it than people with a reconfiguration.

My Denon AVRX-6200 was seeming to work flawlessly and the connection status was correctly reported by the router until after I tried to change from a wireless 2.5MHz connection to a wired 100k Ethernet connection and back again. Subsequently the router will not show the Denon as a connected device under any circumstances including:

- Configuring as a wired or WiFi device using either DHCP or a static IP 192.168.1.2
- Changing the Denon client name, which was initially "Denon AVR-X6200" (with an embedded space) to "Denon-AVR" without a space did not correct the problem (the old name still appears in one router screen).
- Power cycling both devices all 14 other wired and wireless devices appear correctly in the routers device list, some with static IPs (on one occasion a wireless device showed up as wired).
- Waiting two weeks to see if the problem would go away by itself didn't work.
- There are no IP conflicts and all other wired and WiFi devices are reported correctly by the router.

Despite the router's failure to report the connectivity for the Denon device, it seems to have proper connectivity. The only serious malfunction I've seen is that the RC-68U freezes at seemingly random intervals perhaps once or twice per week, and refuses all communications efforts until it is power cycled. The freezing may or may not be related to the presence of the Denon receiver.

More information:
- The Denon's IP address and name do not shown in any router screen (with the one exception where a stale name is reports, as described below).
- Denon uses the same MAC address (00:05:CD:68:00:A6) and IP configuration settings when switching between wired and wireless connections, something I've never seen a manufacture do before.
- An nslookup query to the router in Windows 10 cmd.exe receives a correct router response with the DNS device name I entered in the Denon setup, despite the router failing to report its IP in the
- The Denon is currently configured in the router with a static IP bypassing DHCP. Both the IP and the device names match in the router static IP configuration and Denon device.
- On two occasions the Router has incorrectly reported that a wireless device is a wired device in Network Map->view list. The incorrectly listed device is corrected as the router seems to rebuild the list after the list is displayed.
- The router incorrectly reports the Denon device name as "Denon AVR-X6200" in Tools->Sysinfo->Device Last Seen as Ethernet Port 1 100k despite not having had this name for multiple power cycles and connect/reconnect cycles. This is very clearly a minor FW bug , and may be a clue as to why the Denon's presence is not reflected in any other router device status screen. Again, the Denon internet connectivity seems to be okay (e.g. selecting and playing Pandora music selections over the Internet). Though I have had the router freeze a few times there is no reason to believe that these problems are related.

-KeithS

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!