What's new

DHCP Manually Assigned IP-Not consistent

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yorlik

New Around Here
I have Wyze cameras I cannot set static IPs on, and they have no DNS name - only MAC addresses, so I must rely on the manual table in my RT-AC68U to pre-assign IP's to them so my Blue Iris software sees them.

Problem is this manual table does not always work! It seems any camera coming online thru an Aimesh type repeater does not always get the correct IP address assigned.

I have two cameras that go thru a Netgear repeater; they often get the camera IP and repeated different IP swapped. I just bought a cool 4G-AC68U (to try with my visible.com SIM card and it does not work) so added it as an Aimesh repeater... most of the time on reboot of the cameras going thru it, the 68U gets the IP address assigned wrong - most of the time +1 (192...241 becomes 192...242).

Would flashing the 68U to Asus-Merlin maybe fix this nonsense? Or am I doing something wrong?

Hmm. Makes me wonder if perhaps the MAC address used by these Wyze cameras *might* be susceptible to changing. iOS devices now alter MAC addresses too (starting w/ v14), but for privacy reasons.

Just hard to tell w/ that first link if it's saying the MAC address you see on the router might be different from what's reported on the device itself, but otherwise remains fixed for its lifetime, or whether it might vary from boot to boot. The second link would suggest the latter.

Hmm. Makes me wonder if perhaps the MAC address used by these Wyze cameras *might* be susceptible to changing. iOS devices now alter MAC addresses too (starting w/ v14), but for privacy reasons.

Just hard to tell w/ that first link if it's saying the MAC address you see on the router might be different from what's reported on the device itself, but otherwise remains fixed for its lifetime, or whether it might vary from boot to boot. The second link would suggest the latter.
Thanks for that idea. I can confirm that in all cases the MAC address is remaining constant. I reboot each camera, 1 minute apart, from midnight to about 12:30am... I assume it is at this time they are getting their IP addresses mixed up. I really do not want to have to search camera footages to see if that is the case. I am more inclined to change to merlin to see if that makes it work again (I need to add startup scripts for phone TTL change anyway - this could be my excuse to bite the bullet!)

But I'm not sure switching to Merlin would fix this issue, since if the MAC address is consistent, there's no reason either the stock firmware or Merlin would behave differently (esp. if this is happening consistently and only when those clients are routed through the mesh network). Unless there's just a bug in the stock firmware. But if you're open to using Merlin anyway, perhaps that might fix the problem, even if it doesn't make sense why.

I have Wyze cameras I cannot set static IPs on, and they have no DNS name - only MAC addresses, so I must rely on the manual table in my RT-AC68U to pre-assign IP's to them so my Blue Iris software sees them.

Problem is this manual table does not always work! It seems any camera coming online thru an Aimesh type repeater does not always get the correct IP address assigned.

I have two cameras that go thru a Netgear repeater; they often get the camera IP and repeated different IP swapped. I just bought a cool 4G-AC68U (to try with my visible.com SIM card and it does not work) so added it as an Aimesh repeater... most of the time on reboot of the cameras going thru it, the 68U gets the IP address assigned wrong - most of the time +1 (192...241 becomes 192...242).

Would flashing the 68U to Asus-Merlin maybe fix this nonsense? Or am I doing something wrong?

I was going to test this but my Wyze cam is on a guest WLAN with different 101.* IPs. I could not add a manual 101.x IP to the router list.

Can I ask, are there any tricks to using Blue Iris with Wyze cams? If you have experience with Blue Iris, do you recommend it?

OE

I was going to test this but my Wyze cam is on a guest WLAN with different 101.* IPs. I could not add a manual 101.x IP to the router list.

Can I ask, are there any tricks to using Blue Iris with Wyze cams? If you have experience with Blue Iris, do you recommend it?

OE
OE, I do recommend it. Trick? Sorta but not exactly... Wyze offers an older fw that has RTSP output. So you have flash the cameras with it. This stops all 'new'fw updates of course, but I see no degredation to any of my cameras performance or features compared to non flashed ones. There is no RTSP fw for the v1 models, just v2 & pan. Waiting on buying any new v3 until they add RTSP natively to them. Also, OLD Blue Iris versions appear to no work with wyze: ver 5.0 and newer does. The camera line in BI is just rtsp://192.168.x.254/live. BI does still seem to have an issue and looses Wyze RTSP about once every couple days - my solution is to set a wyze rule to reboot each at midnight each day and that seems to keep them alive in BI. I'd be happy to share any more details if you want to try it out on your end!

OE, I do recommend it. Trick? Sorta but not exactly... Wyze offers an older fw that has RTSP output. So you have flash the cameras with it. This stops all 'new'fw updates of course, but I see no degredation to any of my cameras performance or features compared to non flashed ones. There is no RTSP fw for the v1 models, just v2 & pan. Waiting on buying any new v3 until they add RTSP natively to them. Also, OLD Blue Iris versions appear to no work with wyze: ver 5.0 and newer does. The camera line in BI is just rtsp://192.168.x.254/live. BI does still seem to have an issue and looses Wyze RTSP about once every couple days - my solution is to set a wyze rule to reboot each at midnight each day and that seems to keep them alive in BI. I'd be happy to share any more details if you want to try it out on your end!

Thanks for the spin up, that helps. I want to try the outdoor cams so I guess I'll look/wait for RTSP support.

OE