What's new

[Dev] Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 development

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replacement RT-AX88U arrived today (looks like DHL delivers on Sundays), which was the perfect occasion to do some AiMesh-related testing and debugging, particularly around the firmware upgrade page.

Yes, 5 are supposed to be supported. Except there is a h/w limitation on the AX88U that limits that router to 2 concurrent sessions.

If VPN Director is currently a UI running on top of stock WireGuard code (as you said yourself), you might find a pop-up when you try and connect the 3rd session.

Yes, 5 are supposed to be supported. Except there is a h/w limitation on the AX88U that limits that router to 2 concurrent sessions.

If VPN Director is currently a UI running on top of stock WireGuard code (as you said yourself), you might find a pop-up when you try and connect the 3rd session.
VPN Director has nothing to do with connecting, it only deals with adding routing rules to the RPDB.

Ok - but my point is that the you are using Asus wireguard code to do the connecting, so there will probably be a maximum number of concurrent sessions limit imposed when using the AX88U

Havn’t been able confirm yet whether this also applies to the AX11000.

I'm a gt-ax6000 user now. So if you need a willing guinea pig to experiment in, more than happy to help :)
Hoping that WG support with kill-switch and vpn fusion is around the corner!

I'm a gt-ax6000 user now. So if you need a willing guinea pig to experiment in, more than happy to help :)
If you need vpn fusion, just stick with stock. If Merlin took vpn fusion on, you would be saying goodbye to any customization support his firmware offers for vpn which is frankly the reason why most people prefer his implementation over the stock vpn platform.

Can't wait for WG + VPN Director, having to manually turn off WG (stock firmware) for various services has been annoying.

No killswitch for Wireguard, and no VPN Fusion in my firmware.

In fact, a killswitch isn't really possible with Wireguard, because Wireguard isn't a typical client that connects/disconnects. It's a network interface that communicates with another peer, with no way of knowing for sure if that other peer is gone. That's why after you "disconnect" a client, the peer still shows up in the Wireguard output.

Yep, this is the trend in IT.

SMTP replaced X.400

Peer-to-peer networking is replacing the client/server model

Just two examples of chaos replacing order.

Decentralised finance replacing banking institutions is another example of what’s coming.

In fact, a killswitch isn't really possible with Wireguard, because Wireguard isn't a typical client that connects/disconnects
Right. As soo, it already accomplishes the same thing as a killswitch by default. As the interface is not brought down in case the opposite part is unreachable, all routes will still be there so connection will be broken instead of switching over to something else.

The tricky part is to accomplish the opposite of a killswitch: a fail-over switch for whenever this is desired.

A kill switch might be somewhat useful if the tunnel is not brought up after a reboot.
Failover/watchdog is useful and not very difficult to implement , you can always borrow it from other third party firmwares ;)

I uploaded a pair of test builds to https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/test-builds . These are alpha-level test builds. They are still a work in progress, and no support is provided for them.
Cool stuff thanks, any word on when Asus might be forwarding you the required bits for say the AX86U?
Or is your plan of attack to first deploy a stable non-alpha/beta for these two routers before you branch-out into the other models of which you had supported previously?

Well, here it is for hopefully a better version.
Testing the Alpha, fortune favors the brave ones.

Smooth update from 386.8 to the new test build 388.1_alpha1-gacf408e082 on RT-AX88u
Will test Wireguard server next week and see how that works ;)
Thanks RMerlin

Cool stuff thanks, any word on when Asus might be forwarding you the required bits for say the AX86U?
Since they missed the previous ETAs/timetables I have absolutely no idea which model I will get and when I will get them.

In the short term the XT12 will probably be next, as I received the GPL for it today, however I just noticed they sent it for a different version than the GT-AX11000 and RT-AX88U, so I will need to figure out how I can deal with that.

In any way, it`s going to be... complicated.

Since they missed the previous ETAs/timetables I have absolutely no idea which model I will get and when I will get them.
I kinda figured as much, but thanks for answering. Regardless of how this is (deployed or rolls-out)... all your efforts are appreciated very much. Thx Again

I uploaded a pair of test builds to https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/test-builds . These are alpha-level test builds. They are still a work in progress, and no support is provided for them.

My dear friend @RMerlin
As it seems, that is the most smoothest alpha you had in a lot of time.
Thank you, my most annoying bug is resolved here which is WiFi drivers.

Back to the old days which ASUS were not so annoying and everything worked, as should.

WIll give it to run for few hours and will do a good reboot for the whole system.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!