What's new

DHCP, Starlink, and ASUS RT-AC68U Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ted03

New Around Here
Hi,

I've spent a couple of nights trying to replace the Starlink Gen 2 (square dish; low tier service (i.e., not the $500/mo. deal)) and have run into complications pointing to the DHCP. I've searched this issue and on the second night I thought I had resolved it but the DHCP issue resurfaced after about 30 minutes. It's been a couple of weeks since these failed attempts so I can't remember the details. Given the failures I've been reluctant to try it again without some additional knowledge or ideas of how to overcome this problem.

I have the Starlink ethernet adapter. The ASUS router has the latest Merlin asuswrt. I'm trying to make the initial setup via ethernet. Has anyone run into this issue and found a solution? If not, any suggestions?

Much thanks in advance!

From what I know of StarLink from reddit, trying to use a router other than the included one as the router for your network is difficult/frustrating/pointless.
your Asus will best be used as an AP.

I don't know how anyone can be expected to help when you've provided no details as to your problems. You've only made a vague reference to DHCP and "complications".

If it was *me*, I would use the OEM provided router for initial setup and configuration. Why complicate matters when you're just starting out?

As far as using third-party routers, I've been following Chris Sherwood w/ CrossTalk Solutions over on YouTube and his experiences w/ Starlink. I don't recall him having issues w/ third party routers, other than a change in the latest Starlink hardware no longer including an ethernet port, thus requiring a separate adapter to connect your own router. But even he initially configured it w/ the OEM provided router.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!