What's new

DHCP Lease Time

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

paradeedle

New Around Here
Is it possible to change the DHCP Lease duration on Voxels 1.0.2.63SF firmware? I have been tracking down an issue with why my Nest Outdoor Cam drops around the same time every day and I’m wondering if it’s when the DHCP lease renews.

I suggest you give the camera a reserved address to avoid DHCP lease problems.
In the Netgear Genie WEBGUI: Advanced: -> Setup: -> LAN Setup -> Address Reservation

# You can even set fixed ARP address for IP Camera, e.g.:
ip neigh replace 192.168.1.123 dev br0 lladdr 11:22:33:aa:bb:cc nud permanent

PS
The lease time is 3 hours (10800 seconds) :
Code:
root@R7800:/$ nvram show | grep lease
lan_lease=86400
wan_lease=86400
dhcpc_lease_time=10800
dhcpc_lease_obtain=103865

Last edited:
Right, but a DHCP Reservation is not the same as a static IP. The Nest camera is not capable of setting a static IP so the camera will still try to renew its lease and so I think I will still see a drop. I will test to see if that fixes the issue though.

So after a bunch of testing, it wasn't a DHCP issue after-all. My issue is apparently with 5GHz on the R7800. I disabled Smart Connect and started using 2 separate SSIDs for 2.5GHz and 5.0GHz. I still continued having the issue where the camera would drop once or twice daily when connected to 5GHz but is perfectly fine on 2.4GHz.

I have no idea what is causing the camera to only drop one or two times a day on 5GHz since it usually in the middle of the night when I would figure there would be less interference but it is working fine on 2.4GHz, so I am just going to leave it there.

Actually I have noted the same thing for 2.4 GHz, the devices logs a "DHCP IP" issue about every 12 hours, with a small jitter of up to 20 minutes.

Only one of my devices (A web-camera) complains about this, but it's visible in the system log-file:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/netgear-r7800-x4s-firmware-1-0-2-60.49434/page-2#post-442061

(The same issue with Netgear Stock FW)

PS
To supervise e.g. 192.168.1.106, you can add the following command to /etc/rc.local:
Code:
(sleep 60; tail -f -n1000 /tmp/log/messages | awk /"192.168.1.106"/ >>/DHCP106.txt) &

and then look at the file with e.g.:
Code:
cat /DHCP106.txt

So after a bunch of testing, it wasn't a DHCP issue after-all. My issue is apparently with 5GHz on the R7800. I disabled Smart Connect and started using 2 separate SSIDs for 2.5GHz and 5.0GHz. I still continued having the issue where the camera would drop once or twice daily when connected to 5GHz but is perfectly fine on 2.4GHz.

I have no idea what is causing the camera to only drop one or two times a day on 5GHz since it usually in the middle of the night when I would figure there would be less interference but it is working fine on 2.4GHz, so I am just going to leave it there.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!