What's new

[Dev] Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 development

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filthily loaded the latest Alpha from yesterday (388.1_alpha1-g96084cefee) on my RT-AX88U AP's - no issues to report.

I noticed all the routers currently having binary blobs for 388_1 are AXs. Merlin, Do you have a sense whether the AC86 and AC68 will receive support for 388?

Didn't like the wifi behaviour with 160 MHz on 5ghz.
Almost all the reported WIFI issues here are due to a device problem, configuration issue, or environmental conditions. If you found you were uniquely affected, this is why. Sometimes a reset to defaults and hand configuration, can prove if it's a firmware issue. It never is, to be honest. WIFI is rarely modified, if only for a driver upgrades, which are rare.

Almost all the reported WIFI issues here are due to a device problem, configuration issue, or environmental conditions. If you found you were uniquely affected, this is why. Sometimes a reset to defaults and hand configuration, can prove if it's a firmware issue. It never is, to be honest. WIFI is rarely modified, if only for a driver upgrades, which are rare.
Its a reported issue with many people experiencing it... Doesn't matter regardless it not the time nor place. It works now so that's all that matters :)

Saw RT-AX86U_PRO_388.1_alpha1_gf4725b5129.zip so I excitedly downloaded it. But when I expanded the zip file, what looked like the firmware had "nand_squashfs.pkgtb" as an extension and my AX86U was not happy about it and refused it. Was thinking of renaming it to try again but with everyone anxious for an AX86 build, figured I'd ask and double check before trying again...

Was thinking of renaming it to try again but with everyone anxious for an AX86 build, figured I'd ask and double check before trying again...
You have an RT-AX86U, and this firmware is for the RT-AX86U_PRO.

All required GPLs have now been received and merged in, and I worked out the last remaining fixes/changes I had planned for 388.1. We should be good to hit beta sometime this weekend.

The final changes were around VPN Director's UI, and also I finally went ahead with a long-planned rebranding of DNSFilter. Starting with 388.1, DNSFilter will be renamed DNS Director.
  • Avoid confusion with the company of the same name (note that this company was founded AFTER I initially created DNSFilter, so don't blame me :) )
  • Better describe what this feature does
  • Aligns nicely alongside VPN Director.
  • No functionality was changed, just the web page was renamed, and the description revised. Documentation will be updated once the final release is launched.

As for the revamped VPN Director page, the stop/start client links were replaced by the enable/disable images already used for enabling/disabling rules. Also an edit button was added next to each client (trust me, what seemed a fairly simple change turned into a multi-hours project to work out how to open that specific page on that specific client unit!). Finally, the documentation was moved to the Wiki, so you won't need to scroll too far down to be able to view/edit the rules.

VPNDirector-v2.png

I finally went ahead with a long-planned rebranding of DNSFilter. Starting with 388.1, DNSFilter will be renamed DNS Director.
  • Avoid confusion with the company of the same name (note that this company was founded AFTER I initially created DNSFilter, so don't blame me :) )
  • No functionality was changed, just the web page was renamed, and the description revised. Documentation will be updated once the final release is launched.
Did any of your nvram variable naming change for dns filter?

All required GPLs have now been received and merged in, and I worked out the last remaining fixes/changes I had planned for 388.1. We should be good to hit beta sometime this weekend.

The final changes were around VPN Director's UI, and also I finally went ahead with a long-planned rebranding of DNSFilter. Starting with 388.1, DNSFilter will be renamed DNS Director.

As for the revamped VPN Director page, the stop/start client links were replaced by the enable/disable images already used for enabling/disabling rules. Also an edit button was added next to each client (trust me, what seemed a fairly simple change turned into a multi-hours project to work out how to open that specific page on that specific client unit!). Finally, the documentation was moved to the Wiki, so you won't need to scroll too far down to be able to view/edit the rules.

View attachment 45185
Hello RMerlin.

Just a question on the beta release:
RT-AX88U and GT-AX11000 are merged with GPL 388_20566, so I understand that finally GPL 388_21224 will not be available for them. Does It imply any restricción in the functionality? Or on the other hand, are the problems found and solved for other models not affecting to RT-AX88U and GT-AX11000?

Thak you for your valuable work.

So ax86u won't have a alpha per se just the beta if all goes well this weekend? Cheers mate

Hello RMerlin.

Just a question on the beta release:
RT-AX88U and GT-AX11000 are merged with GPL 388_20566, so I understand that finally GPL 388_21224 will not be available for them. Does It imply any restricción in the functionality? Or on the other hand, are the problems found and solved for other models not affecting to RT-AX88U and GT-AX11000?

Thak you for your valuable work.
I don't know what are the exact changes between the two. But with so many supported models now, people will have to get used to not having every models always on the same or the latest release. It took over a month to get all of these 388 GPLs.

I cannot get my GT-AXE16000 to flash any of the alpha 388.1 firmware's now. I've tried a factory restore and initialise all settings but same outcome. Remains at 386.8.
I manged to flash the first alpha a few weeks ago but 2.4 WiFi wasn't working properly. I cannot flash this or the more recent ones now.
I can flash Asus and then back to 386.8 but it refuses to flash 388.1. Any ideas how to troubleshoot this please?

Apologies if deemed off topic. I will create a new thread if so.

HB

I cannot get my GT-AXE16000 to flash any of the alpha 388.1 firmware's now. I've tried a factory restore and initialise all settings but same outcome. Remains at 386.8.
I manged to flash the first alpha a few weeks ago but 2.4 WiFi wasn't working properly. I cannot flash this or the more recent ones now.
I can flash Asus and then back to 386.8 but it refuses to flash 388.1. Any ideas how to troubleshoot this please?

Apologies if deemed off topic. I will create a new thread if so.

HB
Did you unzip it first?

Did you unzip it first?
I did. I have tried both the rog and non-rog versions.
It gets to about 12% on the upload page and the router then appears to just reboot. No USBs are connected.

HB

1667645005687.png

I did. I have tried both the rog and non-rog versions.
It gets to about 12% on the upload page and the router then appears to just reboot. No USBs are connected.

HB

View attachment 45194
Use the firmware recovery tool. It should work. You should only have to do this once, if this continues return the router with stock firmware on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.